Generation Ships 1.1 OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Generation Ships 1.1 OXP

Post by Cholmondely »

Redspear wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:32 pm
To my mind that's just installing an atrium, because upon leaving it ...

Cholmondely wrote:
Here the "map proper" begins
...and we're into the branching model again.

However you set it up, such a model is not a good fit for the reasons I have tried to explain.

If you disagree then that's fine, there's plenty of room to.
So this really seems to be the only point where we disagree, and my suggestion covers a possible option for the player, if things work out in such a way as to allow it.

We seem to pretty much agree about everything else.

Phew!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:43 pm
So this really seems to be the only point where we disagree, and my suggestion covers a possible option for the player, if things work out in such a way as to allow it.

We seem to pretty much agree about everything else.

Phew!
Maybe so... It's hard to be sure at this point :lol:

Flesh out the model with ideas I haven't considered and you might even change my mind, who knows? :P
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Generation ships are huge and so they should be slow and ponderous, right?

Except... that they have no witchspace drive and yet have travelled X number of light years in 'only' 30 generations to find themselves scatted throughout the 8 'galaxies'.
Maximum speed 0.06 LM
That's positively glacial.

Even if that were truly 6% of light speed (and in comparison with other elite/oolite ships it clearly isn't even close) then they could only have travelled approx (30 x 0.06 x 20 = ) 36 light years. With Sol nowhere to be found and for them to be scattered throughout the 8, that is clearly, woefully inadequate.

There is no canonical speed for them AFAIK but rather than drifting,
these immense vessels ploughing their way through the galaxy,
...they could be 'ploughing', which in flavour at least suggests a more purposeful momentum.

We perhaps don't want them overtaking the player in normal circumstances but it might be nice if they were at least obviously moving.
How about doubling it to 0.12 LM?

It's probably definitely still too slow for them to have made it so far yet ponderous enough to convey something of their size and for them to still (just) be overtaken by an anaconda.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Redspear wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:33 pm
Generation ships are huge and so they should be slow and ponderous, right?

Except... that they have no witchspace drive and yet have travelled X number of light years in 'only' 30 generations to find themselves scatted throughout the 8 'galaxies'.
Maximum speed 0.06 LM
That's positively glacial.

Even if that were truly 6% of light speed (and in comparison with other elite/oolite ships it clearly isn't even close) then they could only have travelled approx (30 x 0.06 x 20 = ) 36 light years. With Sol nowhere to be found and for them to be scattered throughout the 8, that is clearly, woefully inadequate.

There is no canonical speed for them AFAIK but rather than drifting,
these immense vessels ploughing their way through the galaxy,
...they could be 'ploughing', which in flavour at least suggests a more purposeful momentum.

We perhaps don't want them overtaking the player in normal circumstances but it might be nice if they were at least obviously moving.
How about doubling it to 0.12 LM?

It's probably definitely still too slow for them to have made it so far yet ponderous enough to convey something of their size and for them to still (just) be overtaken by an anaconda.
I'd been wondering about that. Just couldn't be bothered to do the mathematics...

Sounds good to me!
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Comments wanted:
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Bit of a rework, including new specular maps. Hopefully looks less "wooden" now! And with a bloom effect on the engine.

phkb
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Version 1.6 in the manager now. With shiplibrary.plist as provided by Cholmondely.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

looks awesome, very metallic and grimy, definately looks like it's been lost in space for years and years