Oolite Linux - Trunk nightly builds

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

fronclynne
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Oolite Linux - Trunk nightly builds

Post by fronclynne »

Ahruman wrote:
fronclynne, have you tested a more recent nightly?
Sorry about the hiatus.

Yes, it has been working fine since (I think it was) r4747. Now up to r4753.

Out of curiosity, is it just the crappy old graphics chip in this laptop, or what?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

fronclynne wrote:
Out of curiosity, is it just the crappy old graphics chip in this laptop, or what?
Yep.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

I was trying out r5049 with the new keyboard settings and I noticed that Energy Bombs are either not working, or have been removed :cry: .

I hope this is just a bug, because whenever you're faced with 20 some odd bandits out to turn your Iron Ass into scrap, help should be just a TAB away :twisted: .
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

CommRLock78 wrote:
... and I noticed that Energy Bombs are either not working, or have been removed
Yep, they've been removed... sort-of. Read through this thread for more info.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

El Viejo wrote:
CommRLock78 wrote:
... and I noticed that Energy Bombs are either not working, or have been removed
Yep, they've been removed... sort-of. Read through this thread for more info.
I've thought about the arguments before, but I think m4r35n357 is right in that, although NPC's cannot have one, the player can carry only one (I wouldn't object to leveling the playing field by slightly decreasing the E-bomb's power so that some of the stronger ships can survive and allowing NPC's to have them) .

I read the thread and found the code, too. I hope this stays as part of the the coding ;).
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

CommRLock78 wrote:
[...] whenever you're faced with 20 some odd bandits out to turn your Iron Ass into scrap, help should be just a TAB away :twisted: .
There's always the Escape Pod: you get to survive, but don't get rewarded for taking on too many enemies.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

CommRLock78 wrote:
...because whenever you're faced with 20 some odd bandits out to turn your Iron Ass into scrap, help should be just a TAB away :twisted: .
Why? What about the poor old NPCs faced with 20 bandits? Shouldn't they have the same advantages/disadvantages you do?
Anyway, disembodied's point about escape capsules is a good one, and of course that's also what fuel injectors are for. A lot of the skill in playing Oolite is knowing when to call it a day and leg it!
Also considering the core game will never give you 20 bandits to deal with, I have to repeat one of my mantras - If you can't cope with what the OXPs you've installed throw at you, you've got the wrong OXPs installed :wink:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Smivs wrote:
CommRLock78 wrote:
...because whenever you're faced with 20 some odd bandits out to turn your Iron Ass into scrap, help should be just a TAB away :twisted: .
Why? What about the poor old NPCs faced with 20 bandits? Shouldn't they have the same advantages/disadvantages you do?
Anyway, disembodied's point about escape capsules is a good one, and of course that's also what fuel injectors are for. A lot of the skill in playing Oolite is knowing when to call it a day and leg it!
Also considering the core game will never give you 20 bandits to deal with, I have to repeat one of my mantras - If you can't cope with what the OXPs you've installed throw at you, you've got the wrong OXPs installed :wink:
I don't mind the challenge, I just need to learn to leg it like you say when I'm overwhelmed and not bull-headedly and fool-heartedly jump into attack mode :P . But there's something fun about 20 orange marks on the radar - I guess it's an adrenaline rush :D .
Last edited by CommRLock78 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Disembodied wrote:
CommRLock78 wrote:
[...] whenever you're faced with 20 some odd bandits out to turn your Iron Ass into scrap, help should be just a TAB away :twisted: .
There's always the Escape Pod: you get to survive, but don't get rewarded for taking on too many enemies.
You know, since I discovered Oolite (and could afford one ;) ) I've always carried an Escape Pod, but I've never actually used it. I think I'm probably better off fleeing as Smivs suggests, since this commander goes down with his ship :mrgreen:.
Cody

Post by Cody »

CommRLock78 wrote:
... I just need to learn to leg it like you say when I'm overwhelmed and not bull-heatedly and fool-heartedly jump into attack mode
Knowing/learning when to cut-and-run is vital - one can always re-engage!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

El Viejo wrote:
CommRLock78 wrote:
... I just need to learn to leg it like you say when I'm overwhelmed and not bull-heatedly and fool-heartedly jump into attack mode
Knowing/learning when to cut-and-run is vital - one can always re-engage!
Exactly!! :twisted: I think I am going to remove the 'true' and get used to no energy bombs on the computer with the trunk, it's a good decision - but it's going to make whacking Supergrass Bi Xea'nu a real challenge :lol: !
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Hmm.. no errors reported in the build log, but I get this when trying to download 5503.
The requested URL /linux/oolite-trunk-1.77.0.5503-dev.linux-x86.tgz was not found on this server.
Edit: never mind.. working now. :D
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Okay, I've checked out the trunk from SVN, but I can't seem to remember what I need to do. I read the README.txt, and it says to use 'dpkg-buildpackage' (I'm running a debian-based distro). I tried typing, make and make install. Here's what I get:

Code: Select all

~/Source/Via-SVN/r5555/trunk $ make
GNUmakefile:1: /common.make: No such file or directory
GNUmakefile:392: /objc.make: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `/objc.make'.  Stop.
for 'make' and

~/Source/Via-SVN/r5555/trunk $ dpkg-buildpackage
dpkg-buildpackage: export CFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -g -O2 -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Wformat-security
dpkg-buildpackage: export CPPFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
dpkg-buildpackage: export CXXFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -g -O2 -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Wformat-security
dpkg-buildpackage: export FFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: export LDFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro
tail: cannot open `debian/changelog' for reading: No such file or directory
dpkg-buildpackage: error: tail of debian/changelog gave error exit status 1
for 'dpkg-buildpackage'.
I'm sure I'm doing something silly here... :oops: .. it's been since about July since I did this the first time....
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

You're missing the GNUStep stuff.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Tricky wrote:
You're missing the GNUStep stuff.
I have GNUstep in my home folder :) - am I missing something ?

~/GNUstep $ ls
Applications  Defaults  Library  OOmap_toolkit

~/GNUstep/Library $ ls
Caches  DTDs  Services