Combat computers

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Combat computers

Post by pmw57 »

Bringing together some updates to the combat computers scripts, from Screet and Lestradae, the following differences require a decision/discussion.

A consensus needs to be come to as to which set of messages to use.

The first of each list is from Lestradae's copy, and the second of each is from Screet's copy.

CombatComputers2.js
  • "Combat Computers: Auto-locked onto hostile vessel - " + attacker.displayName + "."
  • "CC: Auto-locked onto - " + attacker.displayName + "."
CombatComputers3.js
  • "Combat Computers: The criminal vessel "+this.lasttarget.Frame_bountyScannerName+" has a bounty of "+this.lasttarget.bounty+" Cr"
  • this.lasttarget.Frame_bountyScannerName+" ("+this.lasttarget.bounty+" Cr)"
CombatComputers4.js
  • "Combat Computers: Detected launch of a "+missile.displayName
  • "Incoming: "+missile.displayName
CombatComputers5.js
  • "Combat Computers: Auto-ECM engaged."
  • "Auto-ECM engaged."
A trumble a day keeps the doctor away, and the tax man;
even the Grim Reaper keeps his distance.
-- Paul Wilkins
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

2nd one in all cases for me. The first (current in my v0.69 beta) puts too much text on the screen to look right.
matthewfarmery
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by matthewfarmery »

this is something I need to test, but I would agree that the second option would be better,

I will update my sig so that it also points to this thread
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

If everyone agrees that the long lines are, well, too long, I'll accept your judgement :(

But, what I want to stay in somehow and to have implemented, is a form of message that keeps understandable that these are CC functions, also to the CC-noobish player.

The CC unites diverse functions (target reticle, bounty scanner, auto-ECM, target autolock and sure something else I forgot :oops: and it's rather expensive) - so players should see the difference and know what is causing it.

Suggestions? :D

PS: Just saw that this was supposed to be a duel. Oh well, the red team already lost ... the "Combat Computers" still has to stay in the line somewhere/-how :twisted:
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ..

Post by Screet »

Lestradae wrote:
so players should see the difference and know what is causing it.
Maybe put some [CC] before every message? If it would read CC Incoming: that would be strange, but perhaps [CC] incoming: works?
Lestradae wrote:
PS: Just saw that this was supposed to be a duel. Oh well, the red team already lost ... the "Combat Computers" still has to stay in the line somewhere/-how :twisted:
I really had no intention on such a thing...I changed the lines because I did like it more and when it was time to test reworked timer scripts with Matthew, I simply took the whole folder instead of trying to identify which scripts would have to be replaced - I even did tell him to keep his old version of scripts because I did make some more modifications which he might like to undo.

Screet
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

@duel: Screet, that was a tongue-in-cheek reply to matthewfarmery :P

Did you have a look at my "provisoric procedure" suggestion about working on the scripts in the OSE thread?

pmw57 & matthewfarmery have already agreed, would like to hear your opinion and that you have read it too before again work is done double :wink:

Cheers

L
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

Screet wrote:
Lestradae wrote:
so players should see the difference and know what is causing it.
Maybe put some [CC] before every message? If it would read CC Incoming: that would be strange, but perhaps [CC] incoming: works?
I am happy with that sort of thing, though CC seems to be confusingly similar to the EMail CC term, and the player may not even be able to relate CC to an earlier forgotten purchase of the Combat Computer.

Is it appropriate to consider other terms in place of CC?
-- Paul Wilkins
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

ComComp maybe?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Would it really be too long to set a "Combat Computers: " in front of its messages?
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Lestradae wrote:
Would it really be too long to set a "Combat Computers: " in front of its messages?
For me, as I prefer the original oolite font over the OSE default one for better readability, YES ;)

However, L, you know, I initially asked wether you might want to supply TWO versions, one with the full text and one shortened like I did it...because I can very well imagine that there are people who prefer longer messages. Maybe there's even an elegant mechanism to support both inside a JS and switch them by adding an additional setup file (or simply setting a variable in one script and then they use if to decide upon the text creation mechanism to be used).

Hmm. Maybe there should be a vote set up: Would you prefer longer or shorter messages (examples only a suggestion, please specific if you'd like something else) and add "don't care" and "something in between". People surely are more likely to vote than to write a message ;)

Screet
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

While we are deciding, I shall adjust the code so that the appropriate term will only need to be updated in one location.
-- Paul Wilkins
pmw57
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pmw57 »

The combat computer scripts have been updated so that a consistent mission variable called CombatComputerIdentifer is used in front of the messages.

Revision 11 is for these files:
http://code.google.com/p/ooliteshipyard ... puters2.js
http://code.google.com/p/ooliteshipyard ... puters3.js
http://code.google.com/p/ooliteshipyard ... puters4.js
http://code.google.com/p/ooliteshipyard ... puters5.js
-- Paul Wilkins
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Combat computers

Post by Cholmondely »

Can anybody tell me what all this is supposed to be about?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?