Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Oolite Darwin Awards

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Oolite Darwin Awards

Post by ralph_hh »

Huntress wrote:
I look down at my keyboard, and realize I've been pressing the wrong button the whole time.
hehe, nice one :-)
I've started shooting at the station when trying to decelerate. "a" and "s" are just too close.
Imaginos
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Imaginos »

ralph_hh wrote:
I've started shooting at the station when trying to decelerate. "a" and "s" are just too close.
I think that all keyboard Commanders have done that at some point.
Venator Dha
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Venator Dha »

Imaginos wrote:
ralph_hh wrote:
I think that all keyboard Commanders have done that at some point.
I resigned fire to "0" (Zero) so I could use the number pad "0" with my little finger (nice big button :) ) whilst using the arrow keys
Taurus Driving through the galaxy since... .
Huntress
Dangerous
Dangerous
Location: Carman, MB, Canada (can't believe I spelt my town's name wrong...oops!)

Post by Huntress »

I have something to say. It is possible to have to much Oolite. On the weekend I was playing for a couple hours non-stop and decided to take a break to eat. I got my food and started flipping through a farm equipment catalogue to keep myself occupied (yes, I admit it, I read while I eat) and ate my meal. I closed the catalogue to put it away, but not before reading: GalMine Hopper. Whaaaat? I picked up the catalogue and flipped through it and guess what it said? Combine Hopper. Man, I laughed so hard that my family was looking at me like I was crazy. :mrgreen:
"My goal this weekend is to move... just enough so that people don't think I'm dead." -Anonymous
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Huntress wrote:
...and started flipping through a farm equipment catalogue to keep myself occupied...:
...as you do... :P

I also had an amusing mis-read yesterday, although it wasn't Oolite related. I was following a recipe and wondered why it needed carbon neutral yogurt. When I got my specs out it turned out that I needed a carton of natural yogurt. :roll:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Huntress
Dangerous
Dangerous
Location: Carman, MB, Canada (can't believe I spelt my town's name wrong...oops!)

Post by Huntress »

Hey, I just grabbed whatever was handy. If I actually grabbed a book to read I wouldn't move from the spot for a couple a hours, because when I start a book I have to finish it.

:D
"My goal this weekend is to move... just enough so that people don't think I'm dead." -Anonymous
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

I forget who and where on this forum (I am also too lazy to go and find out right now) that posted you know when you have too much Oolite is when you are walking down the street and someone gets in your way (especially if they are of the large variety of human) and the first thing that pops into your mind is 'mass locked' :lol:
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
SteveKing
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SteveKing »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And when you see the local police pull someone up because they didn't slow down quickly enough when passing the speed sign on the way into town... you imagine the officer calling over the comms "You've got a nerve coming here, surrender and dock to pay your fines, criminal!" :D
SteveKing
(not quite the author)
Huntress
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Huntress »

And while you're waiting for someone in front of you to park their car you think "Hurry up and dock". :mrgreen:
ralph_hh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ralph_hh »

I had this strange feelings when I constantly played Diablo II :twisted: for a VERY long time in the end it was years. In D2 you equip your character with items that give a resistance to fire, poison, cold, lightning. When I (real life) was walking outsinde in the rain, I popped open an umbrella and thought ... +50% to water resistance. Scary... :shock:
Paladin Tux
Competent
Competent

Post by Paladin Tux »

When at school (like me) and you are getting chased by some guy who hates you this is waht would happen.

(Guy starts chasing me)
Arrggh! Activate witchspace fuel injection (run)
Look! The AEGIS! (A.K.A the safe are around a teacher)
Or
Hyperspace countdown commenced (15 seconds from the teacher's office)
Now with 100% less Wonderworm!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Tip: don't run - turn around and nut him (aim for the bridge of his nose)! <grins wryly>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
SteveKing
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SteveKing »

Cody wrote:
Tip: don't run - turn around and nut him (aim for the bridge of his nose)! <grins wryly>
a.k.a Flip the Wonder Worm around and accelerate to ramming speed! :wink:

(I expect some of us around here remember when we were young pilots...<daydream> Eventually the pirates give up as they'll realise that the WW is a tough nut to crack and that there's less experienced pilots out there)
SteveKing
(not quite the author)
Paladin Tux
Competent
Competent

Post by Paladin Tux »

The only times I can actually remember dying it the WW is when I played victim 11. All the other times is things like:
3. Crashing into the sun at torus drive speed
2. Shoot an astroid to pieces with mil laser and (don't konw if bug or feature) crashing into bolders.
1. Crashing into Drakes mkII. Don't know what is wrong with them. The always turn too late.
Now with 100% less Wonderworm!
Imaginos
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Imaginos »

Time to confess my sins... Last night while on a parcel run (I think I was only carrying medical data) I was attacked by a group of assassins. I locked ID onto the ring-leader & held down the fuel injector button until I zoomed straight into him/her/it... "PRESS SPACE COMMANDER". :oops: