Editing the Wiki

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Editing the Wiki

Post by JazHaz »

Think there should be a discussion thread about editing the wiki, so I have made one. :D

First item, I have changed the ship galleries for the Neolite, Griff, Deepspace, and the forthcoming Smivs Shipsets, to a 100% table width and black background colour. It looks much better.

However there seems to be borders around the images (in the Griff one especially). Anyone know how to get rid of them? I've tried setting borders to zero but that doesn't work unlike in HTML.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Editting the Wiki

Post by Smivs »

JazHaz wrote:
Think there should be a discussion thread about editting the wiki, so I have made one. :D

First item, I have changed the ship galleries for the Neolite, Griff, Deepspace, and the forthcoming Smivs Shipsets, to a 100% table width and black background colour. It looks much better.

However there seems to be borders around the images (in the Griff one especially). Anyone know how to get rid of them? I've tried setting borders to zero but that doesn't work unlike in HTML.
The galleries are looking much better with the black background.
With regard to the border, I have looked at the pages (Griffs in particular) and can't see them. I've used Opera and Firefox on my Linux box and fired up my old Windows box to check on IE6, Chrome and Safari and no borders to be seen. It might be to do with the hover or onmouseover which tells you which ship you're looking at (which doesn't work on Opera by the way).
If the pictures act as a hyperlink (<a href= ***etc></a>) you might need to use
a img {border: none; }
or something similar in the stylesheet.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Smivs wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
With regard to the border, I have looked at the pages (Griffs in particular) and can't see them.
Here's a screengrab showing the borders I mean. They are dark grey in colour so maybe you need to change your gamma settings to see them?

JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Pluisje
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Pluisje »

With Firefox 3.6 and Safari 4.0.5 on a MacMini I also see the borders. When zooming they look to be part of the pictures. The original pictures when following the link don't have the border.

I think somewhere there is an anti-aliasing function interfering.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

JazHaz wrote:
Smivs wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
With regard to the border, I have looked at the pages (Griffs in particular) and can't see them.
Here's a screengrab showing the borders I mean. They are dark grey in colour so maybe you need to change your gamma settings to see them?

I still can't see them, even in your screenshot, but I guess that's a good thing really. No real idea what might be causing them...Sorry :(
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Pluisje wrote:
With Firefox 3.6 and Safari 4.0.5 on a MacMini I also see the borders. When zooming they look to be part of the pictures. The original pictures when following the link don't have the border.
Yeah I checked out the original files, and zoomed in using Gimp, but they don't have borders at all.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

The original images do have the borders, you just can’t see them against a light background. Don’t trust your eyes, use an eyedropper tool or similar.

The borders are probably an effect of scaling using software that doesn’t handle edges well. The easiest workaround is to crop the images by a couple of pixels.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Ahruman wrote:
The easiest workaround is to crop the images by a couple of pixels.
Don't think I'll bother to be honest. If it was a case of faulty wiki code that could be sorted, then yes I would. But editting images to stop artifacts that not everyone notices, I don't think its worth it....! :)
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

i only see the borders on Griffs Normalmapped ships, all his other ships on that page don't have borders. I think he takes the screenshots for the normalmapped ships in a 3rd party model viewer if I remember right.

Perhaps that 3rd party program adds borders to its screenshots, as the borders are exactly 1 pixel width and uniform in color in the full size pics (not the thumbnails), if it was image fragmentation there would be some variation on this. Or perhaps Griff's taken to bluring a picture before uploading it? That would produce the same effect.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

ADCK wrote:
Perhaps that 3rd party program adds borders to its screenshots, as the borders are exactly 1 pixel width and uniform in color in the full size pics (not the thumbnails), if it was image fragmentation there would be some variation on this. Or perhaps Griff's taken to bluring a picture before uploading it? That would produce the same effect.
Or it’s an effect of scaling using software that doesn’t handle edges well.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

i shall put an end to the mystery - yep, i take the screen grabs in rendermonkey then scale them down so they're 300 pixels wide in Photoshop, i must have been forgetting to set the background colour to black before doing the resizing and it's added that antialiased border in. If i edit the originals in my photobucket account, will the changes automagically transfer to the wiki ones or are the wiki pics stored in the wiki?
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Griff wrote:
i shall put an end to the mystery - yep, i take the screen grabs in rendermonkey then scale them down so they're 300 pixels wide in Photoshop, i must have been forgetting to set the background colour to black before doing the resizing and it's added that antialiased border in. If i edit the originals in my photobucket account, will the changes automagically transfer to the wiki ones or are the wiki pics stored in the wiki?
No, those screenshots were uploaded to the wiki.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

ADCK wrote:
Griff wrote:
No, those screenshots were uploaded to the wiki.
Griff, let us know if you edit them on photobucket. Please then give me a link to your photobucket account, and I'll grab them and update the ones on the wiki.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I've been through them cropping a few pixels from the edges using the tools in photobucket, i've shared the album and here's the link
http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m213 ... d%20Ships/
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Griff wrote:
I've been through them cropping a few pixels from the edges using the tools in photobucket, i've shared the album and here's the link
http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m213 ... d%20Ships/
OK have grabbed them all. Just need to go through and rename them to match the existing ones so I can update them. This means I won't need to do much extra work, although having said that I notice that there are some new images that aren't on the wiki.

EDIT: updated all the images. Mostly that did fix the problem, however there were 4 files that had even worse borders! :lol: So I loaded them into Gimp and ran around the borders of them with a paintbrush, which seems to have finally sorted it (although I had to have 3 attempts on one of the Fer-de-lances :lol:).
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.