Short Story : Herald's End.

Writings and chronicles of the OOniverse.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Enjoying! 8)

I'm not bothered by the technicalities. I think 'active' shields are fine as if you switch them off they cease to be effective, as opposed to hull armour (passive in my book) which just 'is'.

Interesting character development - looking forward to seeing what you do with them, especially Ulene - I like the weird silent types...

Only comment so far is you've spent a lot of time developing the character of someone who is already dead (Captain Frank). You may have a reason for this (apart from the obvious - stressing that the crew is a bit dysfunctional), but personally I'd rather be finding out about the current characters more.

Good stuff though.

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Post by OneoftheLost »

Not really an update, just did a quick cover in Paint.

Thanks Drew, I feel the same way when I read, but then, what keeps you reading? If I told you everything right off the bat, where's the surprise?

:wink:

As for the Ol' Cap, he's still a major charecter, even dead. You'll start to understand as the story progresses. (Or at least I hope I can convey that in my writing.)

Again, thanks for reading! Working on the next part, and hope to have it up in a few hours or more.
Rebecca
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rebecca »

fun so far!!! keep going!

B
Becca the Hermit Slayer, and part-time unpredictable avatar assassin.
OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Post by OneoftheLost »

:)

Thanks for the read! Hope it was enjoyable.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Really good flow. Nice story and good atmosphere
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Captain Tylor
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Captain Tylor »

Enjoying the read. :D
Great to have some more fiction.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Good part III - interesting dialogue - tight - believeable.

Can I suggest you post here - on the thread - indicating a new part has been appended to the first post otherwise you're relying on us wandering past to the thread start just to check if the story has grown.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

This has some good pacing, it's in no hurry to get anywere (a skill I am still to master). As a result there is a lot of time to drink in the atmosphere. Excellent work.
OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Post by OneoftheLost »

:D

Thanks for the reads! I'll be sure to update the thread as the story grows. Thanks for all the compliments, definatly motivates me to get the next part finished and correct some of the original errors.
OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Post by OneoftheLost »

I honestly didn't think I'd finish this story, but after re-reading it, I feel like I should finish it. Or at least continue the story, and the charactors contained within.

However, I started writing at 1am, and just finished part 4 at 3am. Im aware that there will be spelling and grammar mistakes. I ran it through an online spell-checker, but I think those things are crap. :P

Basically I wanted to continue and put it up while it was fresh in my mind.Ive also noticed its quite long, and a real PAIN to wade through, so I appreciate anyone who does! Its a pretty slow paced story. With alot of unneccesary junk. Guess that's my writing style. :P Hopefully I'll have another part up before the end of the week, but no promises.

Basically, every part so far is exposition. I want to draw readers into a universe, while showing the cast, and ideas of the story. The real.. 'plot' if you will, hasn't started yet. Its coming, and I'm slowly getting there, but I think ALOT of backstory, and exposition needs to be shown before the plot makes sense. Silly, I know, but its how I write.

Thanks for the read if you do, and if not, thanks for the space to practice my writing!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Have added this story to the Oolite Stories page on the Wiki.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Post by OneoftheLost »

:shock:

Well thank you!

Its an honor to be on the wiki. :)