Personalities.oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

I should PM you my custom skin for my neolite PCC...
Commander Monty, a Python Class Cruiser driver :D
Iron assed bulk haulers for the win!

Of the two trumbles which escaped today from Lave station, only 473 have been located....
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

Is there any chance you can ammend the script so that people don't turn up and make you an outlaw automagically for defending yourself against Kaks??? It's a pain in the neck to be attacked by him, and then be declared an outlaw for killing an outlaw...

Of the two trumbles which escaped today from Lave station, only 473 have been located....
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

On behalf of my alter ego, apologies to all commanders! :)
Thing is, I do play a clean-ish game and as such I'm normally not an offender...
Maybe my twin is more trigger-happy than me, and attacks indiscriminately, but I thought he'd only want to attack 'unclean' ships, same as me...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Loxley
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Loxley »

Kaks wrote:
On behalf of my alter ego, apologies to all commanders! :)
Thing is, I do play a clean-ish game and as such I'm normally not an offender...
Maybe my twin is more trigger-happy than me, and attacks indiscriminately, but I thought he'd only want to attack 'unclean' ships, same as me...
Sorry to say he'll pretty much go after anyone, after checking for the cops naturally. :wink:
"There is still much music to be written in C major" Stravinsky
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Oh dear, there goes the neighbourhood! :)

Bad Kaks! <thwup> Baaad Kaks! :P
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Funny, I get along with him just fine. Met him multiple times without even a polite shooting.
On the other hand, Commander McLane snaps cargo pods right under my nose :D
Loxley
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Loxley »

Corny wrote:
Funny, I get along with him just fine. Met him multiple times without even a polite shooting.
On the other hand, Commander McLane snaps cargo pods right under my nose :D
I think he has a fairly low probability to target clean ships, but hang around him long enough when nothing else is on scanner and he'll soon get bored.
"There is still much music to be written in C major" Stravinsky
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Loxley wrote:
he'll soon get bored.
Fair do's, that does sound vaguely familiar! :D
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

yeah, it *IS* very familiar, especially on board the Montezuma's Revenge-2... Along with the worries that once he does get bored, he'll be both a pain in the neck to.. urm... inhume... and also someone will show up later and outlaw me for doing it...

Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

One thing that could be done inside the oxp is to make Kaks (& others) an offender - from within the script - at the time he decides to attack a clean ship.
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

As far as I can see, it's a feature of the OXP, where if you take out a named member of the forums, no matter what the circumstances (including our dear fugitive rated furry feline), then someone will show up, and slap you round the face with an offender tag. Not helpful when you just launched from a military station surrounded by frigates...

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Kaks (as some other personalities, for instance my own) is a privateer, which means that he will occasionally attack harmless traders.

However, the probability that he will do so is fairly low. You can reduce it further by opening the shipdata.plist inside Personalities.oxp, finding the entry for personalities-kaks, go to the script_info directory within that entry, and change the value of attackProbability. It is already only 0.15, but you can reduce it further.

It works like this: about every ten seconds the ship scans for other ships in the vicinity and evaluates what to do. With a probability of 15% it will attack one of the other ships within its scanner radius, if there are any. With the other 85% it will just continue its journey.

But of course the next scan and evaluation happens ten seconds later. So if you fly alongside him for long enough, eventually he will attack. By reducing the probability further, you can extend the average period until he attacks.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

But of course the next scan and evaluation happens ten seconds later. So if you fly alongside him for long enough, eventually he will attack. By reducing the probability further, you can extend the average period until he attacks.
Doesn't this only become true if you fly along for an infinite amount of time? (and if random numbers on a PC were indeed truly random) :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
goran
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by goran »

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Doesn't this only become true if you fly along for an infinite amount of time? (and if random numbers on a PC were indeed truly random) :wink:
And even then, it would only be almost certain.