Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Roolite

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Roolite

Post by ClymAngus »

Sorry to raise an old post but I've recently been using google to translate roolite.org on the fly. I do have to say that this a wonderfully crafted site (I think I've mentioned that before as well). I've also been enjoying the forums immensely. It is also good to see the marvellous Seventh here too.

Comrades, truly you have out done yourselves with you monumental design efforts.
seventh
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by seventh »

ClymAngus wrote:
Sorry to raise an old post but I've recently been using google to translate roolite.org on the fly. I do have to say that this a wonderfully crafted site (I think I've mentioned that before as well). I've also been enjoying the forums immensely. It is also good to see the marvellous Seventh here too.

Comrades, truly you have out done yourselves with you monumental design efforts.
Thank you so much for your words :D
By the way I make websites for free if they have interesting content and if there is possibility to make good design.
This for my little self-promotion in Western Europe :wink:
Last edited by seventh on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Which reminds me - I will update the Russian version of Planetfall to the new 1.41 version I hope by the end of next week.

Real life is somewhat busy at the moment, but it's on my to-do list!
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

seventh wrote:
ClymAngus wrote:

Thank you so much for your words :D
By the way I make websites for free if they have interesting content and if there is possibility to make good design.
This for my little self-promotion in Western Europe :wink:
Yes I do a little "artistic" work in that area myself. I'm in the process of de-framing some of my old sites and trimming down the back end. Old sites new ways of doing things you know how it goes.

One thing I did want to run past you. I'm not sure if the saw but we've finished some more detailed maps of the oolite universe. I can let you have the .ai (illustrator 8) files if you like (should be a cake walk translate the them into Cyrillic). As you wish, the last thing I want to do is make people any more work! :)

The pdf's are ready to go (in English) on the wiki.

V Below V is a bad translation of the text ^ above ^

Да, я немного "художественный" работу в этой области себя. Я нахожусь в процессе де-обрамление некоторые из моих старых сайтов и обрезки вниз задняя часть. Старые сайты новые способы делать вещи вы знаете, как она идет.

Одна вещь, я действительно хотел пробежать мимо вас. Я не уверен, что видел, но мы закончили более подробные карты оолит Вселенной. Я могу позволить тебе есть. AI (Illustrator 8) файлы, если вам нравится (должно быть торт ходьбы перевод их в кириллице). Как хотите, последнее, что я хочу сделать, это заставить людей больше работать! :)

PDF's готовы пойти (на английском) в вики.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

ClymAngus wrote:
One thing I did want to run past you. I'm not sure if the saw but we've finished some more detailed maps of the oolite universe. I can let you have the .ai (illustrator 8) files if you like (should be a cake walk translate the them into Cyrillic). As you wish, the last thing I want to do is make people any more work! :)
On that note, how about plotting some of the milk runs in each galaxy into these maps (Ref Milk Run thread here: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9236), if somebody takes the trouble of identifying them for you.

Edit: Could a mod move this to the milk runs thread. Belongs there, and sorry for the trouble.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Gimi wrote:
On that note, how about plotting some of the milk runs in each galaxy into these maps (Ref Milk Run thread here: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9236), if somebody takes the trouble of identifying them for you.
I don't know. Does everything have to be in the manual? I've always thought that finding out (a) what profitable goods are and (b) from where to where to trade them is part of discovering the game; the game's first objective, if you want (and yes, Elite/Oolite doesn't have objectives; it's just a metaphor).

Ultimately, what's the point in playing a game which is all about discovery, if you don't have to discover anything for yourself, because you get spoon-fed everything in a convenient, artificially flavoured and coloured mash?

Yes, we could write every last little spoiler right on Oolite's splash screen, and a gazillion people would download an OXP doing exactly that, but again, what's the point?
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Commander McLane wrote:
Gimi wrote:
I don't know. Does everything have to be in the manual? I've always thought that finding out (a) what profitable goods are and (b) from where to where to trade them is part of discovering the game; the game's first objective, if you want (and yes, Elite/Oolite doesn't have objectives; it's just a metaphor).

Ultimately, what's the point in playing a game which is all about discovery, if you don't have to discover anything for yourself, because you get spoon-fed everything in a convenient, artificially flavoured and coloured mash?

Yes, we could write every last little spoiler right on Oolite's splash screen, and a gazillion people would download an OXP doing exactly that, but again, what's the point?
Good point, but it is all over the bb, so it's no secret. (Not a really good argument, I know.)
The reason I suggested it, is that as I play and upgrade, every now and then I suddenly need Credits. When I do, it's sort of a hassle to look through the entire galaxy to find the right constellation. Galaxy one I pretty much know by heart, the others, not so. A pen to a printed galaxy map would do the trick I suppose.

Oh, OK, you won me over. Bad idea, not my first and probably not my last. :)
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Gimi wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Gimi wrote:

Good point, but it is all over the bb, so it's no secret. (Not a really good argument, I know.)
The reason I suggested it, is that as I play and upgrade, every now and then I suddenly need Credits. When I do, it's sort of a hassle to look through the entire galaxy to find the right constellation. Galaxy one I pretty much know by heart, the others, not so. A pen to a printed galaxy map would do the trick I suppose.

Oh, OK, you won me over. Bad idea, not my first and probably not my last. :)
In defence of the maps a fair number of easy runs are incorporated into the routes. The planet information was specifically made easy to read so that profitable routes could be quickly identified "on the fly". On the other hand milk runs are a valid part of the oolite world I would suggest talking to Treczoks about including them in the new galaxy guide sector index. http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Sector1/Index

Or maybe pick Treczoks brains about how it might be done and add it yourself. I'm giving up a chunk of time writing region descriptions for him. We all have something to offer. :D
seventh
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by seventh »

Thargoid wrote:
Which reminds me - I will update the Russian version of Planetfall to the new 1.41 version I hope by the end of next week.

Yep
seventh
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by seventh »

ClymAngus wrote:
[

The pdf's are ready to go (in English) on the wiki.
I would be glad to have .ai files :)
seventh
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by seventh »