The trading game

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

CheeseRedux wrote:
Particularly when you consider that bar bs gur fgberf nssrpgrq vf va gur qvfb flfgrz.
What?! :wink:

Can you give us the link for the translator please?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

JazHaz wrote:
Can you give us the link for the translator please?
Sure: http://www.rot13.com/
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Corny wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
Agree with what Wades said. Doubt that much change should be made though.
I'd like to have an OXP that does that, though :) I agree that in the core game, it should be the same (true to the original and so on). Is it even possible to change the economy types that way via OXP?
I don't think it is necessary to change economy types, and adding new ones is of course out of the question. What it boils down to is to find really clever values for commodities.plist. And I mean, really clever. They would need to defy the linear increase/decrease from Poor Agr to Rich Ind. But that's really all they would need. Too lazy now to find out if it would work.
wades
Above Average
Above Average

Post by wades »

I do have YAH installed, and it does make for somewhat more interesting trading, but I don't have a good enough feel yet for where the constores are to make plans with those in mind.

Somebody mentioned "BlOomberg Markets." Link please?
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

wades wrote:
Somebody mentioned "BlOomberg Markets." Link please?
It's here: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=7476
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

The Almanac lists the best trading opportunities between nearby planets. That's worth checking out.
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/The_Traders_Almanach

a sample : "When cash matters more than cargo capacity, I give you this advice: Best would be to buy bargain TV dinners or casks of 'Noer' - a liquor they distill only in Qube - and haul them to Raleen. They give you about 100 to 110%, at least in Raleen. Additionally, those TV dinners can also be sold well enough in Edzaon. Moreover, piracy has been reported to be on the rise in Edzaon. "
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

wades wrote:
I do have YAH installed, and it does make for somewhat more interesting trading, but I don't have a good enough feel yet for where the constores are to make plans with those in mind.
Constores follow population – you should find them in any non-Anarchy system with more than 4 billion inhabitants.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

"That is with a Python or larger, I assume ?
With the 35t Cobra3, you have to leave so-and-ao much free, when traveling to dubious systems, for scooping. "

no, Cobra. a beginner (arguably) shouldn't be risking going into dubious systems because their ship shouldn't be good enough (imo) to make the risk worth it. i got by w/ good trading in safer systems and scoops were a later addition. it's annoying seeing cannisters when you have no scoops but it's better to fork out for docking puters first or spend that money each run buying a few more tons of proit-making cargo.
bigmike20vt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by bigmike20vt »

i have found since installing the oxp which adds the dredgers (sorry not sure which one) that there is no point trading anything now.

not that i mind, trading furs and computers is what got me enough wedge to get my 1st beam laser and scoop.

but when there is a good chance of meeting a dredger where alloys are 0.4 credits and, once you get a decent boat there are so many profitble missions without trading (my 1st galactic navy mission netted me a fortune) i have no need to trade really.

bounty hunting with scooping combined with alloys from dredgers, missions and ship salvaging is imo they way to make the big money.
Fiat Coupe, helping motorists break the speed limit since 1993.
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

In Oolite v1.74 I undestand we will have access to the ship's manifest via javascript, so it will be possible to engineer situations based on what the player's carrying at the time. An example would be to increase the risk of pirate attack if the player is carrying high-value goods through a lawless system.
Download Resistance Commander plus many other exciting OXPs HERE
bigmike20vt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by bigmike20vt »

the thing is, in reality (if we can use such a term for a game set in space)

what nuts galaxy would it be if legally you had to announce to any passing pirate what cargo you had on you.

i cant really think of any device which would be able to scan your hold and know what you had.

i guess radioactives could be detectable via radiation signature but then they are low value goods anyway.

the computer some how "knowing" what cargo you have, seems like cheating to me. esp when you may have scooped it, so you could not even use a blackmarket for selling ships inventories at certain space stations back story.
Fiat Coupe, helping motorists break the speed limit since 1993.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

it could work via some sort of remote controled trumble it makes it's way over to the other ships cargo hold, has a little nibble on all the pods, not too much to spoil the value, just enough to taste what's inside, then it transmits the data back to you using a walkie-talkie or something. :wink:
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Well, the police can scan your cargo hold and find out if you have contraband on board without boarding your ship.

The scenario Ramirez is talking about doesn't seem too outlandish to me: the backstory could be that the pirates in system X heard a captain with a ship looking a lot like yours was seen buying a lot of valuable stuff...

Edit: or what Griff said... :)

In any case, that being a future & hypothetical OXP, it would be up to the individual players to actually download it & use it in their own universe... ;)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Kaks wrote:
Well, the police can scan your cargo hold and find out if you have contraband on board without boarding your ship.
Do they? There are no repercussions against ships carrying illicit goods. Only on leaving the main station, and I don't think that this is because of police ships scanning you.
Commander Trigg
Competent
Competent

Post by Commander Trigg »

I've only been playing Oolite for a few hours so far but I find myself agreeing with the OP. Every trip I make is computers one way, returning with furs/liquor and it's getting very repetitive while I try to build towards a larger ship.

A variation in the trade prices of various goods that led players to make runs to more than two systems in order to make the best profits would add significantly to the gameplay, particularly for the relatively new player where every credit counts.

Incidentally, I've added the YAH OXP and have yet to come across any of the stores, just the rather fetching billboards, so maybe when I find one of those my opinion may change somewhat.