Editing the Wiki

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Smivs wrote:
Agreed, like the idea. You could add some of the 'custom paintjobs' too. Smivs'Shipset, and Deepspace ships have replacement textures for the main stations, and Griff has some mean Dodo's (and maybe others).
Also it is now quite hard to find the replacement ship sets (Smivs', Deepspace, Neolite, Sungs and Griffs, so perhaps a Replacement Ships Sets list could be added to the main 'All OXPs by Category' page.
Good point, retextures/shipsets should have their own section. It's on my to do list.

Also, I was tired of Stations sharing an infobox (the box in the top right with an image and all the stats) with ships (which also put all the stations in the ship category), so I made a new infobox just for stations, all the stations on Oolite Stations have been updated to use the new box. The new infobox has only station-related stats (no more 'Hyperspace Capable' sections, added stuff like defenders, etc) Still have a few stations to add to the Oolite Stations page, and give the new infobox.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Random Hits Autominer

Post by Eric Walch »

Also, I was tired of Stations sharing an infobox
I just looked at the station page and noticed the "autominer" Its no station. Just a rock with an installation on it. From time to time the "hopper" flies by and the autominer sends out parcels in the direction of the hopper. But that is not the equivalent of ship launching. More like missile launches. (The packages are even defined as missiles). To be honest, I have no idea what this concept has to do in random hits but it is present.

The parcels that are shot away are small pieces of art from Griff. Its just a shame nobody ever comes close enough to see them in full quality. Somehow I look for a reason to display them on a mission screen in a future release. There they look really awesome.

Eric
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

You could have a convict/slave planning to escape a (penal) mining station using one of these as an improvised vehicle. The player needs to hang around a specific mining station, waiting for a parcel with different mass than all the others, then follow it until it reaches the accomplice's ship, blow that ship, then collect both accomplice & escapee...

Or there could be reports of 1 in 10 of the parcels going missing, so you need to patrol their route until the thief shows up...

'All' that's now needed is coding! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Random Hits Autominer

Post by ADCK »

I just looked at the station page and noticed the "autominer" Its no station. Just a rock with an installation on it. From time to time the "hopper" flies by and the autominer sends out parcels in the direction of the hopper. But that is not the equivalent of ship launching. More like missile launches. (The packages are even defined as missiles). To be honest, I have no idea what this concept has to do in random hits but it is present.

The parcels that are shot away are small pieces of art from Griff. Its just a shame nobody ever comes close enough to see them in full quality. Somehow I look for a reason to display them on a mission screen in a future release. There they look really awesome.

Eric
Ya I know it's not a station in the sense as a dockable space staion, but it's also not a ship, it went into the station category because its more closer to a station than a ship.
It's almost the same as a rock hermit, both have buildings and are on an asteroid.

I would of felt it more odd putting it in the ships category.

Added a note about it on GalMine Autominer to avoid confusion.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Surely the important point here is if you can dock at the thing or not? It's a station/carrier if you can, if not it shouldn't be in the list.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Thargoid wrote:
Surely the important point here is if you can dock at the thing or not? It's a station/carrier if you can, if not it shouldn't be in the list.
Good point... Hmm... Guess make a new category? Currently there's 'ships' 'stations' 'carriers' and the autominer doesnt really fit into any of the three, I guess we could call it 'sattelites' or 'un-manned'
OR 'annoying-things-that-dont-really-fit-in-any-category-that-make-ADCK-go-crazy'? :P

Also, found a long-lost infobox for OXP's that has only been used by one OXP in the past 3 years since it was created, cleaned it up a little and added it to my four OXPS.
see here for an example.
It's pretty easy to use in an OXP page.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Do we actually need such fine definitions? What benefit to they give the player? For me the only thing I'd really care about is:

• Is it trunk or OXP?
  • Is there a player version or not?
  • Can I dock with it?
  • Statistics as appropriate.
Beyond that I don't care if it's a carrier or a station as long as I can dock with it and get equipment or trade. Similarly if I can't dock with it then it's a ship (or an entity of you want a broader definition) and that'll do for that. I don't really care if it's manned or not, or other such minor points.

Or to look at it from the over side, if you're categorising by OXPs, what ships they add, what dockable objects they add (be they stations or carriers, who cares?) and what their purpose is (missions, eye candy, equipment etc). As those latter ones may be singular or multiple that'd probably be simplest in a table with a Y/N simple column for each. That then nicely covers all the retextures that don't add new ships, and indeed allows some differentiation between reskins and "re-imaginings" like Neolite.

At the end of the day the wiki is a reference source - if you end up with a huge volume of categories and nit-picks it may be very comprehensive, but conversely it also risks becoming next to useless as a resource.[/color]
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

ADCK wrote:
Good point... Hmm... Guess make a new category? Currently there's 'ships' 'stations' 'carriers' and the autominer doesnt really fit into any of the three, I guess we could call it 'sattelites' or 'un-manned'
OR 'annoying-things-that-dont-really-fit-in-any-category-that-make-ADCK-go-crazy'? :P
This kind of thing is what the word “other” was invented for.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Ahruman wrote:
ADCK wrote:
This kind of thing is what the word “other” was invented for.
8) Filing under 'other' as we speak.

Done, presenting: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Catego ... cellaneous

For all your Miscellaneous needs!

Only 3 things in that category at the moment (Asteroid, Cargo Container, and the GalMine AutoMiner)
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Last edited by ADCK on Mon May 31, 2010 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

ADCK wrote:
Typo: "a contrast-inproving overlay"
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

My eyes! I was planning to see with those! :D
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Kaks wrote:
My eyes! I was planning to see with those! :D
It's mimicing Killer Wolfs original page, If I get too many complaints i'll switch it back to the default colour theme.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

The colour scheme is rubbish - but I was being polite - but now others have brought it up...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

cheers for that critique on my aesthetic choices.