Licensing OXPs

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Licensing OXPs

Post by Cholmondely »

Cody wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:59 am
Cholmondely wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:47 am
Cody, Smivs et al eventually decided that they did not like what it did to their Ooniverse, hence their preference for HIMSN...
Eventually? I hated it from day one - far too pervasive! [rant deleted] Hence why some of us decided to make HIMSN.
What a shame that HIMSN never took off. I never quite worked out - how many systems other than Lave actually supported and helped pay for it? And were there any outside Galaxy 1?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Originally, HIMSN was to be based in the fifth octant, in the Tetiri/Orlaed zero-distance double system.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:05 pm
Cody, Smivs et al eventually decided that they did not like what it did to their Ooniverse, hence their preference for HIMSN...
Eventually? I hated it from day one - far too pervasive! [rant deleted] Hence why some of us decided to make HIMSN.
What a shame that HIMSN never took off. I never quite worked out - how many systems other than Lave actually supported and helped pay for it? And were there any outside Galaxy 1?
I still have it installed in one of my setups, great work with a different concept. For a while some Asp were after me in nearly every system I jumped. :lol:
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Could/should it be broken down into several OXPs then?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

hiran wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:43 pm
Could/should it be broken down into several OXPs then?
You can create several scenarios, like HIMSN against Thargoids or occasional patrol flights, but to be fully functionable I don't think so.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

montana05 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:07 am
Cholmondely wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:19 am
Galactic Navy.
Would it be possible to publish this without license on the Expansions Manager on condition that it is only updated by an Override?
GN I am still uncertain, as much as I remember there was never a post that would permit to use his work. We could upload it to the manager and add a disclaimer to the wiki, maybe add some overrides as requirement. :?:
Just searched for Nemoricus: there is a Nemoricus who is an add-on developer at www.orbiter-forum.com - designing space ships and stuff! And he's been there since 2009 and was last seen there a year ago! I don't have e-mail, but if somebody would like to approach him...
Last edited by Cholmondely on Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:12 pm
Galactic Navy.
Would it be possible to publish this without license on the Expansions Manager on condition that it is only updated by an Override?

GN I am still uncertain, as much as I remember there was never a post that would permit to use his work. We could upload it to the manager and add a disclaimer to the wiki, maybe add some overrides as requirment. :?:
Just searched for Nemoricus: there is a Nemoricus who is an add-on developer at www.orbiter-forum.com - designing space ships and stuff! And he's been there since 2009 and was last seen there a year ago! I don't have e-mail, but if somebody would like to approach him...
I will gladly leave this task to somebody more diplomatic than me. :|
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:12 pm
Galactic Navy.
GN I am still uncertain, as much as I remember there was never a post that would permit to use his work. We could upload it to the manager and add a disclaimer to the wiki, maybe add some overrides as requirement. :?:
Just a little more on this.

Nemoricus disappeared when Spara started suggesting major revisions to the Galactic Navy. He was not asking Nemoricus to do them, but he may have misunderstood. And he was chary about giving a license, even though his work was fully approved by Matt634 and Matt634 seemed happy for him to take it over.

I think that asking Nemoricus for permission to put up version 5.4.3 on the Expansions Manager should be fine, and there should be no issues with it. We can also ask him for a license, but maybe do that afterwards, so that if he is reluctant and needs to think about it, we already have the Navy on the manager.

References:
Nemoricus & Spara (2015)
Matt634 & Nemoricus (1 - 2009)
Matt634 & Nemoricus (2 - 2009)
Comments wanted:
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:12 pm

Nemoricus disappeared when Spara started suggesting major revisions to the Galactic Navy. He was not asking Nemoricus to do them, but he may have misunderstood. And he was chary about giving a license, even though his work was fully approved by Matt634 and Matt634 seemed happy for him to take it over.

I think that asking Nemoricus for permission to put up version 5.4.3 on the Expansions Manager should be fine, and there should be no issues with it. We can also ask him for a license, but maybe do that afterwards, so that if he is reluctant and needs to think about it, we already have the Navy on the manager.

References:
Nemoricus & Spara (2015)
He always seemed to be very reluctant to add a license, even the OXP is based on some other people's work, Eric Walch for example. However, I think asking for permission to upload to the manager first would be the right approach, everything else could follow later step by step.
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

References:
Nemoricus & Spara (2015)
He always seemed to be very reluctant to add a license, even the OXP is based on some other people's work, Eric Walch for example. However, I think asking for permission to upload to the manager first would be the right approach, everything else could follow later step by step.

EDIT:
I didn't know that Matt is a JAG, if he is still in the military, maybe better to contact him as the original author.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

montana05 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:27 pm

References:
Nemoricus & Spara (2015)

EDIT:
I didn't know that Matt is a JAG, if he is still in the military, maybe better to contact him as the original author.
So, I also searched for Matt634 JAG Colorado (where he was at University) & Matt634 JAG. Nothing.
Comments wanted:
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:57 pm
So, I also searched for Matt634 JAG Colorado (where he was at University) & Matt634 JAG. Nothing.
If he didn't make up a story (I don't think so) I might be able to find him. I still got access to some US military databases, so I could try.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Please bear in mind that some people who have moved on might resent being tracked down.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Cody wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:10 pm
Please bear in mind that some people who have moved on might resent being tracked down.
...and in case they have been/are reluctant to give a license there could be a reason to it. Maybe they never fully owned the code - they may have 'borrowed' parts from elsewhere as well.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

hiran wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:15 pm
Cody wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:10 pm
...and in case they have been/are reluctant to give a license there could be a reason to it. Maybe they never fully owned the code - they may have 'borrowed' parts from elsewhere as well.
Point taken Cody, thanks for reminding me it's just a game, not a job.