Idea-Commander's log

Writings and chronicles of the OOniverse.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Idea-Commander's log

Post by Sarin »

Indeed, I'm still using drivers preinstalled on this laptop, that are identical to drivers available for download from Acer homepage for my laptop.

Edit: aaand before someone mentions it. Back when the buggy ATI drivers were a big issue, there was a link for a page to driver modder that could remove it...I've visited it already, and unless I missed it, my card is not among the supported ones.
Last edited by Sarin on Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Sorry, I can't offer any advice, apart from contact Acer.
Desktop ATI I know about (they're up to version 11.2), but not laptops.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Sarin wrote:
ATI Mobility Radeon 5470, in Acer 5740G laptop, Win7/64.
I have a 1400, Dell, XP32.

For a full rundown on my shader strangeness, take a peek at this thread.

Basically you've got the same 3 problems: ATI, laptop, Window$.
But with my experience as an example, you might just get lucky with a typical M$ fix. You know, car breaks down, so you close all the windows, turn it off, wait 30 second then try again.
First things first: Have you upgraded to 1.75? Since my Dell/ATI drivers suddenly decided to give me shaders when going from 1.73 to 1.74, it's worth a check. If that doesn't fly, give the Omega drivers a go. They worked for me on 1.73 (but not 1.74!).
Somewhere in the back of my mind the word "Catalyst" is floating around, but I cannot recall if that's just a fancy name for the Dell/ATI drivers, or if it's something unofficial like the Omega. Google is your friend; I remember reading heaps of old posts on message boards from other peeps with the same issue I had.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

I am running 1.75 latest test release...

I'm gonna give Omega drivers a shot tomorrow. I hope it will work....thanks. Haven't heard about those before.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Sarin wrote:
Well, BUMP :D

I'm getting back to Oolite, so I will resume this soon...I will start new save probably, many new OXPs have emerged while I was gone, and Ooniverse ain't the same now...

But I got a little question. I still haven't got working shaders and it's bugging me quite a bit now. Problem is in drivers-it's been over a year and there still are no new drivers for my video card, and the only ones available are from those troublesome series... I tried looking for some unofficial drivers, no luck so far. Anyone got a clue how to solve it? My video card is ATI Mobility Radeon 5470, in Acer 5740G laptop, Win7/64.
This is a long shot, but try to find other laptop-brands that use the same graphics chip, and see if they will install. I have done this on Dell laptops using Toshiba drivers, but it did require some tweaking. (Remember to make a backup first)
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Wow, the logs are wonderful! I can't wait to see them continued!
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

It will be a restart rather than continuing...anyway, I'd aprecciate any constructive criticism. I found the strict "log" format kinda restricting, and I believe it showed a few times...so next time, it will be more along the lines of story based on one Ooliter's game...