Material Test Suite

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ovvldc
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ovvldc »

Starting material test suite 1.0 under Oolite 1.74 and Mac OS X Version 10.6.4 (Build 10F569) (x86-64 test release) with OpenGL renderer "NVIDIA GeForce 9400M OpenGL Engine", vendor "NVIDIA Corporation"; shaders are fully supported, texture image unit count is 16.
All cubes showed. Dust was flecky in normal flight and zoomy in torus flight.

Fantastic. You remained resolute and resourceful in an atmosphere of extreme pessimism.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

<sniffs air>

No pessimism detected here sir.... :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

The material test suite has been updated to version 1.1. The only difference is that the green glow of the emission map is more clearly visible in tests 6, 7 and 12. There’s no great need to run it again, unless you really want to. Also, the wiki page has been updated with a description of each test case.

Being a complete idiot, I threw away the hacked-up code used to take consistent screen shots, so the samples have not been updated.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Code: Select all

[materialTest.start]: Starting material test suite 1.1 under Oolite 1.74.2 and Windows (x86-32 test release) with OpenGL renderer "ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Omega 3.8.442)", vendor "ATI Technologies Inc."; shaders are fully supported, texture image unit count is 16.
Running XP Pro on a 3.5 year old Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop.

All systems nominal. Dust dusty. Nothing* to report.

*Having just installed 1.74.2 today, I was a bit late to the party, so all the pie was gone.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: Material Test Suite

Post by JensAyton »

[EliteWiki] The test suite has been updated for 1.75 and later. Other than changing the nominal version requirement, the main difference is that it demonstrates the use of a high-resolution backdrop image. The actual tests haven’t changed and there’s no need to re-run it unless you’re having rendering problems.
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Just completed a successful test on windows7 64bit. :D Not sure if the rest of the info is needed but here it is anyway. But I too was late and there was no pie :(

Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model Inspiron 1545
Total amount of system memory 3.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2

Display adapter type Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Total available graphics memory 1292 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 32 MB
Dedicated system memory 32 MB
Shared system memory 1228 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.15.10.1808
Primary monitor resolution 1366x768
DirectX version DirectX 10

Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

DirectX? Oolite uses OpenGL which is slightly different. Unless you're saying that the OpenGL driver is in fact a thin layer above the DirectX driver ( an unholy union, as far as I'm concerned! :P ), the DirectX version has no relevance whatsoever to running Oolite, I'm afraid...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Kaks wrote:
DirectX? Oolite uses OpenGL which is slightly different. Unless you're saying that the OpenGL driver is in fact a thin layer above the DirectX driver ( an unholy union, as far as I'm concerned! :P ), the DirectX version has no relevance whatsoever to running Oolite, I'm afraid...
I have no idea what you have just said! :roll:
Should I change something to make things run better? Should I look for another piece of information on my system which might make this test useful in some way?
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lone_Wolf »

The test is useful to determine how well your system supports the effects Oolite needs.

DirectX is a windows-only graphics standard and doesn't exist for *nix systems (apple OS x , linuxes , BSD, solaris etc).
Ollite uses OpenGL instead, a graphics standard that is multi-platform.

In the oolite latest.log file look for lines like the ones i copied below, they are not far from the start .

00:48:41.115 [rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 2.1.0 ("2.1 Mesa 7.11-devel"). Vendor: "X.Org". Renderer: "Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV770".
00:48:41.115 [rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (129):
GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once, GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_NV_texture_barrier, GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object, GL_ARB_draw_instanced, GL_ARB_half_float_vertex, GL_IBM_multimode_draw_arrays, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_ARB_framebuffer_object, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, GL_EXT_texture_cube_map, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_ARB_multisample, GL_ATI_separate_stencil, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two, GL_INGR_blend_func_separate, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_ARB_sync, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3, GL_EXT_provoking_vertex, GL_APPLE_packed_pixels, GL_NV_light_max_exponent, GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays, GL_ARB_map_buffer_range, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip, GL_EXT_texture_object, GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3, GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, GL_NV_texture_env_combine4, GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_texture_swizzle, GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit, GL_MESA_pack_invert, GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra, GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil, GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_ARB_vertex_array_object, GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_ARB_texture_swizzle, GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object, GL_EXT_subtexture, GL_ARB_occlusion_query2, GL_MESA_texture_signed_rgba, GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_ARB_depth_clamp, GL_NV_depth_clamp, GL_EXT_vertex_array, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_ARB_instanced_arrays, GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample, GL_NV_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_texture, GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra, GL_ARB_copy_buffer, GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex, GL_ARB_shadow, GL_EXT_draw_instanced, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_EXT_separate_shader_objects, GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow, GL_MESA_window_pos, GL_ARB_shader_stencil_export, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_EXT_texture_snorm, GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode, GL_ARB_texture_rg, GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_copy_texture, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_ARB_explicit_attrib_location, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_EXT_blend_logic_op, GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil, GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_SGIS_texture_lod, GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters, GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_OES_EGL_image, GL_EXT_polygon_offset, GL_ARB_shading_language_100, GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_EXT_point_parameters, GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_EXT_draw_buffers2, GL_EXT_texture_rectangle, GL_ATI_blend_equation_separate, GL_OES_read_format, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp, GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_ARB_provoking_vertex, GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp

OXPs : My user page

Retired, reachable at [email protected]
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Is this what your looking for

16:06:05.656 [rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 2.1.0 ("2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.1808"). Vendor: "Intel". Renderer: "Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family".
16:06:05.656 [rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (68):
GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_ARB_color_buffer_float, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB, GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two, GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_NV_blend_square, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_shading_language_100, GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_EXT_bgra, GL_EXT_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_shadow, GL_ATI_separate_stencil, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_ARB_texture_float, GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_WIN_swap_hint, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_ARB_texture_compression, GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_texture_swizzle, GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_SGIS_texture_lod
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lone_Wolf »

Yes, that is the relevant info for the graphics part of Ooolite.

Your card/laptop should be able to do all effects Oolite uses (and probably also Oolite 2).

OXPs : My user page

Retired, reachable at [email protected]
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

So was this test useful to anyone?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Fatleaf wrote:
No, not really. :-) We established that it worked in the 1.74 time frame, and – as I said when I bumped the thread – the updated version doesn’t add anything substantial. I only announced the update because it’s our only demonstration of high-res backdrops.
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Ahruman wrote:
Fatleaf wrote:
No, not really. :-) We established that it worked in the 1.74 time frame, and – as I said when I bumped the thread – the updated version doesn’t add anything substantial. I only announced the update because it’s our only demonstration of high-res backdrops.
So:
a) is there any benefit anyone running this test?
b) is there any benefit anyone providing results any more (including failures)?
c) should the Wiki still say "We request that as many people as possible try out the test suite, on as many machines as they can – within reason – and on multiple operating systems if practical."
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

SandJ wrote:
a) is there any benefit anyone running this test?
It’s worth keeping around in case someone has rendering errors using standard materials, but not in general.
SandJ wrote:
b) is there any benefit anyone providing results any more (including failures)?
Failures are of interest.
SandJ wrote:
c) should the Wiki still say "We request that as many people as possible try out the test suite, on as many machines as they can – within reason – and on multiple operating systems if practical."
No. This has now been changed.