Can anybody make this docking bay work?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Killer Wolf wrote:
what exactly is the "doesn't work" aspect? is it placing the dock correctly but just not allowing you to dock, or what?
have you tried viewing w/ bounding boxes, the dock (if it's identifying one) will appear as red (ta to Commander McLane for that tip!)
I crash on docking. When pressing shift+L I get permission to dock but flying into the dock I crash.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Is the docking bay at the bow or at the stern of the ship? The picture doesn't show into which direction it flies.

If it is at the stern, have you made sure that your docking bay model has its exit at the back side (-z)? If not, it would be mounted the wrong way around, and you would crash into its back wall on docking.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

can you upload the thing so we can have a practical look at it? i'm fairly familiar w/ dock probs after my Nuit expolits but looking at your code in the post is not doing it for me, probably cos it's just in isolation w/out seeing the thing in action.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

I just got a copy, and has replied with a solution to above problem...

Cheers Frame
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

i hope it works better than mine. i've just made myself look a prize tw@ w/ this project. i changed a few things around and got docking no bother, i've even got the screenshot to prove it. i mailed it back, and pagroove said it was still crashing. i tried it yesterday, was on for two hours and for some reason as soon as i got to the dock entrance i crashed :-/
i have no clue as to why it started working and then stopped.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Hi Commanders Killer Wolf and Frame.

I replied to you both via pm. Yesterday I was not near the computer.
I mailed Griff about the model as Griff did the docking bay and probably (hopefully) has a copy with the dock on his computer. :D
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Bump! :shock:

As I want this ship!! 8) :lol:
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I had a look at getting this to work last evening, but i'm still having no joy unless i shift the docking bay model 20-30 units away from the back of the ship model (for instance, say the docking bay cutout on the hull of the ship is at z -630.0, i can't dock unless i put the bay's position at z -640.0).
i've tried editing the ship model to make sure the docking bay is at the very back of the ship model (no over hanging fins or whatever) but without success.

One thing has occured to me but i've not tried yet is that the dockingbay model on this ship has its hole facing backwards eg on the opposite side to how station bays are made for example - is this wrong?, should i model the docking bay exactly like the station ones then spin it 180 on Y using a quaternion so it faces backwards?
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Griff, I would! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

that's exactly what i had to do Griff - except i DID manage it once and i have the screen shot to prove it. as soon as i mailed it back to Pagroove it stopped working :-(
i was assured by my firewall supplier that i was now fully protected against further attacks by the notorious makekillerlooklikeatwat.exe, but apparently not >:-|

re your quats, if you see my post about docking bays in the "things i wish i'd known" thread, you'll see that the only way i coulda get a doxk to work is by building it as per "dock-flat" at the origin and manipulating it's position. the sharkie's redbox is in the right place, but being an outline i can't tell which way the entrance is.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Mmmmmmmm
This seems far more difficult than expected isn't ? :shock:
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Griff wrote:
I had a look at getting this to work last evening, but i'm still having no joy unless i shift the docking bay model 20-30 units away from the back of the ship model (for instance, say the docking bay cutout on the hull of the ship is at z -630.0, i can't dock unless i put the bay's position at z -640.0).
i've tried editing the ship model to make sure the docking bay is at the very back of the ship model (no over hanging fins or whatever) but without success.

One thing has occured to me but i've not tried yet is that the dockingbay model on this ship has its hole facing backwards eg on the opposite side to how station bays are made for example - is this wrong?, should i model the docking bay exactly like the station ones then spin it 180 on Y using a quaternion so it faces backwards?
I think for starters you should look in debug mode, because I could clearly see collision boxes, blocking the docking bay. (that was the first version)

These may still be there, yet the visual part could be invisible.. I'm not at the machine, which I tested this, so I'm without visual images that confirms this...

You can also as someone stated move the docking bay around via the debug console with

Code: Select all

ship.subEntiteis[x].position  = [x,y,z]
where x is the subentity in the list, there there is only 1 entity that would be 0(zero)

like this

Code: Select all

ship.subEntities[0].position = ...
And yes I think you have to rotate the docking bay in order to tell Ooltie which way it is facing..

One sure way is to launch again, and see if you are launching towards the front of the ship, instead of the rear, which i presume you would, and i am telling you this with my many hours of experience with the jumpgates...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

thanks for the help everyone, i did the thing with the quaternion to spin the dock 180 degrees on Y and it's working! :D