Oolite Windows - Trunk nightly builds

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

This has been posted already, but I believe it is best if it gets its own announcement:

Nightly trunk binaries for the Windows port of Oolite are now available from the Oolite Releases page on GitHub.

Disclaimer: Trunk builds represent the cutting edge in Oolite development. There are no guarantees about their functionality and they are produced for testing purposes only. People wishing to just play the game are advised to download the current official releases instead. The above builds utilize Diziet Sma's modified installer script and can co-exist peacefully with the standard game installations.

The script producing the builds runs every time there is a code commit. You can now get your fresh nightly within about 8 minutes of a commit going in. Please note that only the 64-bit version is generated. Also note that only the latest commit is put up on the release page, so if you want to keep an archive of older nightlies, at this time you will have to do it manually.

Many thanks to hiran for setting the build scripts up.

Edit 11 Nov, 2013: Nightly builds are up and running again and the primary target is now Windows 64-bit.
Edit 23 Oct, 2016: Added rsync instructions as per Diziet Sma's suggestion.
Edit 25 May, 2017: Updated nightlies location to the github one,
Edit 11 Jan, 2022: Updated announcement with the new github actions-produced nightlies.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Due to maintenance activities on terrastorage.ath.cx infrastructure,
some 'Nightly Builds' service hick-ups may be encountered starting
of today and during this weekend.

The activities completion will be announced.

Cheers.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I just tried to download the latest trunk build from the above link.
Normally it takes three or four minutes. The same for Diziet’s build.

Today, it seemed like it was choked, and the estimated time was twenty-three minutes and rising.
I cancelled the download and tried again… same result.

I’ve now tried four times… very slow.

It’s not my system or ISP… everything else is fine, and I’ve checked my speed.

Just tried again… download speed started very fast, then slowed right down to 14 kB/s.
Cancelled again.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

An update has been made to the nightly build system. For those who are using nightly builds for testing purposes or are simply curious to know what is going on with development, the build report and download page now displays the changes since the last successful build, together with the name of the coder(s) who applied them and the time of comit. We hope this will imporve testing and bug reporting and maybe give a chance to people to see what progress is being made in a more "realtime" way. The process is entirely automated, so if you notice any glitch, please do let us know.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Muchas gracias a_c and Getafix. It will help us oxpers to stay informed without nagging you every second day .-)
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

The Windows nightly build status page has been updated with
a new link to Mac OS X nightly build status page.

Furthermore some minor retouch:
  • the setup executable is now hosted in Ahruman's server for improved download times,
  • the setup executable name has been slightly altered,
  • the status execution date has been moved to the page-header,
  • the nightly build execution time has been shifted to 04:00am UTC,
  • the nightly revision is synchronized with Mac and Linux and
  • the windows download link is now first in the download-section.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Cody

Post by Cody »

Just downloaded 1.74.0.3335 and ran the install. Norton didn’t like it at all and has quarantined it.
I had no problem with 3323 yesterday (or with any Oolite installs before). Any thoughts?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

El Viejo wrote:
Just downloaded 1.74.0.3335 and ran the install. Norton didn’t like it at all and has quarantined it.
I had no problem with 3323 yesterday (or with any Oolite installs before). Any thoughts?
Just scanned both the installer executable and all the files in the installation image of the r3335 nightly build installer using McAfee 8.7.0i Enterprise and the 13th May DATs. No detections. Given that the same machine produced yesterday's nightly which seemed to not bother Norton, I would call this a false positive.
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

El Viejo wrote:
Scanned the package with F-Secure 2010 - nothing detected.
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
Cody

Post by Cody »

Cool... thanks guys.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

El Viejo wrote:
Have you recently upgraded Norton? I have and it found something it didn't like and quarantined it. Which would be good except its a pre-existing program demo that it never bothered about before upgrading.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Cody

Post by Cody »

JazHaz wrote:
Have you recently upgraded Norton?
No, been running NIS 2010 since November... and for many years before that with previous editions. It sometimes queries an Oolite download because it's not 'digitally signed' (neither was the last ATI driver, strangely), but that's the first time it's quarantined one.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Apologies for returning to this, but the recent trunk nightly builds really freak my Nortons out. I just tried to run r3388. It can’t detect anything bad in the downloaded binary, but as soon as I run the .exe, it insists on quarantining the file, then goes into a flurry of background activity, using over fifty per cent CPU, which stops only when I delete the file. It doesn’t matter how many times I restore it from quarantine, NIS 2010 hates it. As stated in my earlier post, it’s only the most recent nightlies, after r3323… has something changed?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

El Viejo wrote:
Apologies for returning to this, but the recent trunk nightly builds really freak my Nortons out. I just tried to run r3388. It can’t detect anything bad in the downloaded binary, but as soon as I run the .exe, it insists on quarantining the file, then goes into a flurry of background activity, using over fifty per cent CPU, which stops only when I delete the file. It doesn’t matter how many times I restore it from quarantine, NIS 2010 hates it. As stated in my earlier post, it’s only the most recent nightlies, after r3323… has something changed?
Whatever might have changed, it is nothing malicious or otherwise dangerous. Re-checked with McAfee and latest DATs both r3388 installer and installation image and no detections have been reported. Norton is wrong.
Cody

Post by Cody »

I know that Norton is wrong, a_c... I just can't figure why it freaks out.

For the record, Norton Safe Web gives oolite.org a full quota of green ticks... it likes the website.