Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Freelancer Vs. Oolite.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I agree with A_C - they were nice to start with but I got bored with the chore of walking around what was effectively just an interative cut-scene...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

I've never played Freelancer, but I have to admit that I like my first-person games to stay first-person ... I don't want to jump out of myself and see myself from the outside. It's one thing to have an external camera view now and then on the ship, but it's entirely another to have it for the pilot! And anyway, what if I didn't want to be human, male, white and blond? :?
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

Its not the third person aspect i like its the graphical presentation which can also be achieved in the first person.
You know, text based menus are one of the main reasons why I prefer Oolite to Freelancer. In Oolite it's all supposed to be happening through your ship's monitors/viewscreens and there is room to work the imagination, whereas in Freelancer it's like being "out of the game", like watching a movie. For me, this is completely ruining the immersion. But as they say, different people, different tastes
e.g you could be looking at a monitor viewing available commodities in foreground but also view the rest of the commodity store in background above the monitor.
STE.+ Firefly/Dragonfly + BlackJacksbullion v.1.23 link below.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ca16 ... f6e8ebb871
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Rustybolts wrote:
e.g you could be looking at a monitor viewing available commodities in foreground but also view the rest of the commodity store in background above the monitor.
I prefer to imagine the commodity store the way I think it would be, not the way some graphics designer thought. The best part of E(Oo)lite happens inside the player's head, not on screen. But as I said, it all boils down to personal preference. I side with E(Oo)lite 100% on this matter.
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

Thats cool but it would be nice if it was oxp-able maybe to add static screens in background of gui screens
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

We tried to add this at some point, but hit some technical problems with the screens containing models (like the planet info and the shipyard screen) and the project was left behind. We might revisit it at some later point in time.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Rustybolts wrote:
Thats cool but it would be nice if it was oxp-able maybe to add static screens in background of gui screens
Have you tried out Snoopers? Or the missions contained in Vector.oxp, for that matter?
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

I was trying to accomplish the above, using mission screens before you entered each area but the mission screen once ended reverts back to main screen and not screen you want to be.
see post
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=7105
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

We might just be able to add customisable backgrounds to 1.74! If everything goes well, we should be able to specify a near distance 'foreground' image, a mid-distance 3d model, and a far distance backrgound image.

But it all depends on finding the actual time to do so!

Fingers crossed! ;)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

Kaks wrote:
We might just be able to add customisable backgrounds to 1.74! If everything goes well, we should be able to specify a near distance 'foreground' image, a mid-distance 3d model, and a far distance backrgound image.

But it all depends on finding the actual time to do so!

Fingers crossed! ;)
Looking forward to it already toes and fingers crossed! :D
sectoid
Above Average
Above Average

Post by sectoid »

Thanks to all of You who taked the time and replied on my original post !

I have found so much more about Oolite from replies to my post and opinions of other players.

Oxp suggestions were very helpful. I'm just loving
'Your AD here' -Oxp.

Once again, thanks to all!

If there were Multiplayer-Oolite.. I'd gang up with some of you guys :)
- - end of transmission - -

'Mors Certa, Vita Incerta'
sectoid
Above Average
Above Average

o g

Post by sectoid »

Freelancer was NOT over when the scripted part ended. No one who quits playing after that scripted part cannot undestand the potential of that game. I thought that the game started when i finished all the scripted missions..
There were more, If You take the time and go through asian starsystems, and look for pirate-bays.

Also, there was an option to explore universe by Yourself.
There we're Pirate bases everywhere (hidden) but I had to play for few months untill i discovered them. Big fan of Oolite because You dont have a map that tells You where to go, You have to look.

Not a big fan of Microsoft but FL was an release they had to buy, and they did a halfassed job with it like all other releases.. ;P

I'm surprised to listen all of You guys bashing Freelancer, aside from the fact that You didnt ever finish that game.. :)

Anyone visited the Planet of the apes ? (In FL).

FL had some potential untill M$ bought it.

'nuff said.

Well, very happy that Oolite is something else. :)
I'd like to know people who had this idea, 'Let's make an game, like Elite, but better'.

Cheers.
- - end of transmission - -

'Mors Certa, Vita Incerta'
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

I liked Freelancer very much. To be honest, if it weren't for Freelancer, I wouldn't play Oolite, since I wanted some "little" freelancer-ish game for Mac.
Freelancer was great to a certain point, I'd say - after completing the story (including visiting the planet of the apes and the planet of the robots :P) and exploring the Universe, being friends with pirates in distant, mysterious systems, finding alien weapons and getting the best ships, the point was definitely reached, if not long before. The world seemed lively with nice graphics, different landing animations for every planet, random-encounters with pirates and dialogues and so on at first, but it was not a bit dynamic. The dialogues always had the same scheme, the prices for trading never changed and pirates got too easy too quick. (It was especially ridiculous in a story-sense that Liberty ships < Bretonia Ships < Kusari Ships < Rheinland ships.)

I played X: Beyond the Frontier and X-Tension before (later bought X2: The Threat which I played for ca. 2 days), but they quickly got boring because they lacked much of this lively mood - everything seemed so completey automated from the start.

So, what about Oolite? It's multi-platform, free and (at least for me) stable. That's nice to begin with, but it also features a dynamic universe and a great expansion oppurtunity which lets me hope for much more in the futures.
You know, I could just play Freelancer via BootCamp or on another computer. I could even play it online! But I play Oolite because it seems "alive" cause of it's dynamic, and although it has a vast universe, I don't feel lost. I know what to do.
The last point is the one of the reasons why I don't play Vega Strike rather than Oolite...
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Corny wrote:
I liked Freelancer very much. To be honest, if it weren't for Freelancer, I wouldn't play Oolite, since I wanted some "little" freelancer-ish game for Mac.
Freelancer was great to a certain point, I'd say - after completing the story (including visiting the planet of the apes and the planet of the robots :P) and exploring the Universe, being friends with pirates in distant, mysterious systems, finding alien weapons and getting the best ships, the point was definitely reached, if not long before. The world seemed lively with nice graphics, different landing animations for every planet, random-encounters with pirates and dialogues and so on at first, but it was not a bit dynamic. The dialogues always had the same scheme, the prices for trading never changed and pirates got too easy too quick. (It was especially ridiculous in a story-sense that Liberty ships < Bretonia Ships < Kusari Ships < Rheinland ships.)

I played X: Beyond the Frontier and X-Tension before (later bought X2: The Threat which I played for ca. 2 days), but they quickly got boring because they lacked much of this lively mood - everything seemed so completey automated from the start.

So, what about Oolite? It's multi-platform, free and (at least for me) stable. That's nice to begin with, but it also features a dynamic universe and a great expansion oppurtunity which lets me hope for much more in the futures.
You know, I could just play Freelancer via BootCamp or on another computer. I could even play it online! But I play Oolite because it seems "alive" cause of it's dynamic, and although it has a vast universe, I don't feel lost. I know what to do.
The last point is the one of the reasons why I don't play Vega Strike rather than Oolite...
Well said! And no other game has a forum like Oolite's BB!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here