Oolite Linux - Trunk nightly builds

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Disclaimer: Nightly trunk builds represent the cutting edge in Oolite development.
There are no guarantees about their functionality and they are produced for testing purposes only.
People wishing to just play the game are advised to download the current official releases instead.

What time is the nightly available?
03:15 UTC±00:00 - get code revision for nightly
05:15 UTC±00:00 - nightly published

Where can I get it?
Nightly trunk binaries for the Linux port of Oolite are available at GitHub Oolite Nightly Releases repository.

How do I install it?
To install the package

Code: Select all

$ tar xzvf <filename>.tgz
$ [sudo] ./<filename>.run   # use sudo if you want a system-wide installation
This will auto-uninstall the previous version of Oolite nightly (i.e. Oolite-trunk) and install the new one.
Oolite nightly will be installed either under /opt/Oolite-trunk (system-wide installation) or under $HOME/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite-trunk (home-directory installation).
A desktop menu "Games/Oolite-trunk (oolite.org)" will be also available to any distro which uses the freedesktop.org standard for its menus.

To save considerable download time, you can update your current oolite nightly trunk installation
to the latest nightly trunk build by executing
System-wide installations

$ sudo oolite-trunk-update
Home-directory installations

$ cd ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite-trunk
$ ./oolite-trunk-update
Note: You should have installed a nightly trunk build revision >= r4509 in order to use the "oolite-trunk-update" utility.

How do I uninstall it?
To uninstall the Oolite nightly trunk installation, execute
System-wide installations

$ sudo /opt/Oolite-trunk/uninstall
Home-directory installations

$ ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite-trunk/uninstall
Last edited by Getafix on Thu May 25, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Reason: New nightly builds repository
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Nightly builds of Trunk and Maintenance are now also available as Debian/Ubuntu packages from debs.oolite.org.

Build logs can be viewed here: http://debs.oolite.org/build-logs/

If you do add the 'trunk' and/or 'maint' sections to your sources lists, you will likely want to pin to a particular version. Maint isn't too bad, but otherwise on trunk you will be asked to update (almost) every day.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Due to maintenance activities on terrastorage.ath.cx infrastructure,
some 'Nightly Builds' service hick-ups may be encountered starting
of today and during this weekend.

The activities completion will be announced.

Cheers.

EDIT: Maintenance activities completed.
Last edited by Getafix on Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

If you have already installed the autopackage nightly build package, then
the fastest way to update it to the latest nightly build, is to execute

$ oolite-trunk-update
If it complains about permissions you just execute

$ sudo oolite-trunk-update
The advantage is decreased download and installation time, due to the following:
  • Your trunk installation will only receive the changes and not the full installation.
  • You get the changes from alioth server (thanks, winston 8)) which is considerably faster than terrastorage.
    Alioth is synchronized in real-time following every nightly build.
  • No installation time since your existing installation is updated.
The disadvantage is that the executable scripts '/usr/bin/oolite-trunk' and '/usr/bin/oolite-trunk-update' are not updated, when this method is used.

However, these scripts are rarely altered. The last change was 2 months ago and the change before that was... 45 months ago. :!:
If, anyhow, you still want a remedy for that, you may download and install the full package from time to time.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

A new section "Changes since last successful build" has been added in the Oolite Nightly Build Status site.
Information displayed:
  • Description of changes since last successful build
  • Author
  • Commit date & time
In that way, we hope that, testing and bug reporting will be improved and also give in "realtime" what progress is made.
The nightly build process (including the web page authoring & posting) is entirely automated, so if you notice any glitch, please, do let us know.

Cheers!
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

The Linux nightly build status page has been updated with
a new link to Mac OS X nightly build status page.

Furthermore some minor retouch:
  • the autopackage package is now hosted in Ahruman's server for improved download times,
  • the autopackage package name has been slightly altered,
  • the status execution date information has been moved to the page-header,
  • the nightly build execution time has been shifted to 04:30am UTC and
  • the nightly revision is synchronized with Windows and Mac.
  • Linux and Windows nightly revision is synchronized.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

The Linux nightly has not been performed today,
due to an ongoing cleanup/reorganising of the Oolite-Linux deps trunk folders,
which are not yet submitted in svn.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

The Linux nightly is updated daily as of today.

If your last autopackage installation of Oolite-trunk is before revision r3233,
perform a full install (i.e. do not just update your setup by executing oolite-update).

After that full setup, you may use oolite-update again, to update to the latest nightly.
caracal
Deadly
Deadly

64-bit nightlies?

Post by caracal »

Just asking, not trying to create work for anybody, but ... all I've found are 32-bit nightly builds for Linux. Are there 64-bit builds somewhere and I just haven't found them? (And yes, I know I could use the 32-bit builds on my 64-bit system. Prefer not.)

If not, I might be able to provide them, if they're wanted. I used to build 1.72.x from SVN pretty frequently and found it not too terrible. But I sure don't want to overpromise or tread on any toes or anything.
tinker
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tinker »

I am slightly confused, that does not take much I know, but I am beginning to wonder about my sanity.

I d/l the linux 32bit x86 r3421 autopackage which ran OK. Yesterday I thought about updating to r3442 using oolite-trunk-update and got

Trying rsync://rsync.alioth.net/oolite-trunk-linux-64...
[rsync.alioth.net died and returned 10]

Trying rsync://terrastorage.ath.cx/oolite-trunk-linux-64...
[terrastorage.ath.cx died and returned 10]

If the problem was caused by network or other transient issues, 
try running oolite-trunk-update again.
Alternatively you may download the full package from 
http://terrastorage.ath.cx/oolite/status.html
I noticed that it is trying to sync oolite-trunk-linux-64 though I have the 32bit autopackage. Rather than mess about I d/l the r3442 autopackage and installed that. The install deleted r3421 than failed to install, crashed at 29%. Enough for one day.
Today I tried to d/l a new autopackage but it is still the one from yesterday, is there a problem with the auto build? Is it correct that rsync tries to use linux-64?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Yes there seems to be a problem with the autobuild. For starters, it should be at revision 3445, not 3442. All platforms seem to have missed last night's updates.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

another_commander wrote:
Yes there seems to be a problem with the autobuild. For starters, it should be at revision 3445, not 3442. All platforms seem to have missed last night's updates.
Not entirely; the Mac build was posted successfully to http://nightly.oolite.org/mac/, but Terrastorage hasn’t updated. Getafix?
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

The build has been successfully performed for both Windows and Linux.
The packages have been also ftp-ed to nightly.oolite.org.

On the contrary the updated .html pages have not been posted.
I'll check this today.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

Linux nightly package for r3445 is now available.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

@tinker
oolite-trunk-update is checking your system's arch and tries to update the related package arch.
Since your system is 64bit, it will try to update to the 64bit package, which is not there for the moment.

@caracal
64bit nightly package! That's really good news. Great news I would dare to say! 8)

Now I am going to scare you out of this idea. :wink: :twisted:

In order to provide 64bit nightlies, you should have a machine that meets the following requirements:
  1. The machine should be turned on 24/7.
  2. A web server should be setup in order for people to download the binaries.(terrastorage will host the web page but it will point to your machine for binary download)
  3. The following libraries should be build and installed on the machine:
    This is necessary since for nightlies we want an environment to debug oolite and not each distro's libraries.
    • gnustep-1.18 (stable)
    • espeak-1.43.03 EDIT: Built to use PulseAudio and not PortAudio.
    • SDL-1.2.14 (stable)
    • SDL_mixer-1.2.11
    • libpng-1.4.1
    (I can provide simple instructions on the process as well as the source in case you cannot find these exact versions.)
  4. The machine must be PulseAudio ready. (If the current nightly package has an operational "Spoken Messages" option, then you are PulseAudio ready)
  5. The nightlies across O/Ss are currently synchronized to the MAC nightly revision. In order to do this you will be needing:
    1. . Which revision to build. (I can send you a URL to use with wget)
    2. To provide me with some info to build the page (e.g. status, date, build stdout, build stderr etc.). I can provide you with more details on that too.
If you are in, we can initiate a wave (i.e. google) to give you instructions.

I just had an 80's games flashback... "Who Dares Wins"!