Oolite Mac OS X – Trunk nightly builds

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Venator Dha
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Oolite Mac OS X – Trunk nightly builds

Post by Venator Dha »

Thank you, both :D
Taurus Driving through the galaxy since... .
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Following a server update that didn't go THAT smoothly, the latest trunk nightly build is available.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Latest build seems to be from 9 november 2014. However in this topic it is mentioned that there is a newer trunk from 23 is available. Is the link broken?
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

pagroove wrote:
Latest build seems to be from 9 november 2014. However in this topic it is mentioned that there is a newer trunk from 23 is available. Is the link broken?
From what I recall, many of the recent builds have addressed problems with the Windows build.. so most likely, it's just that there's been no need for a new Mac build.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Diziet Sma wrote:
pagroove wrote:
From what I recall, many of the recent builds have addressed problems with the Windows build.. so most likely, it's just that there's been no need for a new Mac build.
Well some off the new features like the new explosions textures Cim mentioned where rolled in later than 9 november 2014. And the message from another_commander on the 22 sept says that the builds are now again synchronized with the other ports. I'm in no hurry but I just wanted to see/try out some of the new features.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

The builds were synchronized back in September, but then most likely a change that isn't compatible on the Mac was inserted in the code. Usually this is a Mac project setup problem and relatively easy to resolve, but we do need someone with a Mac to be keeping an eye on the changes as they happen - and provide fixes, if something breaks, in the same way as it does happen for Linux and Windows.

I would also like to note that, under normal operating conditions, all builds should be synchronized and on the same revision at all times. If one or more builds are out of sync then there is either a code problem on the platform that failed to build or an issue with the build bot or the server itself. It doesn't matter whether a change might be Mac-only, Win-only or Lin-only, anything that causes Head (i.e. latest current code revision on master branch) to change will trigger a new build generation on all platforms. Or at least, it should.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

another_commander wrote:
The builds were synchronized back in September, but then most likely a change that isn't compatible on the Mac was inserted in the code. Usually this is a Mac project setup problem and relatively easy to resolve, but we do need someone with a Mac to be keeping an eye on the changes as they happen - and provide fixes, if something breaks, in the same way as it does happen for Linux and Windows.

I would also like to note that, under normal operating conditions, all builds should be synchronized and on the same revision at all times. If one or more builds are out of sync then there is either a code problem on the platform that failed to build or an issue with the build bot or the server itself. It doesn't matter whether a change might be Mac-only, Win-only or Lin-only, anything that causes Head (i.e. latest current code revision on master branch) to change will trigger a new build generation on all platforms. Or at least, it should.
Ok thanks. That clarifies thins a bit.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

another_commander wrote:
The builds were synchronized back in September, but then most likely a change that isn't compatible on the Mac was inserted in the code.
I just synchronised with trunk and compiled on my mac. It compiles without errors. So at the moment I see no reason why trunk does not compile for the mac.
(Both in debug as in test mode)

If interested in the current status on mac: Oolite-build3938ab0 (from today)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Eric Walch wrote:
I just synchronised with trunk and compiled on my mac. It compiles without errors. So at the moment I see no reason why trunk does not compile for the mac.
(Both in debug as in test mode)
OK, then it must be a server side problem. Will need to investigate.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Terrastorage nightly server is down. I'm currently investigating the case.
In the meantime Mac users can be served at
http://oolite.org/nightly/mac/
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

Due to the increased frequency of "internal compiler error: Segmentation fault" issue, for both Windows and Linux nightly builds, I will proceed in running a comprehensive memory test on the TerraStorage server, to at least exclude the case of physical memory issues.

On that matter a server downtime is planned as follows:
Server Shutdown: 5/Apr/2015 21:00 (UTC)
Server Startup: 7/Apr/2015 21:00(UTC)
(following server shutdown, the next cumulative update, for Windows and Linux nightly build, will be available Wednesday morning)

This means that following server shutdown for Windows and Linux
  • Oolite update (i.e. rsync service) will be unavailable,
  • nightly build releases will freeze at Sunday's nightly build
  • alternative links, for Sunday's nightly build full download only, can be found below:
    • Linux package (32bit x86 distros): Oolite-Linux x86
    • Linux package (64bit x86_64/AMD64 distros): Oolite-Linux x86_64/AMD64
    • Windows (32bit): Oolite-Windows x86
    • Windows (64bit): Oolite-Windows x64
Mac nightly releases will continue to be updated (being built outside of TerraStorage) and will be available at:
http://oolite.org/nightly/mac/

Thank you for your patience.

EDIT 2015-04-05: Updated with alternative links for Windows and Linux Sunday's nightly.

EDIT 2015-04-08: Unfortunately the memory test showed that all memory banks were faulty. I managed to find some spares, but the memory test showed that one bit, one single annoying bit in a pool of billions, is faulty (if life is a simulation, someone is really having fun with me). Anyhow, for the time being, I am running the server with this known defect.

EDIT 2015-04-09: Windows and Linux alternative links have been disabled.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

As of today and till the 1.82 comes out, the Mac OS X nightly build will be produced by an alternative environment.
Having a backup Mac OS X development environment, helps Mac OS X Oolite support continuity, as well as it facilitates Oolite releases planning.

This is a virtual machine (budget constraints :( ) handled remotely and the operator ("Yours truly...") is an alien to this new world.
As a consequence, testing is reduced to "Is the &*# #@%(3# thing running? (Yes/No) ".

If you have been using the Oolite nightly build, then, please, check it out and share your feedback here.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Getafix wrote:
As of today and till the 1.82 comes out, the Mac OS X nightly build will be produced by an alternative environment.
This is a virtual machine (budget constraints :( ) handled remotely and the operator ("Yours truly...") is an alien to this new world.
As a consequence, testing is reduced to "Is the &*# #@%(3# thing running? (Yes/No) ".
I'm seriously impressed! I've never succeeded in getting OSX to run in a VM, and would love to know how you accomplished it.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

I didn't. A friend of mine did, on his Mac.