Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Scanner Blebs

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Killer Wolf wrote:
anyways, that station is binned now so i'm not wasting any more time on it, i was only posting cos i thought my scanner was knackered!
Nooo :(

That station looked pleasurably weird - something new. Don't throw it away, center the thing and throw it our way! :lol:

8)

L
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Killer Wolf wrote:
that's interesting ~ i simply couldn't dock until i put my dockslot at the origin.
There could be another reason: We have established at some point since you created the Anarchies asteroids that the shipdata entries of docks have to start with "dock", in order to be recognized as a docking bay. So instead of for instance "anarchies-hacker-dock" the entry should be named "dock-anarchies-hacker". Try what that does.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

was trying to find my dock notes about origins etc, must be stored somewhere special, but this thread
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t= ... =dock+slot
is one of the ones that started the whole Origin-for-docks thing i think, there's another thread somewhere too i think, regarding the Galactica model.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Killer Wolf wrote:
that's interesting ~ i simply couldn't dock until i put my dockslot at the origin.
my memory is a bit foggy, but i'm sure i had a problem like this around about the time i was making the blackmonk monestary & the seedy spacebar, if the dock subentity was placed with a z axis position of more than +- 500 units or so, you had really crazy problems docking such as flying through the back wall of the dock and into the inside of the main station model until you got near the centerpoint and then you docked.
I might still have some of these problem stations on my pc, i'll load them into oolite and see if things got fixed, this was all a long time ago and i remember the devs put a lot of work into fixing station subentity stuff as there used to be problems with station subentites not rotating properly when turrets were added - all this got fixed
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Watch your station with bounding boxes enabled. The place Oolite recognizes as docking bay is marked by a purple (I think) box within the blue box of your station. The question is: does the purple box exactly overlay with the blue box of your dock subentity? If it doesn't, you've got a problem. And it is probably solvable with renaming your dock subentity in a way that its name starts with "dock".

Oh, and if I'm not mistaken, it also has to be the first entry in the mother's subentities-array.
Draco_Caeles
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Draco_Caeles »

Ahruman wrote:
It also reduces the amount of collision testing that needs to be done, and improves the resolution of collision testing when it is done. (Try enabling octree display – “console.debugFlags ^= 0x80” in the JS console – with both versions of the TransHab.)
... okay, okay, so my TransHab sucks focussing coils. It was my first space station, what do you expect?
Space Corps Directive #7214
To perserve morale during long-haul missions, all male officers above the rank of First Technician must, during panto season, be ready to put on a dress and a pair of false breasts.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Clarification on docks: to be recognised as a dock, a subentity must have “dock” in its name (lowercase), and not be a turret. Alternatively, if you use the new dictionary-based subentity definitions in 1.73 or later (hmm, have I documented those?) the is_dock key must be set – the Coriolis uses this form in 1.73. There is nothing special about the first subentity, but if there are multiple entities recognised as docks, the last one will be used.

Hello, Draco.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

Commander McLane wrote:
Watch your station with bounding boxes enabled. The place Oolite recognizes as docking bay is marked by a purple (I think) box within the blue box of your station. The question is: does the purple box exactly overlay with the blue box of your dock subentity? If it doesn't, you've got a problem. And it is probably solvable with renaming your dock subentity in a way that its name starts with "dock".

Oh, and if I'm not mistaken, it also has to be the first entry in the mother's subentities-array.
it looks okay, but i've just noticed when i launch out again i'm upside down. oops :-D

how'd you turn off the bounding boxes? i thought the x would toggle but it doesn't :-/
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

n ! :)

PS: you need to be paused and in flight for n to work.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

cheers Kaks.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Dock things.

Post by Killer Wolf »

So given the above, am i right in thinking i can create my own dock slit simply by creating an open-box entity and giving it the dock name and is_dock attribute? i'm finding the dark_metal texture too dark and want to create my own docking bay using Griff's shaders.

cheers
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

oh well, in lieu of anybody answering, i gave it a shot and i can't get it to work.

i modelled a box in position, and added it as a subent using the normal

"nuit-dock 0 0 0 1 0 0 0",
entry to keep it in position. i put the "is_dock" attribute in the subent's def. when i view w/ bounding boxes, the dock is at the origin of the model.

after looking at how the Coriolis is defined, i've amended my def to :-

subentities = (
{
subentity_key = "nuit-dock";
orientation = ( 0, 0, 0, 1);
position = ( 0 0 0 );
is_dock = true;
},

the box model appears at the *bottom* of the model, way way outta place, and the bounding box dock is still at origin.
i've just tried changing those position values to equal the position the box appears in the model, and the goddamn box now appears at the origin and the bounding box is at the bottom of the model - ie, they've switched places.

help please, i'm totally lost here :-(

using 1.73.4 btw
Last edited by Killer Wolf on Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Position number entries should be comma separated, same as orientation ones are (look again at the Coriolis). Hence effectively your entry doesn't have a valid position, which is probably why things are going awry.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

sorry, no that was my typing, i pasted in the amended entry and changed it for my earlier example.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

OK. Next question, is your new sub-entity centred in its design (in Wings3D or whatever)? Basically the sub-ent's 0,0,0 position (as defined in it's wing model) is put at whatever position you set in the sub-ent.

So for example if your model is a sphere around position 0,0,500 and you add it using the sub-ent key above (at position 0,0,0) you will end up with it appearing at position 0,0,500 relative to the model (if you also set it to rotate in the XY plane for example, it will orbit the main model).

If it's going to save your sanity either post the full plists here or put it somewhere I can download it and I'll take a look at it for you when I can find a bit of time.