The trading game

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Sarin wrote:
For the limit..well, I believe that main reason for this is ability to carry almost unlimited amount of gold, platinum and gems. You could make huge profit carrying those around and waiting for best price and best profit.
That's what I think, too. It's a countermeasure against hoarding and speculation. The Co-operative, unlike some societies I could mention, isn't daft enough to let its economy run wild with nobody at the controls ... ;)
lfnfan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lfnfan »

Disembodied wrote:
The Co-operative, unlike some societies I could mention, isn't daft enough to let its economy run wild with nobody at the controls ... ;)
Another dig like that and I'll give you a good slapping![/gordo]

:wink: Apologies if I step too heavily on anybody's political sensitivities.

I use the station trading F8 to generate some cash early on to kit out my ship. Then I use F8 F8 to build my carrier rep. After having done a load of contracts across several galaxies, I find that I have more money than I know what to do with. A couple of choices now present themselves:

Find a ludicrously expensive OXP ship to buy and soak up all those credits or
Stick with the Cobbie (or other core ship) and focus on achieving Elite combateer rating, using the stockpile of cash to cover ship refurbs, missiles, fuel, dirtside recreation etc.

You know how in Star Trek TNG they no longer have use for money and are free to just go about seeking out 'new life and new civilisations' and generally improving themselves, well the parallel with the 'more money than I know what to do with' Elite / Oolite scenario is that you are free to boldly go about seeking out 'new victims and new combat ratings'.
wades
Above Average
Above Average

Post by wades »

Sarin wrote:
As for those little numbers...what you buy/sell on open market are actually just leftovers. Most of cargo is moved via cargo contracts you can get. That is also reason why you can't really affect the economy, even when you shuffle full PCC from Xexedi to Laenin and back.

For the limit..well, I believe that main reason for this is ability to carry almost unlimited amount of gold, platinum and gems. You could make huge profit carrying those around and waiting for best price and best profit.
Huh, I always figured it had to do with signed 8-bit arithmetic.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

lfnfan wrote:
After having done a load of contracts across several galaxies, I find that I have more money than I know what to do with.
The Galactic Navy OXP provides a good (albeit temporary) drain for your excess wealth in the form of Victory Bonds. You even get a tangible benefit for buying them in the long run, too.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

lfnfan wrote:
I find that I have more money than I know what to do with.
Same problem here. I've already got my 'Dream Ship' and am making money without even trying. So I've gone the 'Improve my Rating' route and am actively seeking out all the Anarchies and Feudal worlds I can, and any Offender or Fugitive that comes my way is space-dust. Also, it's suprising how many High-Tech worlds are riddled with pirates. I guess the spoils are there to be had. And I must say it's GOOD FUN!
Having said that it would be good if you could buy some ridiculously expensive 'toys' to enjoy with any surplus cash. One thing I'd like is a 'Sports Car' in the hold to enjoy on my days off. Something like a civilian version of the Viper, just small enough so it fits in the hold without taking up all the room.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Disembodied wrote:
The Galactic Navy OXP provides a good (albeit temporary) drain for your excess wealth in the form of Victory Bonds. You even get a tangible benefit for buying them in the long run, too.
When I first installed GalNavy I bought a whole load of VBs. In the meantime I have used a galactic hyperspace. Now when I visit a Secom station it seems that I've lost them. Is this a bug?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

JazHaz wrote:
When I first installed GalNavy I bought a whole load of VBs. In the meantime I have used a galactic hyperspace. Now when I visit a Secom station it seems that I've lost them. Is this a bug?
It certainly seems odd. I made a galactic jump just recently and when I visit a SecCom they're all still bowing and grinning obsequiously (and refuelling me for free and offering me cut-price equipment and servicing). You should check your save file and see what it says there.
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Want some fun? Try playing an Ironman game, but alter it so you start with an Adder. Oh, and you have to have Deep Space Pirates loaded too. Makes for a HELLUVA rough start. Escape Pod is worth more to you than that Beam Laser, I promise. And fuel scoops? (ROFL) I'll take Fuel Injectors thanks. Docking computer - Nope, better go for that extra energy unit so you can actually fire a laser AND hit the ECM within the same 5 minute period...

How do I know? You're looking at the proud captain of "The Briar Rabbit".
5 Kills, and proud of every damned one. Let those hot shot Jamesons drink in the zero G bars, running around in their new Cobra Mk III's... They'll be flotsam bouncing off your hull in a month. Me- I say you meet trouble, you RUN! Taking 17 tc of furs into an unstable multi-goverment rich industrial in this girl, and you'll know what white-knuckle flying is....
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I see 6 kills on that status screen.. congrats on getting another one! With all that injectored running you're doing, I'd be tempted to put a fuel tank on that solitary missile pylon.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

And I see a hacked shipyard.plist - so it isn't 100 % ironman to me. :twisted:
(Large Cargo Bay ?)
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Disembodied wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
It certainly seems odd. I made a galactic jump just recently and when I visit a SecCom they're all still bowing and grinning obsequiously (and refuelling me for free and offering me cut-price equipment and servicing). You should check your save file and see what it says there.
Not really sure what I'm looking for in there, but I guess the following are the correct bits.

Code: Select all

<key>mission_reserve_counter</key>
	<string>0</string>
	<key>mission_reserve_offer</key>
	<string>OFFER_OPEN</string>
	<key>mission_reserve_status</key>
	<string>STATUS_ENLISTED</string>
	<key>mission_reserve_targets</key>
	<string>0</string>
Those two counters at zero are possibilities.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

snork wrote:
And I see a hacked shipyard.plist - so it isn't 100 % ironman to me. :twisted:
(Large Cargo Bay ?)
I'm actually flying a Griff Adder, and I think he has it in there. Still, bloody proud of that commander right now. It's not easy getting up to any decent gear with that starting scenario.
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

And I think you should be.

What I am most scared away by is the 1 energy bank only, and on extra slow recharge.
I don't think I'd be able to survive in-fights in an Adder.
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

There's a reason I named the ship "The Briar Rabbit". I tend to run more than fight by a significant margin. And while the extra energy unit helps, if you're under 50% energy, recharge is SLOW. Recharge from 0 energy is OMG-SLOW. Had to do that one last night. It was rough as my opponent was still alive. I had to lock in on his 6 and NOT let go. :P
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Sound indeed challening. Maybe Oolite could have some different starting scenario's reflecting different playing styles. (maybe even starting at another planet with a Lave Acedemey). One of them is your Adder Ironman scenario.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709