Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Roolite

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

i think that's a lisp, not a Russian accent.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Did you know that Wussians inwented Lisp? John McCawthy was a spy. Twue fact.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

CptnEcho wrote:
Side note: Now I've got Pavel Checkov's wussian accent wunning awownd in my wessel.
Sounds more like Jonathan Ross... ;-)

Ironically I studied Russian at school but still understand very little of that web site. Oh, I can read it and work out how to say the words, but the meanings escape me. I know that one of the words in the Capisastra article means "good" so I'll take that to mean that it's a good OXP. As opposed to "good lord what was he thinking???". ;-)
seventh
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Roolite

Post by seventh »

Selezen wrote:
I had a look at this site
So, once I leave the forum to happy-new-year-vodka-drinking you create a zoo with kangaroos and the russian roulette. :D

Selezen, I suspected that your nickname a little Russian:)
Man, I'm sorry. You a perfect OXP designer, but I'm a little criticized this your OXP.
No doubt, it's fun, but I'm an adherent of more realistic and traditional kind of ships. But as you say, this is the old OXP, I've decided not to carp
So, because you are the author of the pack, maybe you can write some words for roolite.org about it? ;)

Roolite - it's Russian Oolite :)
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

hmm....while talking of things Russian, i'm thinking the Berkut might make a fine template for new ship....
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

seventh wrote:
Man, I'm sorry. You a perfect OXP designer, but I'm a little criticized this your OXP.
Perfect? I don't think so. Griff, Simon B, ClymAngus, hundreds of others out there are better than me. I'm more of an ideas man... ;-)
seventh wrote:
No doubt, it's fun, but I'm an adherent of more realistic and traditional kind of ships. But as you say, this is the old OXP, I've decided not to carp
So, because you are the author of the pack, maybe you can write some words for roolite.org about it?
Capisastra was designed as a firmly tongue in cheek OXP. Not for serious consumption by any stretch of the imagination. Space Invaders in Oolite! :-)

Background: It was inspired by the Terry Pratchett novel "Only You Can Save Mankind" (that's Только ты можешь спасти человечество to you). There's a scene in it that describes the derelict hulks of the old Space Invaders still being scattered around "game space", and it made me want to see if I could bring the pixellated glory of the 80s to a remake of another 80s game, that's all.

Can you make something for Roolite's description with that? If not, PM me and I'll send you a "blurb".

Thanks for replying! Dosvidanye!
seventh
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by seventh »

Selezen wrote:
OK, It's clear now. Thank you. :)
I even couldn't assume, that someone in the West Europe learns Russian and not going to be the a spy :D
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

Killer Wolf wrote:
Berkut
yes please :D
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

seventh wrote:
Selezen wrote:
I even couldn't assume, that someone in the West Europe learns Russian and not going to be the a spy :D
:shock:

I'm an outmoded relic of the cold war, sorry. I learned Russian to listen into radio broadcasts on number stations. ;-)

(Seriously, I just like the look of the Russian alphabet. Cyrillic makes me all wibbly. And the MiG-29 is awesome).

I used to work with someone who was fluent in Russian, and learned that she actually DID work for the military listening into Russian broadcasts!
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

Selezen wrote:
seventh wrote:
Selezen wrote:
:shock:

I'm an outmoded relic of the cold war, sorry. I learned Russian to listen into radio broadcasts on number stations. ;-)

(Seriously, I just like the look of the Russian alphabet. Cyrillic makes me all wibbly. And the MiG-29 is awesome).

I used to work with someone who was fluent in Russian, and learned that she actually DID work for the military listening into Russian broadcasts!
JeffBTX < - - - Did That ( 1974 to 1996 ), I was stationed in various places all over the world.

Here is a picture of one; see the top / right pic, Augsburg (I was there ~ 1976 to about 1979). Look at the picture carefully. See the parking lot, the size of the cars? See the size of the antenna? Hehehe. Some games have "BFGs"... this is a "BFA".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN/FLR-9

Here is another ... Ramasun Station Thailand... my first assignment after being trained. I got there in ~ 1975, but was only there a few months before the site closed (at that point I was sent to Clark AFB, Philippines; temporarily... then went to Augsburg). This Flickr page has a lot of pictures including the FLR-9 antenna... you can get a sense of scale.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/boondocks/ ... 301330816/

I wasn't a Russian Linguist, though (I worked with them); morse code intercept, radio direction finding, and a specialized form of signals analysis.

Edit: Your friend must have worked in British Intell, or worked *for* GCHQ. I worked with / made friends with some of those guys in Cheltenham... also a British site in the Netherlands, but I forget the name. We worked together over a network (teletypes... later to be replaced by computer terminals); but eventually met in real life to party. Over the network on the midnight shifts when things were slow we used to do "Monty Python Re-Enactments". You had to have been there to understand.
:)
Sword, thy name is Cobra. And Cobra has fangs!
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

She never really said who she worked for, but I know she was trained in the RAF.

You'd love the Secret bases website. Loads of pictures of facilities, including many former FLR sites!

I actually found it quite depressing - the cold war era had a kind of "romanticism" about it. Only in hindsight though. I don't miss the ever-present threat of my face melting in a nuclear blast...
Lucidor
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Lucidor »

Perhaps it's time to start worrying again.. Yesterday I read about an underground tunnel network the chinese are building and filling with nukes. 5000 kilometers.

It was on the editorial page of a swedish newspaper, so I don't know how trustworthy that information is.
seventh
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by seventh »

Lucidor wrote:
Perhaps it's time to start worrying again.. Yesterday I read about an underground tunnel network the chinese are building and filling with nukes. 5000 kilometers.

It was on the editorial page of a swedish newspaper, so I don't know how trustworthy that information is.

Bad China :lol:
Mikhail Bulgakov wrote in his Dog's Heart "Reading of bolshevik's newspapers is harmful for health" I think it concerns all newspapers
Don't worry, Space Invaders will attack you before. Chinese practice more advanced methods.
Last edited by seventh on Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

seventh wrote:
Mikhail Bulgakov wrote in his Dog's Hearth "Reading of bolshevik's newspapers is harmful for health" I think it concerns all newspapers
I completely agree. Reading British newspapers is DEFINITELY bad for your health. And your sanity.
seventh wrote:
Don't worry, Space Invaders will attack you before. Chinese practice more advanced methods.
Yeah, they're killing everyone with monosodium glutamate!
JeffBTX
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JeffBTX »

(my last post on this kind of thing... getting a little off-topic)

The pictures earlier were of an antenna system, military designation AN/FLR-9... a Wullenweber array, good at both RDF and intercept. It is SO HUGE... you can find it at some of those earthsat/web sites, like "google earth" and so forth... here is one:

On http://maps.google.com enter:
stettenhofen, germany
into the search bar (you can paste from this post).

Invoke a Satellite view (from the bar at the upper right: "More... Map Satellite Terrain").

Move south a bit...

South by southwest, you will see the AN/FLR-9 antenna, label: "Flugplatz Gersthofen-Gablingen". You can zoom in now; compare the size to other objects. This is the same station, Augsburg, that was depicted at the WikiPedia page.

Our nickname for the thing (a very common nickname) was "The Elephant Cage".

Here is another site I worked at in Berlin, Germany... mid 1980's - closed and run down now, falling apart. It had some nicknames too, but I shouldn't post them. (Kinda obscene, you'll see why)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teufelsberg
http://allesistgut.fivios.net/wp-conten ... lsberg.jpg
http://www.technemag.com/?p=658=1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pjern/tags/teufelsberg/

... by the way, this was a case of life overlapping work overlapping life. When I was a teen, I was heavily into electronics. I built what used to be called Shortwave Receivers. I was an avid SWL'er (shortwave listener)... taught myself morse code... listened to those "numbers stations" that were mentioned earlier and always wondered about them. Also stations that used recorded or synthesized voices, reading strings of numbers. In SWL magazines and newletters they were called "Spy and Numbers Stations".

When I joined the army, due to test scores and probably the fact that I was already well versed in morse code and communications tech, I was shuttled into SIGINT (Signals Intelligence).

And then LATER, I got my first amateur radio ("Ham Radio") license. I've had 3 american callsigns, and one german callsign.
Sword, thy name is Cobra. And Cobra has fangs!