Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Random Docking Music OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Random Docking Music OXP

Post by Diziet Sma »

JazHaz wrote:
Frame wrote:
SVRConcertoNo.ogg is Sergej Vassiljevitsj Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2 (Op. 18) - Adagio Sostenuto
Who has the copyright in that recording?

I'm concerned about the legal aspects of including that in the download?
Since it dates from 1901, I'd say it's well and truly out of copyright.. :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Diziet Sma wrote:
(If you have found some easy way to re-colour the table when you make new entries, I'd love to know how, actually..)
No I have to go through the lines deleting and inserting the bgcolor="#e7e7ff" part either up or down from the new entry, whichever is shortest.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Random Docking Music OXP

Post by Diziet Sma »

JazHaz wrote:
Frame wrote:
As discussion in the discussions forum, I created Random Docking Music..

Download here: http://www.box.net/shared/d59t39ibfc
One question, why is the download a RAR file, instead of the normal ZIP?

It's especially annoying because I don't have a RAR decoder!
Here you are mate.. by way of thanks for your Wiki-work.. I made a zip version for you.
http://www.box.net/shared/jhryjbzxtj
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
JQW
Average
Average

Post by JQW »

There's two copyrights pertaining to recorded music.

First there's the composer's copyright, which applies to the author(s) of the work - composers, lyricists etc. In Europe these copyrights expire at the end of the calendar year 70 years after the composer's death, so in the case of Sergei Rachmaninoff these won't expire until the end of 2013.

Secondly there's the performance copyright for the individual recording. In Europe these expire at the end of the calendar year 50 years after the date of the recording's commercial release at present. So this means that the recording will only be out of copyright in Europe if it was originally issued in 1959 or earlier.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

JazHaz wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
(If you have found some easy way to re-colour the table when you make new entries, I'd love to know how, actually..)
No I have to go through the lines deleting and inserting the bgcolor="#e7e7ff" part either up or down from the new entry, whichever is shortest.
Oww.. I hate that.. :evil:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

JQW wrote:
There's two copyrights pertaining to recorded music.

First there's the composer's copyright, which applies to the author(s) of the work - composers, lyricists etc. In Europe these copyrights expire at the end of the calendar year 70 years after the composer's death, so in the case of Sergei Rachmaninoff these won't expire until the end of 2013.

Secondly there's the performance copyright for the individual recording. In Europe these expire at the end of the calendar year 50 years after the date of the recording's commercial release at present. So this means that the recording will only be out of copyright in Europe if it was originally issued in 1959 or earlier.
There is however, somewhere on Wikipedia, a list of downloadable music which is placed in the public domain (usually some CC license). This could be helpful, although of course the list is limited to a couple of composers and works.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

JQW wrote:
So what does this mean for this OXP? Might the Rachmaninoff concerto need to be removed?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

The OXP works really nicely.

I downloaded the beta of Audacity as well and converted one of my iTunes music tracks (a medley of John Williams symphonies, played by HM Royal Marines Band) into OGG Vorbis format, and added it into the OXP.

Very nice, had the Imperial March from Star Wars playing as I approached the station! 8)
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
JQW
Average
Average

Post by JQW »

JazHaz wrote:
JQW wrote:
So what does this mean for this OXP? Might the Rachmaninoff concerto need to be removed?
Yes. The composer's copyright on the work doesn't expire in Europe until the end of 2013. It may also be in copyright elsewhere in the world after that, as copyright terms are not unified.

There's also the copyright on the actual performance. As there's no details in the file as to who the soloist and orchestra are, I can't determine as to when the recording was first issued. However it's probably still in copyright in Europe, and definitely still in copyright in countries with longer mechanical copyright terms such as the USA.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

What music do you now have for docking?

Post by JazHaz »

What music have you selected for docking with?

So far I have just converted one track, but it's really nice:

The Symphonic Marches of John Williams, performed by Her Majesty's Royal Marines Band, from their album, The Best of the Royal Marines.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
dalek501
Deadly
Deadly

Post by dalek501 »

Oooohhh. Ive done a fair few so far and I'm always looking out for more.

At the moment I have several of the instrumentals from Bowie's Low and Heroes albums. Terminal Frost from Pink Floyd. Several Vangelis tracks including Cosmos, Alpha and L'Enfant. I think I have done some Jean Michell Jarre but I cant remember hearing it yet. Although I think some of his stuff is too "fast" for the slow beautiful docking sequences I like.

I also have a fair few tracks of Doctor Who incidental music. Classic and new series stuff. The Leisure Hive, Planet of Fire suite, The Lone Dalek, Madame Pompadour, Fathers day and the Holgram are the ones I can remember.

I seem to like a certain style for docking, which is very relaxing and beautiful, or something "spacey". Its nice to sit back after a Thargoid pounding session and relax but stay immersed as part of the game.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

dalek501 wrote:
Oooohhh. Ive done a fair few so far and I'm always looking out for more.
I've got a feeling that having a few included would slow Oolite down a fair bit. How long does the game take to load now?
dalek501 wrote:
Terminal Frost from Pink Floyd.
Thats a good idea, I have this too.
dalek501 wrote:
I also have a fair few tracks of Doctor Who incidental music.
Where did you get them from?
dalek501 wrote:
I seem to like a certain style for docking, which is very relaxing and beautiful, or something "spacey". Its nice to sit back after a Thargoid pounding session and relax but stay immersed as part of the game.
I agree. Are all the tracks you use instrumentals? Perhaps something like Clannad might do equally well?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
dalek501
Deadly
Deadly

Post by dalek501 »

JazHaz wrote:
I've got a feeling that having a few included would slow Oolite down a fair bit. How long does the game take to load now?
I haven't really noticed any slowdown at all as far as I can tell. :)
dalek501 wrote:
Terminal Frost from Pink Floyd.
JazHaz wrote:
Thats a good idea, I have this too.
PF are my favourite band and straight away I thought there would be loads of their stuff I could use, but its actually harder than I thought to get something close to what I want. Cluster One is one I've just thought of, and there are a few solo Gilmour tracks I can think of. But as for Floyd themselves - not as many as you would think.
dalek501 wrote:
I also have a fair few tracks of Doctor Who incidental music.
JazHaz wrote:
Where did you get them from?
There are a fair few commercially available CD's with Doctor Who music on now. I would think Amazon would do them quite cheaply now, or maybe as individual downloads? Although it obviously helps if you actually know what stories the tracks come from as they are easier to find.
JazHaz wrote:
I agree. Are all the tracks you use instrumentals? Perhaps something like Clannad might do equally well?
I don't know too much of their stuff but from what I do know I'm sure there would be something that would be suitable. Yes, its all instrumentals I use as I prefer the atmosphere they create. I've just thought of another I can add... Watermark by Enya. And another by Vangelis... not 100% sure of the title but Im sure I have it. Something with a French title? Plu de la Mere? Something like that.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Pink Floyd... try 'Absolutely Curtains' from 'Obscured by Clouds'.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
dalek501
Deadly
Deadly

Post by dalek501 »

Ahhh... a CD Ive not listened to in a while. I shall give it a try!