Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ...

Post by Selezen »

Lestradae wrote:
(To be clear about this: In the latest OSE test version published the original ships with Sung's textures, Griff's ships and Simon's ships happily exist side by side already)
Are you going to let Simon and Griff know about the changes you made so they can add them to their OXPs to improve their compatibility with each other?
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

The changes I made to both versions are pretty simple. I renamed the ship keys to Simon's ships to "<key>Simon-"originalShipKey"</key>".

So Griff's ships are still successfully like_ship'ped from the original Oolite vanilla ships, Simon's ships still appear as they should (renamed the shipyard.plists accordingly also!), and the "vanilla version" with Sung's textures also still works.

Otherwise, the stats are the same, so that i.e. in the case of a Boa the Vanilla Boa, Neolite Boa and Griff Boa, these "three" ships appear with the same stats and behaviour etc. as NPCs and also player versions in the shipyard, effectively the same ship (Boa) but in three different design variants (or so would my storytellium explanation go).

Hope that helps?

8)

L

PS: For the record, I tweaked the speed of all three Fer-de-Lance versions up to 0.6LS in OSE. I always admired these ships in C64 Elite as being enormously fast, wizzing by and all over me in the case of pirates - and want to recapture that feel of the FdL in OSE. And - imho - they look pretty impressive if they come at you with injectors now :twisted:
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Griff wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
But I want a 50/50 chance of either a Simon B ship or a Griff ship in the game :cry: Since both are gorgeous in their own special ways... :(
This can be done, Simon will need to re-name the ships in the neo-oolite oxp's first though, he's using the method of replacing the default ships set with neo-oolite versions by giving the neo-oolite ships the same name as the native ones to overwrite their settings.
If neo-oolite adopts this method to stop the native ships appearing in-game both oxp's will work together.
This method of disabling the internal ships is a much more compatible way to replace the ships.
- When you overwrite them, there can only be one oxp that does it. With two, the last one that loads overwrites all previous.
- When you disable the internal ships selectively, it does not matter if only one of many oxps disable them, the result will be the same and all replacements stay in game.

So for compatibility between oxps, I think the second method is the way we should follow.

The only problem will stay the spinning cobra III. This default player ship can only be replaced by overwriting. But that is bearable and the player can still choose this ship by renaming the oxp so his preferred ship loads last.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Re: ...

Post by Griff »

Lestradae wrote:
I tweaked the speed of all three Fer-de-Lance versions up to 0.6LS in OSE. I always admired these ships in C64 Elite as being enormously fast, wizzing by and all over me in the case of pirates - and want to recapture that feel of the FdL in OSE. And - imho - they look pretty impressive if they come at you with injectors now
Is there anything that can be done about the fer-de-lance's tendency to ram the player all the time? or is it just me? I've been meeting a lot of fer-de-lances recently whilst testing these oxp's and getting into a scrap with one makes my heart sink because i know it's just going to fly straight into me as i try and line up a shot
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

yes, I've noticed that too. Seems an odd attitude to have considering the ship is considered something of a luxury class.

Maybe there are parallels between Fer-de-Lance and BMW drivers. :D
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Hm, the Fer-de-Lance's don't ram me in the game. Come to think of it, being rammed head-on by ships generally seemed to happen a lot back in the Oolite 1.6X days to me, but not any more since somewhere in the 1.7X regime ... I assumed that these were old AI troubles that got resolved by Eric's fixes :?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I'm still getting rammed occasionly; usually it's the last ship left of a group I've just wiped out; my shields are low, laser's overheated and I'm a little battle weary. The best ploy is to turn tail, run hard and pick it off with the aft laser.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Eric Walch

Re: ..

Post by Eric Walch »

Lestradae wrote:
Hm, the Fer-de-Lance's don't ram me in the game. Come to think of it, being rammed head-on by ships generally seemed to happen a lot back in the Oolite 1.6X days to me, but not any more since somewhere in the 1.7X regime ... I assumed that these were old AI troubles that got resolved by Eric's fixes :?
I also never had problems with Fer-de-Lance's on this point. Only an occasional krait rammed me into death. However, this is not handled by AI and should still be as it always was. I think none of the attack coded is programmed to ram the player although some ships attacking on injector speed have just to little time to pull up in last second.

But this last second stuff is influenced by FPS, so on faster computers you are a bit more secure. And maybe current oolite has a higher frame-rate than 1.65? Or have we just bought faster computers the past year :?:
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

yeah, i'm just being overly sensitive, it's not all fer-de-lances, just the ones using injectors that seem to ram me, you see them try to make a correction at the very last second but it's usually too late by then to avoid a collision. it's a bit like being a goalkeeper trying to save a penalty kick, which way do i dive!!?
i'll have to go back to lave academy and get some more combat training in on the simulators, maybe Thargoid could add a new training course, fer-de-lance avoidance training :D
Cody

Post by Cody »

The other ploy is to come to a complete halt: become a stationary weapons platform and don't try to avoid the rammer. This can also bring side lasers into effective use.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Griff

Are you planning to complete the set (i.e. Dodec and Icos Stations and the Python).
I’d happily make that my standard ship set. Actually, I’d make it the standard ship set for Oolite, period.

That splashscreen A_C put together looks terrific on full screen.

For the purist in me I have Strict Gameplay, which should always keep the old-style ships.
I still play in this mode, occasionly. It's still good after all this time.

Regards
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

i'm hoping to do the full set, but it will take ages! i don't think i'm even halfway done yet, but i'm determined to plod on. i thought i'd try a big ship next so i've started working on a python remake.
The great thing about using shipdata-override.plist to stop the native ships appearing is that in strict mode you'll still see the native ships because (i think i'm right on this) strict mode doesn't load any oxps so it shouldn't see my oxp's shipdata-override file attempting to change the roles of the native ships, uh, i don't think i explained that very clearly!
Cody

Post by Cody »

Strangely enough, that all makes perfect sense.

Cheers!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Griff wrote:
The great thing about using shipdata-override.plist to stop the native ships appearing is that in strict mode you'll still see the native ships because (i think i'm right on this) strict mode doesn't load any oxps so it shouldn't see my oxp's shipdata-override file attempting to change the roles of the native ships, uh, i don't think i explained that very clearly!
You’ll see the built-in ships in strict mode no matter what method you use in OXPs to override them. (Note: strict mode is broken in several ways in 1.73 and, well, most of the test releases, but fixed for 1.74.)
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

for the shipdata.overrides.plist has anybody got a suggestion of what role to use, at the moment i've got this sort of stuff

Code: Select all

"cobra3-alternate" =
   { 
   roles = "dont_use_me"; 
   };    

"cobra3-pirate" =
   { 
   roles = "dont_use_me"; 
   };
that 'dont_use_me' role sounds a bit naff, is there anything better?