Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

making a see-through cockpit using scarecrow's pilot model

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

parazaine
Dangerous
Dangerous

making a see-through cockpit using scarecrow's pilot model

Post by parazaine »

can anyone help me? I have used scarecrows pilot and seat models in my ship model and have modified the paint.net image so there ia a see-through area where the windscreen is but i cant find the correct settings to do a see-through windscreen layer, i either dont see the windsreen at all or it is totally opaque and i cant see the pilot - what layer properties should i have to make it transparent? I have tried numerous transparency settings but im not sure im using the correct layer property?
'Either this wallpaper goes, or I do'

Oscar Wilde's last words
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: making a see-through cockpit using scarecrow's pilot mod

Post by Rustybolts »

From my understanding i dont think you can do transparancies on oolite models
STE.+ Firefly/Dragonfly + BlackJacksbullion v.1.23 link below.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ca16 ... f6e8ebb871
parazaine
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by parazaine »

That would explain my difficulty then - I could just leave an open area near the pilot but that wouldnt look as good?

Oscar Wilde's last words
Rustybolts
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rustybolts »

parazaine wrote:
That would explain my difficulty then - I could just leave an open area near the pilot but that wouldnt look as good?
Or have a cage like suround to the cockpit area.
STE.+ Firefly/Dragonfly + BlackJacksbullion v.1.23 link below.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ca16 ... f6e8ebb871
parazaine
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by parazaine »

Yes, thats a v good idea, i might try that

Oscar Wilde's last words
Davidtq
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Davidtq »

Its not a great fix but you can create the model pilot \ seat \ cockpit canopy you want then take a still image from the angle where it would have the most impact, then in an image editor put a transparant section over it to represent cockpit screen glare, then incorporate that into the ships texture, at some angles it may look odd but at most of the worst angles the texture will be laying nearly flat and so be invisible anyway.

Ive used this as a cheap and cheerfull way to add a figure to a cockpit before.
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

i'm not sure which 3D modelling package you're using but most of them allow you to 'flip normals'. That effectively turns the chosen polygon inside out. So if you were facing the polygon you'd see right through it (to the character inside). If you were facing side on then you'd see through the first polygon of the cockpit to the character and then the inside of the cockpit from the polygon behind because that would also be flipped.

I'm not even making any sense to myself.

There is a thread somewhere with screenshots I'm going to find it and then edit this post.

EDIT: found it:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t= ... c&start=75

(that link should take you to page 6 - have a look at the posts at the top of the page and then scroll down to the screenshot at the bottom for an example. Scarecrow actually calls it 'reversing the polygons' but I do think that in most 3D packages the button you want to look for is something like 'Edit Normals' and then flip your selected polygons).
parazaine
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by parazaine »

Thank You all for the info, I will have a look at 'flipping normals' in wings 3d and let you know if it works

Oscar Wilde's last words