What's the best way to make money fast?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

JazHaz wrote:
ThyroidBugz wrote:
On the Pi-42 con station in Atrebibi I've noticed that they have some severe shortages with very hungry and very naked people. Indeed, food and textiles are trading at the same price as luxuries!
Could that be a bug?
It's bug-ish ... there's an occasional overflow in prices in some convenience stores resulting in huge prices for food and textiles. It's not a regular thing though, and – unless there's some way of predicting it – I don't think it affects the game much. Neither food nor textiles tend to be carried in bulk by players anyway. It could be fixed easily if you like counting in binary. ;) Me, I just blame it on all the speculation and wheeler-dealing that goes on inside Convenience stores. It's just a bubble: the price will crash back down again soon enough and some poor sap will be left holding a stack of Tree Grub futures worth somewhere near a cred per ton, that he paid out over a hundred for ... which is one reason that the slave pens in Con stores sometimes hold a whole bunch of guys in suits.
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

Have you seen the prices of food at your local PI-42 compared to the regular supermarket ?
It's a pretty accurate simulation of real life. :D
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Disembodied wrote:
It's bug-ish ... there's an occasional overflow in prices in some convenience stores resulting in huge prices for food and textiles. It's not a regular thing though, and – unless there's some way of predicting it – I don't think it affects the game much. Neither food nor textiles tend to be carried in bulk by players anyway.
Actually it is pretty game breaking. The con-stores which have theb outrageous Food/Textiles prices (100credits a tonne) are always the same. Doesn't take much effort to fly round a few nearby systems, load up an Anaconda and fly back.

It is not as profitable as cargo missions, but still not a slouch for anyone just starting out.

The trick, of course, is finding the few con-store/PI-42s with this behaviour.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

JazHaz wrote:
Passenger contracts on the other hand, can be done with just about any ship from a Cobra mk1 upwards. I normally run with 3 cabins, but they aren't always full of passengers, but if you take the long haul contracts you can make good profits.
Quoting myself, but thought I would add some more on this.

Just finished a marathon five hour session, transporting three passengers across nearly the full width of Galaxy 3.

With trading on the way (and I have a Python CC with a large cargo bay), I made over 60,000 credits! But of that, the passengers brought in over 45,000 credits, and the trading only brought in 15,000 credits.

So you can see how sometimes passengers can make you more money than trading!! :D
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Sendraks wrote:
Actually it is pretty game breaking. The con-stores which have theb outrageous Food/Textiles prices (100credits a tonne) are always the same. Doesn't take much effort to fly round a few nearby systems, load up an Anaconda and fly back.

It is not as profitable as cargo missions, but still not a slouch for anyone just starting out.

The trick, of course, is finding the few con-store/PI-42s with this behaviour.
Ah, well, then it probably should be fixed. I didn't know it was permanent and I've only seen it once or twice! It would be nice, though, if Con stores did have occasional (and intentional) panic-prices.
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

cargo contracts can be very groovy regardless of ship size -- persist with them 8)
Loxley
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Loxley »

Zbond-Zbond wrote:
cargo contracts can be very groovy regardless of ship size -- persist with them 8)
Agreed, I made about 250,000 in 3 hours last night, not including the bounties on the two Random Hits and the Gal Navy mission I managed to fit into my route plan.

Max your cargo reputation and you'll start to see 50,000 contracts regularly, if you're lucky you may even see the odd 100,000+ deal advertised.
"There is still much music to be written in C major" Stravinsky
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Loxley wrote:
Max your cargo reputation and you'll start to see 50,000 contracts regularly, if you're lucky you may even see the odd 100,000+ deal advertised.
And a lot of these high end contracts are for gems, gold and platinum. Even when the contract is for you to shift thousands of units, you can still fit the shipment into a much smaller craft with a modest payload.

At which point, you can ditch the big hauler and go for something smaller and faster.
RusJameson
Average
Average

Re: What's the best way to make money fast?

Post by RusJameson »

Royal Hunting Lodge OXP offers "duels" in Feudal Systems, which gives opportunity to earn 100 000 in 5 minutes - its so easy that its almost a cheat.
Just find 10:1 odds competition, make a 10 000 stake, win your opponent (its very easy on Mark III + military laser), and get your 100.000 cr. Repeat as many times as you want :D
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

RusJameson wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:24 pm
Royal Hunting Lodge OXP offers "duels" in Feudal Systems, which gives opportunity to earn 100 000 in 5 minutes - its so easy that its almost a cheat.
Just find 10:1 odds competition, make a 10 000 stake, win your opponent (its very easy on Mark III + military laser), and get your 100.000 cr. Repeat as many times as you want :D
I did the same a few years ago for a few games and found the resulting games boring. No middle-game challenge, move immediately to your dream ship and load-out maxed with the most specialty high-end equipment. I stopped installing the Feudal states after that.
Astrobe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Astrobe »

Bogatyr wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:39 am
I did the same a few years ago for a few games and found the resulting games boring. No middle-game challenge, move immediately to your dream ship and load-out maxed with the most specialty high-end equipment. I stopped installing the Feudal states after that.
Do you think it would work if the rewards were more reasonable? I'm thinking that when you're on a ship with little to no trading capability (besides the "small commodities") your main option is to run everyone's errands (i.e. parcel&pax contracts), so turning it into a source of little revenue to grab en passant (perhaps around 100Cr) could make it interesting for Adder-starters (and less immoral for others)?
Bogatyr
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bogatyr »

Astrobe wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:10 pm
Bogatyr wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:39 am
Do you think it would work if the rewards were more reasonable? I'm thinking that when you're on a ship with little to no trading capability (besides the "small commodities") your main option is to run everyone's errands (i.e. parcel&pax contracts), so turning it into a source of little revenue to grab en passant (perhaps around 100Cr) could make it interesting for Adder-starters (and less immoral for others)?
Probably.... that, and the fights more interesting. The pilot AI on the duelers is pretty weak.