Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Griff - will these ships replace those in the neolite OXPs (which do replace the default ships) or will these ships appear alongside them as well?
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

no, they shouldn't replace any of the built in ships or any ships from any other oxp's, i've been careful to start every file in the oxps with 'griff_' so there shouldn't be any mixups, you'll just happen across the ships occasionally whenever Oolite conjures up a pirate or a trader etc to populate the Ooniverse.
dalek501
Deadly
Deadly

Post by dalek501 »

If I wanted to replace the original set is it just a case of renaming them to match the original names?

Great ships BTW!! :D
dalek501
Deadly
Deadly

Post by dalek501 »

Sorry I really dont know whats happened there!? :oops:

Perhaps someone could delete all but one of those!

Ah.... cheers!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

dalek501 wrote:
Sorry I really dont know whats happened there!? :oops:

Perhaps someone could delete all but one of those!
Yes, and that "someone" is nobody else but YOU. Just use the handy "delete" button (looks like an "X" in a box) in the top right corner of your last post. :wink:

NOTE: The delete button disappears as soon a somebody else posts after you. So for the time being I can still delete this very post, but you cannot delete yours anymore. Still, if you immediately recognize a double/triple/quadruple/quintuple post, you can immediatly get rid of the extra posts yourself, without calling for an admin.
dalek501
Deadly
Deadly

Post by dalek501 »

Ah thats why I didnt see it then.

I'd already asked for someone to delete them so presumably the button had gone? Ah well, I shall know in future! :lol:
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

dalek501 wrote:
If I wanted to replace the original set is it just a case of renaming them to match the original names?
I'm not sure how to do this, would an oxp that only contained a shipdata.plist in it that duplicated the names of all the native ships you didn't want to appear, with all their roles set to something that would never get called work? eg:

Code: Select all

{
"adder" =
	{
	model = "adder_redux.dat";
	name = "Adder";
	roles = "dont_use_me";
	};

"cobra3-alternate"	
	{
	model = "cobra3_redux.dat";
	name = "Adder";
	roles = "dont_use_me";
	};	

"cobra3-pirate"
	{
	name = "Adder";
	roles = "dont_use_me";
	};

"cobra3-pirate"
	{
	name = "Adder";
	roles = "dont_use_me";
	};	
}
would that stop the built in adder & cobra III's ever getting used? - not sure how friendly this would be to other oxp's though
Last edited by Griff on Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

hfhf

Post by Lestradae »

This would work. You could go even further and use the shipdata-overrides.plist.

But.

If Ahruman's theory that people will never, ever read installation manuals is correct (and I am afraid it might be) then doing it like this might lead to people accidentally letting their oxps play civil war against each other. It could easily make oxps completely incompatible with each other.

So my 0.2Cr would be, if you do it like that, make sure that this is an "this oxp is incompatible with XYZ" written in big letters into the read me etc. ...

Cheers

L
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

As well as adding the readme stuff, you could try and detect the existence of the other oxp, and if found write a warning on the screen at startup:

'XYZ.oxp and MyOwn.oxp incompatible, disabled Incompatible Bits' That would be 'slightly' hard to miss!

Btw, I might be putting the cat amongst the pigeons here, but you can already kind-of detect non-script oxps too: if a ship in the other oxp has a unique role, you can always try to create the ship, look for the ship by that role, and - if found - you can then remove it and/or do whatever special jiggery-pokery you need to...

Of course, if two or more scriptless oxps share that 'unique' role, this kind of detection becomes more or less useless...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Griff wrote:
dalek501 wrote:
I'm not sure how to do this, would an oxp that only contained a shipdata.plist in it that duplicated the names of all the native ships you didn't want to appear, with all their roles set to something that would never get called work? eg:...would that stop the built in adder & cobra III's ever getting used? - not sure how friendly this would be to other oxp's though
It would work, but is likely to lead to big incompatibilities when you have oxps installed that use a like_ship of the original. You now remove all the relevant other information. Better use the shipdata-overrides.plist as lestradae writes. I never used it but I think it only overwrites the listed entries and not everything. In that case only the role needs to be changed and any oxp using a like_ship will add its own role back.

Code: Select all

{ 
"adder" = 
   { 
   roles = "dont_use_me"; 
   }; 

"cobra3-alternate"    
   { 
   roles = "dont_use_me"; 
   };    

"cobra3-pirate" 
   { 
   roles = "dont_use_me"; 
   }; 

"cobra3-pirate" 
   { 
   roles = "dont_use_me"; 
   };    
} 
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Kaks wrote:
As well as adding the readme stuff, you could try and detect the existence of the other oxp, and if found write a warning on the screen at startup:

'XYZ.oxp and MyOwn.oxp incompatible, disabled Incompatible Bits' That would be 'slightly' hard to miss!
Depends! I for one usually start Oolite by double-clicking on my latest save-game. Thereby I load my commander instantly and never even get to see the start-up screen.

I wonder whether there are other players around with this habit... :?:
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

On the plus (?) side, you can't double-click save games in windows (don't think you can do that in linux either) because oolite would get confused about the resources & addons locations...

Still, I think the reset event is fired after you load a commander. Maybe putting a warning there too would probably be noticed... :twisted:
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

There I was, having just forced a mis-jump into Witchspace, surrounded by Thargoids and intending to cause mayhem, and I got so caught-up in looking at Griff’s ships that I nearly had my fundament handed to me. It’s almost a shame to destroy them. Almost!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cody

Post by Cody »

Griff

Just tried to buy one of these ships. Bought a Krait, no problem, but when I tried to buy a Cobra Mk III (less scuffed) it scrambled my display and locked it.
I had to crash the game to exit.
Tried it twice - same result.

I'll try the others as and when they become available in game.

Regards
Cody

Post by Cody »

This is the Latest.log error message:

[dataCache.willWrite]: About to write data cache.
[dataCache.write.success]: Wrote data cache.
[dataCache.willWrite]: About to write data cache.
[dataCache.write.success]: Wrote data cache.
[exception]: ***** Exception: NSRangeException : Index 0 is out of range 0 (in 'objectAtIndex:') *****
[gnustep]: 2009-09-07 17:36:51.203 oolite[3764] *** NSTimer ignoring exception 'NSRangeException' (reason 'Index 0 is out of range 0 (in 'objectAtIndex:')') raised during posting of timer with target 0x10c71b8 and selector 'performGameTick:'

[gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.