Trading Computer

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Re price averages: The averages on the Trading Chart are calculated as (max + min)/2, max and min being the lowest and the highest price theoretically possible according to the price calculating algorithm. It might be that the theoretical range isn't actually fully used in-game, due to the distribution of economy and random (which are the two factors contributing to prices). Or it may just take a very long while until you actually see the very minimum or maximum price of any given commodity.

And, perhaps even more important: The averages are valid for official GalCop-pricing, in other words, for main stations only. Other dockable entities may alter the price range for each commodity at will. Therefore, if you put their prices in your average, you will alter it.
treczoks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by treczoks »

Commander McLane wrote:
Re price averages: The averages on the Trading Chart are calculated as (max + min)/2, max and min being the lowest and the highest price theoretically possible according to the price calculating algorithm. It might be that the theoretical range isn't actually fully used in-game, due to the distribution of economy and random (which are the two factors contributing to prices).
This is indeed the case. For The Traders Almanach I ran a complete simulation over all the possible prices an economy can have, so I have the real min, max, and average (over the range of the random number generator) prices. If you are interested I could mail you my findings, just drop me a PM.

Yours, Christian Treczoks
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Interesting.

This would suggest that MARKET_RND isn't as random as it should be. But it also does not seem to be always the same in the same system (in that case it would be superfluous completely).

And yes, I am interested in your findings.
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

Frontier allowed you to look at prices before docking via the F4 comms stuff...
...didn't it?

In terms of the "how would you know" backstory, you could argue that a Jameson would do his research before getting his pilot's license, and would have a copy of an almanac with last year's prices in. (Or more likely, would have the iGroan app installed with same.)

Or you could make a piece of equipment available that logs prices as you visit systems and then does the math for you... "Trading Computer" or some such. That way you won't have some kind of eldritch knowledge outside the Ooniverse, you'd only be using data you yourself had gathered.
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

zevans wrote:
In terms of the "how would you know" backstory, you could argue that a Jameson would do his research before getting his pilot's license, and would have a copy of an almanac with last year's prices in. (Or more likely, would have the iGroan app installed with same.)
Do the station prices change after you've docked? No? Then perhaps your ship obtained those prices beforehand, when it entered the system itself.

I would think that the witchspace beacon automatically repeats such base system data that your ship picks up on when it enters the system.

This then neatly explains how and why all ships have that data available.
A trumble a day keeps the doctor away, and the tax man;
even the Grim Reaper keeps his distance.
-- Paul Wilkins
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

But still all of this would only be applicable for the main station prices. And those were always available system-wide.
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

zevans wrote:
Or you could make a piece of equipment available that logs prices as you visit systems and then does the math for you... "Trading Computer" or some such. That way you won't have some kind of eldritch knowledge outside the Ooniverse, you'd only be using data you yourself had gathered.
I should mention here that I am developing a trading computer for purchase, which will record the main station prices as you enter a system and let you know of best profits available from the historical data of nearby systems that you have traveled.

Such an OXP isn't treading on anyone's toes, is it?
A trumble a day keeps the doctor away, and the tax man;
even the Grim Reaper keeps his distance.
-- Paul Wilkins
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
Interesting.

This would suggest that MARKET_RND isn't as random as it should be. But it also does not seem to be always the same in the same system
I think that random number that generates the price variations is generated when entering the system. Its base is also stored in some way in the saved game (found_system_seed ?) so even after loading an old game the prices stay the same. Only jumping out and back in should change them.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Eric Walch wrote:
I think that random number that generates the price variations is generated when entering the system. Its base is also stored in some way in the saved game (found_system_seed ?)

Code: Select all

<key>market_rnd</key>
	<integer>85</integer>