Pirate Coves

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Pirate Coves

Post by phkb »

UK_Eliter wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:12 pm
Also, I should check whether the new version of Pirate Coves continues to work with my 'Harder Hermits' OXP.
Based on a quick glance through the code, no, I don't think there's any immediate conflicts. The biggest change from your code's perspective is that the spawning routines have moved from "shipExitedWitchspace" to "systemWillPopulate". But that change shouldn't impact on what you're doing: by the time "shipExitedWitchspace" fires, all the populator routines will have run, so any Pirate Coves that are going to spawn will have done so.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

'There is Ascension - introduced by Famous Planets.' Ooh, I want to go there, if only to tell the inhabitants: 'Look, there really is not what Proudhon et al had in mind!'
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

UK_Eliter wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:43 pm
'There is Ascension - introduced by Famous Planets.' Ooh, I want to go there, if only to tell the inhabitants: 'Look, there really is not what Proudhon et al had in mind!'
Hull University Press produced a top notch academic series on "Modern Ideologies" back in the 1980s. Back before political correctness reduced everything to drivel. The ones on Conservatism, Fascism & Anarchism were really top notch. Especially Fascism which did an excellent job of explaining why anybody with half a brain cell in the 1930s might become a fascist. The academic "picture" has been clouded by various ideologies (liberal/marxist) which insisted on interpreting fascism through their own prejudices and making it an incoherent mess which only a moron would espouse. But too many real 1930s fascists were anything but morons.
But the one on Anarchism had a chapter on Real Anarchies - which were anarchic communities which ended up shrinking each time there was a disagreement and then becoming just a single family living on its tod. Quite fascinating! Also had chapters on anarcho-syndicalism and anarcho-capitalism. Well worth a peek if you are into that sort of thing.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

> The academic "picture" has been clouded by various ideologies (liberal/marxist) which insisted on interpreting fascism through their own prejudices and making it an incoherent mess which only a moron would espouse. But too many real 1930s fascists were anything but morons.

I lack a lot of the relevant scholarly knowledge, but I am confident that one need not be especially clever to recognise the badness of Fascism's authoritarianism and scapegoating.

But @another_commander, @winston [can one tag people in this way?], please move this political stuff - which, actually, I'm unsure I wish to continue with! - to a more appropriate subforum.