Oolite Keymapper

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Re: Beyond the mapper...

Post by maik »

Welcome to the most friendly (this side of Riedquat at least) boards!
GrinNoCat wrote:
Ok, I have looked through the forums and done a number of searches and I cannot find anyway to map some of the command functions to alternate keys so I am asking for help. Yes, I am on a mac and posting in the mac section!
Did you find the Wiki yet? There is lots of useful information there. The section about keyboard controls in the Reference Manual also explains a few things about keycodes. Setup using the numeric keypad should be possible.
GrinNoCat wrote:
I would also like to shift the doc menu keys to their actual F-Key so that they match the graphics
I believe that this depends on your keyboard setup. In your Mac's system preferences you can configure the F-keys to behave like F-keys for applications or to control music, brightness, etc. I have mine setup as controls, so I have to press Fn-F6 instead of F6 if I want to see the map screen.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I seem to remember from other threads that mapping the numeric keypad is not possible. Some keys will be treated as identical to certain keys on the main keyboard, while other keys won't be accessible at all.

However, I could be wrong with that.

One easy test would be to run the keymapper, just press all keys from the numeric pad consecutively for the first actions, and examine the resulting keyconfig.plist. That will tell you the numerical values of the keys you've pressed, and from there you can find out whether there are any numbers which appear on the main board as well.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Commander McLane wrote:
I seem to remember from other threads that mapping the numeric keypad is not possible. Some keys will be treated as identical to certain keys on the main keyboard, while other keys won't be accessible at all.

However, I could be wrong with that.

One easy test would be to run the keymapper, just press all keys from the numeric pad consecutively for the first actions, and examine the resulting keyconfig.plist. That will tell you the numerical values of the keys you've pressed, and from there you can find out whether there are any numbers which appear on the main board as well.
I think this is true Cmdr M because I seem to recall that a screenshot is taken with SHIFT+8 (*) but the '*' on the numeric keyboard doesn't work...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I think this is true Cmdr M because I seem to recall that a screenshot is taken with SHIFT+8 (*) but the '*' on the numeric keyboard doesn't work...
But isn't that because the key mapping works from the physical keyboard layout and not from the logical key assignment? This is actually a question, I really don't know how it works in Oolite...
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

maik wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
But isn't that because the key mapping works from the physical keyboard layout and not from the logical key assignment? This is actually a question, I really don't know how it works in Oolite...
I think keyboard mapping is very complicated - I think your answer is correct, at least in part!
Selezen wrote:
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by maik »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
maik wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
I think keyboard mapping is very complicated - I think your answer is correct, at least in part!
Depending on which part is correct ;-) it could mean that you can assign different actions to e.g. shift-8 and keypad-*. And thus also assign other functions to the numeric keypad as requested above... In short: You'll have to try it out, GrinNoCat. And please post your findings. :)
GrinNoCat
Poor
Poor

Post by GrinNoCat »

I tried it before I posted and there is no difference (on the Mac) between 1 and Num 1, the both register the same value and it totally prevents play when you try to map to the num keypad.

Additionally my F keys are set to the normal Mac functions, I have to press Fn to control brightness, and they do not move between areas in the dock. I have to use the number keys across the top.

I had also read the wiki prior to posting and that was part of why I was able to mess around with it so much.

I have a couple of specialized keyboard and keypads, I will do a little more experimenting to see if anything else comes up.

So far though it looks like the only commands that can be mapped are the ones in the plist.
If you take the cat away from the grin you are simply left with a :) .
What?!? Of course all cats are :twisted: ! What a stupid question. :P
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

GrinNoCat wrote:
So far though it looks like the only commands that can be mapped are the ones in the plist.
Well, yes. Because the commands in the plist are all the commands which exist in Oolite. There are no others.

What else would you want to map in Oolite anyway? :?:
GrinNoCat
Poor
Poor

Post by GrinNoCat »

As I said in previous posts, it may be beneficial to map forward, left, right and rear views to other keys, etc.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

GrinNoCat wrote:
As I said in previous posts, it may be beneficial to map forward, left, right and rear views to other keys, etc.
Ah, okay; hadn't seen that.

No, AFAIK those are hardcoded to the number keys (note: we usually refer to them as if they were function keys, e.g. the market is referred to as F8, although in reality it is simply 8 ) and cannot be changed.

EDIT: corrected false emoticon into a number eight and a closing parenthesis ( :evil: auto-emoticons)
Last edited by Commander McLane on Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Commander McLane wrote:
GrinNoCat wrote:
Ah, okay; hadn't seen that.

No, AFAIK those are hardcoded to the number keys (note: we usually refer to them as if they were function keys, e.g. the market is referred to as F8, although in reality it is simply 8) and cannot be changed.
Damn those emoticons eh? :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Damn those emoticons eh? :wink:
Do you mean the 8 ?
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Cmdr M tried to do an 8 followed by a ) and of course 8 + ) = 8)
Selezen wrote:
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

That's one of the reasons I have 'smilies' disabled.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
GrinNoCat
Poor
Poor

Post by GrinNoCat »

Thanks guys. Some of us just want our cake and to eat it too - we should just be happy to be able to play. At least we can do something instead of sitting around and reminiscing about the good old days!