Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Federation Star Ships

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Jagen Ordo wrote:
Thanks for the advise.
What roles should this ship have, then?
I just ask because I don't really know much about it.
Oolite has no real role that suits big ships. But you can use it in combination with bigShips.oxp. Install that oxp and give your ship the role of bigTader. In that case that oxp will take care of the addition.
As AI you can use the route1PatrolAI or the AI that is used in the bigShip.oxp.
Looking at the wiki I noticed it is nowhere mentioned. However, it is included in the aquatics.oxp from thargoid. There you also find the documentation for it. Thargoid and I wrote that thing to add big ships that can't dock, without a risk of overpopulating systems with big ships.
Jagen Ordo
Competent
Competent

Post by Jagen Ordo »

Added to list: NX-class cruiser.
Well, this one will be relatively easy.
And I hope folks don't mind me using my own registry numbers and names.
Like for this Constitution, it reads "USS Bismarck NCC-1941"
Hey, if TNG can have the Hood, why not this?

Note: I know that NCC-1941 was the registry of the Bozeman, but honestly I don't care.
Hello. We come in peace, shoot to kill, shoot to kill, shoot to kill;
we come in peace, shoot to kill, shoot to kill, men.
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

Do we need to add a wiki page for "useful scripts in OXPs that can and should be re-used in other OXPs?"

Are there other examples apart from the bigTrader stuff? (Which I knew about but I think only found out from gossip on here :-) )
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Eric Walch wrote:
Looking at the wiki I noticed it is nowhere mentioned. However, it is included in the aquatics.oxp from thargoid. There you also find the documentation for it. Thargoid and I wrote that thing to add big ships that can't dock, without a risk of overpopulating systems with big ships.
It has it's own wiki page (here), linked off of my wiki page. It may be that I omitted to link it into the main OXP page etc though, will check that this evening and modify as needed.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Thargoid wrote:
It has it's own wiki page (here),
You are right. I did a search on "bigShips" in the wiki search field but it failed to find that page. I fail to see how that search should be used as it fails to find anything when i type one of the keywords of that page :roll:

I can't search, It does find it, Only on top of the page it writes no matches on title.
Last edited by Eric Walch on Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Jagen Ordo wrote:
Note: I know that NCC-1941 was the registry of the Bozeman, but honestly I don't care.
And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is why Star Trek is such a mess! Because no-one cares!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Selezen wrote:
Jagen Ordo wrote:
And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is why Star Trek is such a mess! Because no-one cares!
I care, but I seem to be a voice lost in the wilderness!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Jagen Ordo
Competent
Competent

Post by Jagen Ordo »

Well, normally I care very much, but seeing as I already made a paper model with that registry, and found out about the Bozeman weeks later, I flipped it off.
Also, did anybody see the Bozeman's registry? Is is mentioned anytime?
Thougth so.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Jagen Ordo wrote:
Well, normally I care very much, but seeing as I already made a paper model with that registry, and found out about the Bozeman weeks later, I flipped it off.
Also, did anybody see the Bozeman's registry? Is is mentioned anytime?
Thougth so.

If I get chance, I'll check the DVD tonight to see whether you can actually see the registry - http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/USS_Bozeman - if it's in the series then it's canon... :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Never mess with a trekkie.

You like paper models, huh? Hmm. We must talk...
Jagen Ordo
Competent
Competent

Post by Jagen Ordo »

Ah, so it is visible.
Oh, well. As far as I know, they planned to make the Bozeman as a Constitution class, but refitted the Miranda instead. That refit was known as Soyuz-class.
Dumbasses, the lot of them.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Jagen Ordo wrote:
Ah, so it is visible.
Oh, well. As far as I know, they planned to make the Bozeman as a Constitution class, but refitted the Miranda instead. That refit was known as Soyuz-class.
Dumbasses, the lot of them.
My 2 cts

Don't get me wrong I like Star Trek ships very much but in their own universe. In the past other OXP makers merged Star Wars Ships and Star Trek Ships into the Ooniverse which dind't really fit. Well it's a matter of taste of course..

A little suggestion on how you can let your ships merge better within the rich Ooniverse

When you do a Oolite version why not make a localized version of a shipt in such a way that the ship is more in place in the Oolite Universe. This can be done by simply changing the class names to classes that resemble places or planets in the Ooniverse

For example: Norway class= Lave class

Maybe give it another colour or marking and then you get a Ooniverse ship.

And when your oxp is done a nice background story on how these ships appeared in the Ooniverse

But do continue the project please. It's always nice to see people making ships :D
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

I always class these as ships that inhabitants of the Ooniverse have designed or created as "kits" for existing ships. Much in the same way that we currently build Lambourghinis out of old VW Polos, the same market would apply for building an Enterprise out of a Cobra Mk III.

Scratch built kit ships. Fan boys who have heard of Star Trek and Star Wars as ancient entertainment ships from the legendary 20th century "telly-vision" concept. Put them together and you have a completely justified reason for trek and SW ships to exist in Oolite. Maybe some factory somewhere is churning them out.

;-)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I agree that this is the only halfway sensible explanation for their existence (although it doesn't explain why no imagined ships from previous periods are available as kits; like anything from Jules Verne or so).

However, I still can't imagine a Cobra III-to-Constitution-Kit. That wouldn't be like VW Polo-to-Lamborghini, but more like Cessna-to-A380. :shock:

It simply wouldn't work, unless the Constitution was the size of a Cobbie. But as far as I understand, neither Charlie's model nor the one Jagen Ordo is working at now are even nearly that size.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Commander McLane wrote:
I agree that this is the only halfway sensible explanation for their existence (although it doesn't explain why no imagined ships from previous periods are available as kits; like anything from Jules Verne or so).
A Jules Verne oxp seems like the solution to this idea... sounds like fun, too! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied