boulderdash

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

The price of minerals makes a mining laser redundant :p

Even with the ore processor and one side mounted mining laser, I never mine, its not worth the hassle.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
I've done it many times in my Griff Cobra 3. Well, I'll ram boulders, not full-on asteroids...
You can also turn asteroids in deadly weapons. I just played with one. Gently hitting him on one side with your ships nose so it starts to move. Increase your own speed and hit again. When you don't hit it to hard, neither will suffer from the impact.

This way I increased an asteroids speed up to the max speed of my boa mk2. After that I did one last gentle push with injectors on. The asteroid now got a speed of up to 400! A deadly weapon to severe damage a station.

(Was that the origin of that killer asteroid in asteroid_storm.oxp)

After that i tried a second push on injectors. Very difficult now to give it a gentle push at this high speeds as you have to release injectors just in time before contact. contact was hard when i finally touched. Asteroid blown away and also my shields and 7 of my 8 energy banks. (I am still shaking...)
zoggie
Above Average
Above Average

Post by zoggie »

:( please dont ram asteroids they`re a bit big ... kaboom boulders any speed ya like :wink:
lost in space, what space ? witchspace!!
zoggie
Above Average
Above Average

Post by zoggie »

something in excess of 30 tonnes its money for old rope ! if ya lucky gems and plat and gold to be got too ... its a fair wack :wink:
lost in space, what space ? witchspace!!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Eric Walch wrote:
Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
I've done it many times in my Griff Cobra 3. Well, I'll ram boulders, not full-on asteroids...
You can also turn asteroids in deadly weapons. I just played with one. Gently hitting him on one side with your ships nose so it starts to move. Increase your own speed and hit again. When you don't hit it to hard, neither will suffer from the impact.

This way I increased an asteroids speed up to the max speed of my boa mk2. After that I did one last gentle push with injectors on. The asteroid now got a speed of up to 400! A deadly weapon to severe damage a station.
How do you aim it? :twisted:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied