Generation Ships 1.1 OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Generation Ships 1.1 OXP

Post by ffutures »

Annoyingly I misjumped and came out near a generation ship tonight - but it was surrounded by swarms of Thargoids including some Thargon battlecruisers, I had to beat a hasty retreat!
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Marvellous stuff, I think! (Even if a bit annoying.) I think one of my OXPs, in one way or another, would have been responsible for that. Did you notice the generation ship launching thargoids?
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

It was ID'd as "hijacked," I guessed it was probably Thargoids that took it but I wasn't able to confirm that.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

ffutures wrote:
It was ID'd as "hijacked," I guessed it was probably Thargoids that took it but I wasn't able to confirm that.
There is a huge bounty on those things. Next time, you might want to try to destroy it. If you are brave/very clever/suicidal!
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Is there some way I should have known that it was a legitimate target?
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

Well, ffutures, yes. (1) The hijacked ship should have showed on your scanner in a Thargoid colour. (2) If you have the Bounty Scanner (I think that's what it is called) OXP installed, and you have a working bounty scanner, then it would have showed the fat, sweet bounty. There's also (3) the fact it was actually launching thargoids.

Now admittedly: it is easy to miss 1; 2 may not have applied to you; and you may not have had time to notice 3.

Still, I counsel a spirit of experimentation. For instance, why not try . . to dock with it?
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

UK_Eliter wrote:
Well, ffutures, yes. (1) The hijacked ship should have showed on your scanner in a Thargoid colour. (2) If you have the Bounty Scanner (I think that's what it is called) OXP installed, and you have a working bounty scanner, then it would have showed the fat, sweet bounty. There's also (3) the fact it was actually launching thargoids.

Now admittedly: it is easy to miss 1; 2 may not have applied to you; and you may not have had time to notice 3.

Still, I counsel a spirit of experimentation. For instance, why not try . . to dock with it?
Riiiiiight...
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

That's the spirit!

Still, those hijacked ships are very rare indeed. I could supply a hack to make them a little more common . .
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

UK_Eliter wrote:
That's the spirit!

Still, those hijacked ships are very rare indeed. I could supply a hack to make them a little more common . .
In the couple of months since I added this I've only seen one ship, I really doubt it's worth it - if anything, I'd like to see one without the distraction of Thargoids.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

ffutures wrote:
if anything, I'd like to see one without the distraction of Thargoids.
Well, my InterstellarTweaks OXP makes normal - un-hijacked Generation ships - rarer, as well as adding the very rare hijacked version.

To see my more normal Generation ships, either uninstall InterstellarTweaks, or hack into the InterstellarTweaks file IST_masterScript.js (in the scripts folder of the OXP/OXZ) and change

Code: Select all

this.chanceRemoveGenshipsInAll
to 0 or at least to something lower than its current value of 0.7. (I think that I might slightly reduce that value myself in future releases.)
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

I've updated this to v1.5, and performed some work on the textures, adding normal maps, and tweaked the spawning logic to be much simpler.

I had to make a choice on the smoothness of the cylinders. Originally, the shipdata has smooth = true; in order to make the cylinders rounder. However, after adding the normal map the light reflections across the surface were kind of weird. So I turned off the smoothness property, which I think still looks OK.

I can revert back to the original if we think this has gone a step too far, though. :D

@UK_Eliter: This should still operate successfully with your IST OXP.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

phkb,

Judging by the screenshot, you have done a great job!

I'll try to find time to test with 'IST'.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

UK_Eliter wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:42 am
Judging by the screenshot, you have done a great job!
Yeah... there's something almost Egyptian obelisk-like about that texture!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Beautifull!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Wood, no? Our very first wooden spaceship! Fully recyclable and all that...

Now we just need one or two paper ones to add to the mix!
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
UK_Eliter wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:19 am
The big news here is phkb seems to have made generation ships - and not just the hijacked type that I designed - dockable! But, hold on, no market? The inhabitants of a generation ship might lack credits, but I imagine they'd be desperate to barter for supplies! Perhaps - ignoring the point about credits - one should be able to sell them luxuries and alloys and radioactives and food and textiles (and perhaps some other things) and receive monstrous amounts of credits in return!
phkb wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:24 am
But, hold on, no market?
I couldn't see the logic of how a Generation ship could have a market in anything - even assuming the might want certain products, they wouldn't have any way to pay you. The likelihood of a ship that old having the current universe "credits" is a bit of a stretch. As you say, bartering might work, but again, that's not what the F8 screen does - it's based on credits. So, really, to maintain some semblance of logic, I'd need to rewrite the F8 market screen to be a bartering system.

Anyway, happy to bat this around some more, maybe in the Gen Ships thread.
phkb wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:25 am
The big news here is phkb seems to have made generation ships ... dockable!
Well, yes, but...

Don't. Especially if you like your bank balance. And your clean rating.
I don't see how GalCop et al would know if I docked with one. Just if I shot one.

But the markets: surely people on board would have gold, jewels & platinum. And food of a sort. And liquors. And textiles of a sort. This stuff could possibly all be varieties of luxuries rather than the more mundane versions bought in the orbital stations. Just as, for example, my more mundane liquors might well be luxuries for them.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?