Ship recommendations?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Screet wrote:
Don't worry, your ship won't blow up if you fly without paying for maintenance!
Apart from drive misjumps and similar failures?

Also, I thought there was some thinking going on about the repercussions of maintenance being more severe?
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Sendraks wrote:
Apart from drive misjumps and similar failures?
Wasn't it only a higher possibility for fuel leaks? That's not much to worry about...and really, I often don't pay maintenance until I stumble over a navy base which will do it for half the price...and really, never noticed anything.

Misjumps...even that shouldn't be too much to worry about?
Sendraks wrote:
Also, I thought there was some thinking going on about the repercussions of maintenance being more severe?
I don't know about that...

Screet
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Screet wrote:
Depends on the ship I suppose and where you wind up. Winding up in a pack of Thargoids when in an Anaconda isn't my idea of fun.

All those insectoid eyes staring at you like you're a great big loot pinata.

*shudder*
Screet wrote:
I don't know about that...
Well I might just be venting quirium, but I'm sure someone said in response to peeps flying around without worrying about maintainence that something was in the works to make that less desirable.
treczoks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by treczoks »

Screet wrote:
Depends on your skills. Maybe this is something for the thargoids to be more worried about than you :lol:

Yours, Christian
[It/we/I] [awoke]. [Identity]:[Undetermined], [Location]:[Undetermined], [Objective]:[Destroy]. [Priorize([Determination]:[Identity])]:[High]. [Execute].
ouklos
Average
Average

Re: Ship recommendations?

Post by ouklos »

treczoks wrote:
My current Commander is flying the good old trusted Cobra MK III and is dreaming of and saving for something bigger and better.

The Dream Ship would be a Boa 2 Class Cruiser, but the price tag is a bit too hefty (at the moment).

Any recommendations for a ship with a bit more cargo capacity, maybe in the 200kCr range?

Yours, Christian
Hello,

Two good ships in the 'cheap traders' :

- The Josher. (Newships.oxp)
Pros : cheap (175 000 credits), cargo up to 65 T, decent speed (0.320 LM), rather good manoeuvrability, lot of missile slots.
Cons : takes only Military Shields Boosters, average recharge rate.

The Josher is a very good upgrade to the Cobra. It can fight, just watch your shields and energy levels closely. Not an Iron Ass !

- The H-4 Trident Executive Shuttle. (Executive Spaceways v2.2.oxp by Ramirez)
Pros : affordable (275 000 cr, but comes with lot of standard equipment), cargo up to 55 T, decent speed (0.320 LM), good fighter (same as a Cobra III), beautiful ! (IMHO of course)
Cons : forward gun only.
The Trident is a bit pricey, but quality is never cheap !

There is also the Hamadryad. (Newships.oxp)
I used one for a long time before switching to a Josher.
More cargo, but very slow speed (0.225 LM) and recharge rate. Better stick to safe systems with this one :)

And forget those ugly Boas/Pythons, the H-7 Strelka CruiseLiner rules! (Executive Spaceways v2.2.oxp)
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

@ above: That's what I do too.
Suggestion: Merge this thread with my "Ship choice". Then put the sensible recommendations into the Wiki...
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

I've been flying a Supercobra since before deadly, fast and manouverable, and a 55ton cargo hold, but i'd like more cargo space so I've decided to try a Morrigon but it hasn't popped up in the shipyards yet, I'm hoping it doesn't cost more than 2.5m credits.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

TGHC wrote:
I've been flying a Supercobra since before deadly, fast and manouverable, and a 55ton cargo hold, but i'd like more cargo space so I've decided to try a Morrigon but it hasn't popped up in the shipyards yet, I'm hoping it doesn't cost more than 2.5m credits.
I can recommend an Imperial Courier. 100tons, more than enough to go pirating creating and hunting for cargo-pods in the space lanes.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

I've got an imperial courier at deadly, but the problem is the lower half the screen is obscured by the front of the ship so I went back to the supercobra, I'm still looking for a Morrigon to try, but it hasn't appeared in any shipyards yet, what are the odds?
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

TGHC wrote:
I've got an imperial courier at deadly, but the problem is the lower half the screen is obscured by the front of the ship
I don't have that. It sounds not right.
Pluisje
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Pluisje »

TGHC wrote:
I've got an imperial courier at deadly, but the problem is the lower half the screen is obscured by the front of the ship so I went back to the supercobra, I'm still looking for a Morrigon to try, but it hasn't appeared in any shipyards yet, what are the odds?
The view from the IC is probably not optimised for your aspect ratio. You can change the view in the shipdata.plist under <key>view_position_forward</key> up the second number (y-position) a bit, that should fix it.

The Morrigan has odds of 0.9, so that quite high, but it has the tech level set to 15 in the shipyard.plist. As the techlevel starts at 0, it's only available from tech level 16 and above... To give yourself a chance to find it, open the shipyard.plist (NOT with notepad, do a quick search of the forum to see why not) and lower the techlevel to 14 (i.e. actually 15). Or lower the level one more, but halve the odds for fairness.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Pluisje wrote:
The Morrigan has odds of 0.9, so that quite high, but it has the tech level set to 15 in the shipyard.plist. As the techlevel starts at 0, it's only available from tech level 16 and above...
Tech level 16 does not exist, so it's impossible to buy without fiddling the code then.

There are only 6 Tech level 15's throughout all 8 galaxies, that doesn't bother me.

Being a non-techy, I tend to avoid playing with codes, though with guidance I did manage to change my ships name to what it was originally. I installed notepad+ to do that so I might be brave and have a go.

Thanks for the advice
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Lines 39&40 in shipyard.plist

Code: Select all

<key>techlevel</key>
<integer>15</integer>
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

So change that to a lower tech level? I need to be spoonfed here.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Yep. That "15" means TL 16. So if you want it in a TL11, you need to change it to "10".
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt