Oolite Keymapper

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Greyman
Dangerous
Dangerous

Oolite Keymapper

Post by Greyman »

Recently there was a discussion about some keys not working on international keyboard layouts. So I had the idea to update the Oolite keymapper. Cap'n Hack - the original author - was so kind as to give me access to his work.

Well, I just added those keys that were introduced since version 1.65 and it seems to work on my Macbook and Oolite 1.72.2. Maybe someone is willing to try this and give some feedback. It should be a bit of a help to new players.

Get it here:
http://www.box.net/shared/zuchq02ix3

It's just a quick update. Maybe in time I will try to give this baby a nice user interface - but my programming skills are somewhat limited.

I guess it is safe to say that the source code (REALbasic) is also available through me if someone is interested.

*EDIT*
edited new download location
Last edited by Greyman on Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Hey! Good job! :D

Didn't test the new version, but I know the keymapper was one of those niceties from way before 1.65;

God, I sound old...
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Nice! Plus there's a free linux version of REALbasic for open source projects, hopefully the new keymapper will show up that platform too! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Greyman
Dangerous
Dangerous

Keymapper for Linux

Post by Greyman »

As I don't have access to a Linux computer anymore I would appreciate it if somebody was willing to compile the source code for that OS. My REALbasic only works for Mac OS X (I think it's called Personal Edition).

As I understand it, REALbasic's big advantage is the possibility to compile any project cross-platform for the three major OS. If there is someone out there with REALbasic on Linux ond Windows I'll be glad to share the code.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

First of all thanks for the good work, Greyman! :D

May I come forward with a final request? The keymapper that came with 1.65 had a version-number, 1.40, it was actually called "Oolite Keymapperv1.40". It would be nice to increase the number to indicate your changes.

It also came with a Readme. So it would be nice if you could amend that as well, together with increasing the version number to something of your choice (probably 1.72.2.1, so that everybody knows at once which version of Oolite it is good for).

Just in case you don't have it, here's the content of the Readme so far:
Oolite Keymapper v1.4

This utility will automatically generate a key config file for Oolite in the same folder as this document. Open the utility and follow the simple instructions to set up the file, and then simply copy it into the AddOns folder in the same folder as Oolite. Then its just a matter of opening the game and using your new key setup :)
Note: to set your controls back to the defaults, simply delete the keyconfig file from the addons folder.

Keymapper by Cap'n Hack ( http://www.capnhack.com )
Oolite is available from: http://www.aegidian.org/oolite/
Greyman
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Greyman »

Well, thanks for the thanks :lol:

I will put a Readme and an executable with a proper Version number into a small ZIP-file and post the address here. I guess it'll be done by tomorrow evening - today we have such a good weather that I wasn't even thinking about spending much time at my Mac :D
Greyman
Dangerous
Dangerous

Done

Post by Greyman »

OK, couldn't live with the situation :P

So even though the sun is shining I just put together a ZIP-File with readme and everything. I decided to make the app version 1.7.

You can now get it from here:

Have a nice day!
Greyman
Dangerous
Dangerous

new version

Post by Greyman »

Found a bug yesterday which turned out to be one of those unfortunate typos :oops:

A new version has been uploaded. You can get it from box.net.

Greetings,

Greyman
Greyman
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Greyman »

Another bugfix / maintenance release of the Keymapper now at version number 1.7.2.

I have added the key for targeting incoming missiles which was missing somehow. Right now I guess all possible key commands are now customizable. If not, please tell me :-)

So far the Keymapper application has been downloaded almost 100 times since I first updated Capnhack's original Keymapper for version 1.65 of Oolite. So there seems to be quite a demand.

The download location hasn't changed and can be found in my signature. I still don't have a way to compile a Windows and Linux binary since this would require a rather expensive license for RealBasic. So if there is someone out there willing to compile those binaries please drop a note.

A question to the developers: Will there be any new keyboard commands in 1.74? having looked at the nightly build for Mac I didn't find anything new in the keyconfig.plist.

Another question: As there is only a binary do I still have to name any licenses. If this is indeed the case I would ask for a suggestion to what kind of license since I'm not up to date on this topic.

Greetings, Greyman
Get the Oolite Keymapper for Mac here!
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

suggestions

Post by maik »

Hi,

thanks for posting the keymapper, I just tried it out :)

A few suggestions for further improvements:
* show the currently active key for each function. I haven't memorized all keys yet (some I came across I didn't even know existed). So I either have to look it up in the manual or mess it up... :s
* provide a skip option if I don't want to change that particular key. In my case, I only want to change one key (message log), not all of them.
* alternatively, show all keys on one screen and allow me to select the one I want to change.

Cheers,
-Maik
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Greyman wrote:
A question to the developers: Will there be any new keyboard commands in 1.74? having looked at the nightly build for Mac I didn't find anything new in the keyconfig.plist.
The only new key I can think of for 1.74 is Ctrl when Advanced Nav Array is active, which switches route optimization mode to Time instead of Distance (least number of jumps). The same key, pressed together with Shift+M in fullscreen mode, will switch to mouse control with left-right axis mapped to yaw instead of roll. This key is hardcoded in both cases though, so I am not sure you will need to make use of it in the keymapper app.
Greyman
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Greyman »

Thanks for the replies.

@maik:

I'm working on it. But I'm not very good at programming and rather short on time. So I'll have to ask for some patience :-)

Greetings,
Greyman
Get the Oolite Keymapper for Mac here!
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

No worries, I don't expect 24h turnaround times ;-) Thanks for taking it up!

Cheers,
-Maik
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

BTW, I sticky-fied this topic, the keymapper is an important piece of the puzzle, IMO
GrinNoCat
Poor
Poor

Beyond the mapper...

Post by GrinNoCat »

Ok, I have looked through the forums and done a number of searches and I cannot find anyway to map some of the command functions to alternate keys so I am asking for help. Yes, I am on a mac and posting in the mac section!

Examples:
I rock on the 10key pad so I would want to map all ship controls and common battle elements over to the num keypad. However this interferes with view selection (front, back, left and right) which I would shift to other keys if I could.

I would also like to shift the doc menu keys to their actual F-Key so that they match the graphics, or maybe a modified number key (like option or command 1-8) so that they don't conflict with the mappings of the combat keys.

I examined the keycommands.plist in the add-ons folder and I also opened the package contents of the oolite "game" to review the keycommands.plist there. I also browsed other potential plist files to see if they were contained within them. I came up empty all-round, perhaps because you can't do it - however I am hoping that it is my ignorance instead.

Anybody provide some help here?

BTW: Handy little application I found on the web called "Full Key Codes" that will let you get the key value of any key combination on the mac. As a forum n00b I can't post a link so you will just have to google it.
If you take the cat away from the grin you are simply left with a :) .
What?!? Of course all cats are :twisted: ! What a stupid question. :P