Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[RELEASE] Iron Raven

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] Iron Raven

Post by Okti »

Good work Ramirez,

I was quite lucky to be on the board just before unexpected incidence happened and I had new years eve and the weekend to go through the mission again.

There are some typo's in JS and I will try to point them to you.

1- SDF Investigation:

The List dialog is not displayed. Either a return; or break; is required after line 837. Otherwise the other mission screen is dispayed.

It may be an idea to break IR_JANES_SDF_answer_1 into two mission screens because all mission text is not displayed in 1024x768 resolution.

2- IR_PW_QUESTIONS

Needs a break; in JS after Line 1019

The second İf block also requires a break;

3-KORKSHOW

All İf blocks require a return;

4- IR_SDF_quest_5 must be IR_SDF_quest_6 To display the right message

5- When SDF is completed the mission instructions are not cleared becouse of mission.setInstructionsKey(null, "IR_SDF.js") it must be mission.setInstructionsKey(null, "IR-SDF.js").

6- Defences

Janes

In JS IR_JANES_defences_answer should be IR_JANES_defences_answer_1 to display the right mission text.

7- Finance

KORKSHOW

After Check Manifest Else block is required

8- IR_LOA_3 must be in planetnumber 149 for Arenxeon instead of 165

9- IR_LEXICON_4 must be before playership.launch

10- if(system.ID == 63 && missionVariables.IR_status == "IR_sources_3") //Edsoan

83 must be 63 for Edsoan

Apart from those The apartment block in Inorle still causes OOLITE to crash in Windows.

Thanks for the great mission I really enjoyed it

Okti
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

Thanks Okti, I've gone through those and I think I've fixed them. I still don't know what the problem is with the apartment block though. I assume it's an issue with the model - have you tried spawning it in another system using the console at all? In Inorle it should appear on the other side of the planet from the space station. I'll try it in my XP install and see if something's different there.

Going through the script I noticed I had accidentally removed some of the pictures that are vital for the SDF investigation thread, so I've added these back in. Also, I forgot to add a note to the readme about the dependency on NuVipers, which is comes into play towards the end of the mission.

Other than the errors you identified, did the in-game elements hold up OK? A lot of the set-pieces rely on the AI being left to do its thing, so while sometimes you get a spectacular space battle, occasionally the NPCs don't quite behave themselves. Also I was trying to find new ways of communicating to the player in real time outside of the mission screens, so I'd be interested in how you thought that came across.
Download Resistance Commander plus many other exciting OXPs HERE
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

Hi Ramirez,

I think Some of the mission instructions for the investigation can be more descriptive for related stages, especially the ones with the death lines. Korkshow is quite good but the others do not give the player about the progress he has done.

One other bug in the mission I found is, if sources is selected and if the player kills the sdf-landers, the status changes to IR_Landers and the rest of the mission does not progress. Maybe you might add a line to JS to check for the current system.

I choosed to buy the shipment so I didn't check other options, when I have time I will go through that path.

I didn't try to spawn the apartment block in another system yet.

Thanks

Okti
My OXP's
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

Hi Ramirez,

Sorry about being a pain in the neck,

If the player chooses the second path for the shipment investigation, A.1.D according to plot notes, There is an inconsistincy in IR-transport.js with the main.js which is IR_transport_exit_count is refered in the main.js but previous js refers to something else.

Apart from that I noticed shipWillEnterWitchspace event in JS is never fired. I changed the code in AI to call a function in script when ever transport exited the system to increment the IR_transport_exit_count variable. Though not every time that was successfull. The reason I believe is because all transports need to gather at the same location some of them goes through the worm holes generated by the others causing the AI to hold.

Edit:

Also when an investigation is completed, the choices for the mission screens displays somthing like shipment_question_string_4

Okti
My OXP's
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

Okti wrote:
If the player chooses the second path for the shipment investigation, A.1.D according to plot notes, There is an inconsistincy in IR-transport.js with the main.js which is IR_transport_exit_count is refered in the main.js but previous js refers to something else.

Apart from that I noticed shipWillEnterWitchspace event in JS is never fired. I changed the code in AI to call a function in script when ever transport exited the system to increment the IR_transport_exit_count variable. Though not every time that was successfull. The reason I believe is because all transports need to gather at the same location some of them goes through the worm holes generated by the others causing the AI to hold.
On reflection there's no real need to do a count of the ships leaving the system - all I need is for the lead ship to trigger a comms message to prompt the player to return to the station and send a contact report. A slight problem is if the player destroys any of the ships after one of them has hyperspaced out, as this rather breaks the logic of things. I'll have a look to see how best to handle this.
Also when an investigation is completed, the choices for the mission screens displays somthing like shipment_question_string_4
Ah, I incremented the question one last time but didnt have any text to look up, so I'll add that in.

Another thing I've realised is that I haven't really scripted the full outcome for options A.1.A and A.1.B; really at some point the player should either get their money back or repay the loan. In fact I might drop A.1.A entirely or else increase the price so it forces the player to go down the other more interesting routes. I could easily make it a variable (e.g. player.credits + X), but by the time anyone's in Galaxy 8 they're likely to be a multi-millionaire and so the resulting price wouldn't make much sense compared to the rest of the mission.
Last edited by Ramirez on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onno256
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by onno256 »

Off topic here, and sorry to interrupt you guys,

I LOVED Trident down! I'm gonna wait a bit, and then grab this adventure!

Keep it up!

Greetz,
Onno.
Wheeling an' dealing while cruisin' the galaxies
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

I've applied some small fixes to address the shipWillEnterWitchspace issue; I'll look into covering off the other bits I mentioned but they're not essential to the mission.
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

Hi Ramirez,

In IR-sdf-transporter.js

Code: Select all

this.shipDied = function()

{	
		if(missionVariables.IR_status = "IR_LOA_5")
		{
		++missionVariables.IR_lander_kill_count

if(missionVariables.IR_lander_kill_count == 8)
		{player.commsMessage("Zarya-1, this is Sunray.  All assault landers have been destroyed.", 8)
		missionVariables.IR_lander_kill_count = null
		missionVariables.IR_status = "IR_landers"}
		}
}
if statement must be

if(missionVariables.IR_status == "IR_LOA_5")
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

Ok Ramirez,

I Checked the shipment bug and all seems to be working fine. Apart from some visual bugs the mission is playable.

Good work,
I will wait for next mission

Okti
My OXP's
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

I've finally got around to trying this out on my XP install, and I haven't been able to replicate the Okti's problem with the apartment complex appearing in Inorle. If anyone has Vista and would like to test this, I can provide a savegame for the right location, just give me a shout.

I've written a page for the wiki and so as I've fixed all the other issues that have been identified so far, I'll take it out of the WIP area and also update the mission pages.
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Have just jumped into G8 and begun the mission. However, this keeps on popping up in my log files. Not sure what it'll affect, as I haven't looked too deeply into the code.

20:24:56.119 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (IR-main-script.js 2.0): TypeError: weiss is undefined
20:24:56.119 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       /home/robert/.Oolite/AddOns/Iron Raven v1.0.oxp/Scripts/IR-main-script.js, line 1277.
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

I am just downloading the new version, I spend a lot of time to identify the bugs in the post release versions. Probably locate it quite soon, because I am in G8 already. :D
My OXP's
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

I've got the very first mission screen, and as far as I can tell, the error seems to have been posted every time I jumped to a new system on the way to Vegedius.

I haven't done much Oolite playing at the moment. I'm still in the process of checking out new oxps and deciding if I want them/debugging them. 'Twas hard to find that message - it only appears 9 times in a log file of 5000 or so lines. I've just spent half an hour on the internet teaching myself regular expressions so I can modify the latest.log to see what it used to be before the 1.75.1 versions, without having to suppress the messages in a logcontrol.plist so that in the unlikely case that everything buggers up and crashes, I've still got a whole log.
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

I think I found the problem

var weiss = system.shipsWithRole("IR-quico-transporter")[0]
		if(player.ship.target == weiss && !missionVariables.IR_comms)
		{
			if(missionVariables.IR_status == "IR_WEISS_1")
			{
				player.commsMessage("Weiss is probably on board that transport; I'll need to follow it.", 6)
				weiss.reactToAIMessage("PERFORM_JUMP")
				missionVariables.IR_comms = "TRUE";
			}
		else
		{
			weiss.reactToAIMessage("PERFORM_JUMP")
		}
else block needs a check for weis is null or not. 8)

Edit: and it must be at one level higher.
My OXP's
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Also

player.commsMessage("Weiss is probably on board that transport; I'll need to follow it.", 6)
is not valid code anymore.

Between Oolite 1.74 and 1.75 there was an important change in the syntax of commsMessage. The optional parameter specifying how long the message should be shown ('6' in this case) was removed. Instead there is now an optional parameter specifying the receiver of the message. '6' is not a valid ship entity.