Crew Soundset

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Kaks wrote:
1. There's a thread somewhere about how to get 'random' sounds. Found it:

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=73673#73673

just add as many .ogg sound files inside the round brackets, and Oolite will select one at random whenever it's needed.
Can't get it to work.
The .plist is build up like

Code: Select all

<key>[hyperspace-countdown-begun]</key>
	<string>Jump1.ogg</string>
and works.

If I enter

<string>("Jump1.ogg","Jump2.ogg");</string>
I just get no sound at all (also not working without brackets, without quotation marks, without semicolon or a combination of that).
How exactly should I enter the file titles between the string-tags?
The Oolite version is 1.73.4. I assumed that it was implemented in 1.73?

Edit: nevermind... I looked it up in a .plist inside Oolite. So I have to assign

<array>
		<string>Jump2.ogg</string>
	</array>
Sorry, I was a bit confused by your way of writing the code.
Last edited by Corny on Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Sorry too, I forgot to mention that we're trying not to use XML, in favour of the easier to write openStep notation. The second XML snippet is the correct 'translation' of what I wrote, since XML doesn't understand parens, or equal signs, or semicolons.

As an aside, if you have a look at all the .plists inside Resources, the majority have already been converted in 1.73.4. While Oolite will still read xml plists to keep compatibility with older OXPs, in 1.74 there won't be a trace of xml inside the native plists anymore... :P
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Corny wrote:
Can't get it to work.
The .plist is build up like

and works.
you might take a look inside the oxp: Combined Murg, Wiggy & Xaotik's sounds that is on the wiki. It uses just this feature introduced in 1.73 to combine sounds and select one at random.
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Kaks wrote:
Sorry too, I forgot to mention that we're trying not to use XML, in favour of the easier to write openStep notation. The second XML snippet is the correct 'translation' of what I wrote, since XML doesn't understand parens, or equal signs, or semicolons.

As an aside, if you have a look at all the .plists inside Resources, the majority have already been converted in 1.73.4. While Oolite will still read xml plists to keep compatibility with older OXPs, in 1.74 there won't be a trace of xml inside the native plists anymore... :P
Aha, I see! So it was just coincidence that I found a XML-file. Maybe I change it to openStep, but I guess having sound files finished is the prime priority. Still trying around with the echo to make it sound like a bridge instead of people talking to you via headset :?
By the way, I use the Property List Editor of Mac OS (when I had the problem, I tried it with a text editor... silly me :D) which reads the openStep-.plists as good as the XML ones. I just noticed that I can change the format with save as... instead of writing it from XML to openStep manually :) The right file format would be "Text Property List", yes?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

JazHaz wrote:
Does anyone have a broad Scots accent? It would be cool, because we should have a Scottish engineer!! :D
Jings, crivvens an' help ma boab!

The 6 O'Clock News
'Unrelated Incidents' - No.3

this is thi
six a clock
news thi
man said n
thi reason
a talk wia
BBC accent
iz coz yi
widny wahnt
mi ti talk
aboot thi
trooth wia
voice lik
wanna yoo
scruff. if
a toktaboot
thi trooth
lik wanna yoo
scruff yi
widny thingk
it wuz troo.
jist wanna yoo
scruff tokn.
thirza right
way ti spell
ana right way
to tok it. this
is me tokn yir
right way a
spellin. this
is ma trooth.
yooz doant no
thi trooth
yirsellz cawz
yi canny talk
right. this is
the six a clock
nyooz. belt up.

— Tom Leonard
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Kaks wrote:
However, if you just want to replace the afterburner sound, put a new afterburner1.ogg inside the Sounds directory.
Yes, but more importantly, no. :-)

The afterburner sound is special, and if you want to replace it you should follow this pattern:
  • The sound must be exactly two seconds long.
  • The first 0.75 seconds must fade in.
  • The last 0.75 seconds must fade out.
  • The fades must be symmetrical, so that playing the sound every 1.25 seconds adds up to a constant sound level.
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Mh, would be cool to have a more... kickass afterburner-sound, but this one is about voices, so I'll come back to topic:
First: Two packs are recorded and will soon be ready to download. Yay!
Second: Just a little idea that struck me. As far as I know, we can't assign sounds for communication right now. But we can assign sounds for events! So instead of having the crew saying "red alert", we could have the enemy saying "die, scum!". Or instead of "autopilot engaged." we could have a station greeter saying "welcome to the station, commander!".
Of course, I'd have to make separate packs with different config files in case one wants just the crew, the other wants radio messages, too. But that shouldn't be too much work.
More importantly, that opens up possibilites for ones who want to contribute, but not so much as it is necessary for a soundpack. They could just speak one line (or more) for the station greeter or a enemy ship, so we'd have real diversity in enemies and station greeters.

Edit: Is there a trigger for "Fuel Leak"?
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Okay, the first four soundpacks are ready.
I had to remove some sounds, though :( (no specific sound for Enemy ECM anymore and no new scoop sounds)
Download it here.
Thanks, Captain Berf!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Corny wrote:
Download it here.
Afraid that link is not working for me. I just end up on the Mediafire website with no files!

Do you have a free or pro account there? If its the free account, I am not sure you are allowed to use direct linking....?
mediafire.com wrote:
* Upgrade to MediaPro to get ad-free browsing and downloads, direct/hot links to files, file sizes up to 2GB per file, and more.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

JazHaz wrote:
Corny wrote:
Download it here.
Afraid that link is not working for me. I just end up on the Mediafire website with no files!
:D Timing. I just had to change something in the Readme and thought "ah well, noone will try to download it in these few minutes anyway..."
It's all there, just try again now :)
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

:lol: Got them!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Not bad at all, Corny.. A couple more voice-actors would be nice though.. and at least one of them female.. see the Hal's Hot Sister soundpack, for instance.. while good, yours don't motivate me to replace her.. (yet) 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Not bad at all, Corny..
Tell that Captain Berf, I just arranged the files :D
Diziet Sma wrote:
A couple more voice-actors would be nice though.. and at least one of them female.. see the Hal's Hot Sister soundpack, for instance.. while good, yours don't motivate me to replace her.. (yet) 8)
I used the Hal's Hot Sister-OXP before :)
I got two female speakers, but I don't know until when they are finished with recording and I also don't know if both or just one will make english sounds.
Guess you'd have to wait ;) Maybe I'll get my soundpack ready until then.
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Noticed that one of the sounds for a witchspace jump in "Captain Berf Pilot" is doubled. I'll fix that soon, sorry for the potential inconvenience.
Edit: Fixed.
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

In the custsounds.oxp, there are voice files for "item bought" and "item sold". However, if you buy seperate units with the arrow-keys, the sounds overlay each other, which doesn't sound that good.
What do you think, should I still include voice files for these events?
I'm working a bit on my soundpack now, btw, I'm looking for more background sounds to add to the voice. I guess I'll borrow some tricks from the custsounds.oxp, like the implementation of station background sounds.