Wheel Reinvention - The Oolite Icon

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

How about all? Hell, post one post several, make one that looks like it's been penned by anarcistic drag queen. This isn't about absolutes it's about choice. :D
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re:

Post by pagroove »

Doing a bit to bring an old Thread back from the dead. But I would like to see those KZ9999 ranking Badges and a ranking advancement screen in game one day.
Is that going to happen?

KZ9999 wrote:
Firstly, thanks El Viejo for the planets, I'll put them together on a page for the pdf over the next week.

Since you ask Pagroove, this is how I think the badges would work in the game. Firstly this is how the badge would appear in the Commanders' Profile screen.
There is plenty of space to the right at the screen top for sticking some medals without blocking the text.

During game play when you clock over to the next rank, the text entry will update on the profile but the badge will stay the same until you dock with a GCW station. Using the same routine as for the mission messages you would see something like this.

Now the canny among you may have notice the small pips under the starbird. As you hit the silver ranks the feedback for your combat skill becomes very scant. It struck me if that the game give you a 'Right On Commander' after clocking up 256 kill, that perhaps it should acknowledged more of them. I also noticed that it would take 25 blocks of 256 kills to become Elite. So here are the kill badges.
In order: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Diamond, Ruby, Emerald, Sapphire.

Again, there would be a com message for ever 256 kills and when you dock with a GCW station you would get.

The game calcualtes the pips on base 5x256 scale. A commander can have 4 gold, 4 silver and 4 bronze pips at 31999 kills, then only a single diamond pip at 32000.

(All the game images are just quick hacks so forgive their rough look

Anyway it's all just some subjective flights of fancy since there are more important features/bug-fixing to be done first.

Finally, for those who are interested in such things, here's my new look of the t-shirt cobra.
I want to thank everyone for pushing me on the design. It's so much better than the snakehead version. 8) It is your feed back that is making the work fun and improves both my skill and quality of the product.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Re:

Post by Cody »

pagroove wrote:
I would like to see those KZ9999 ranking Badges and a ranking advancement screen in game one day.
Agree - I have one variant of KZ's Elite rank badge on my instrument panel!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Re:

Post by pagroove »

El Viejo wrote:
pagroove wrote:
I would like to see those KZ9999 ranking Badges and a ranking advancement screen in game one day.
Agree - I have one variant of KZ's Elite rank badge on my instrument panel!

That is one thing you can do yourself. And it sits well on your Hud. But an oxp to bring those badges ing game will bring some new flavor and color.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Wheel Reinvention - The Oolite Icon

Post by Diziet Sma »

Yes, would love to see that in-game..

(whatever happened to KZ9999 and those t-shirts, by the way?)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied