Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Rise Of The Kirin 39

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

ClymAngus wrote:
I see we've been officially annexed into shipyards.

Sweet acceptance.
:D

You might be happy to hear that with any Kirin that has the OSE Combat Computers installed, her turrets will at least try to shoot down missiles of all sorts automagically - from auto-locking on them to firing :twisted:

Curious about the first Kirin versus Juggernaut battle ...

8)

L

(Who might, when own meta-oxp is finally done, well buy himself one of the bigcargoed plus multiturreted Kirin's)
saint
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by saint »

ClymAngus wrote:
slow but deadly accurate (as accurate as the Dragon or Neo-caduceus).
Excuse the question, sir, what does it means "deadly accurate" ? That it shots always in the center of the crosshair ? Or that it lets you do very small position change in order to get the target exactly where the laser will hit ?

And could this technology be transferred to such a tin can like a TIE fighter ?

Thank you in advance.
Cmdr. Saint, Golden Gladstone with 4 leaves Clovers of the Most Noble Order or The B.D.c.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

As Wyvern informed me after I'd build the first (and as it turned out) fairly flawed) Caduceus. Hence the reason why the neo-caduceus is the oxp to get.

Aligning the exit point of the laser (plist) with the model (dat) and with the player view point (plist) radically enhances the accuracy of a ships weapons.

For optimum accuracy a ship model should be centred in xyz. That way when you set the view point and the laser exit point (at 0 y and eather 0z (for side lasers) and 0x for front and back) there's nothing to interfere with the angle at which the laser appears to be firing.

Basically your setting everything up directly down the line ship, laser and sight.

Technically it could be done for any ship but your lasers might end up coming out in a weird place and not necessarily where you may want them. Hence the reason the kirins lasers are mounted "high". It's worth having the accuracy, and it's just a creative challenge to adapt the texture to account for this.
saint
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by saint »

Thank you.
Cmdr. Saint, Golden Gladstone with 4 leaves Clovers of the Most Noble Order or The B.D.c.
saint
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by saint »

Goddammit!

Pirate got that abomination! Damn hard to kill indeed.

Going to take care of my TIE

*start drawing an upgrade for the forward gun, really going to send all beams on target...<EDIT>Done, thanks for the Laser Fixin 101 course :)<EDIT>*

Greeat Sith lord, keep the caduceus ship far far from my tail...
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ...

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Lestradae wrote:
You might be happy to hear that with any Kirin that has the OSE Combat Computers installed, her turrets will at least try to shoot down missiles of all sorts automagically - from auto-locking on them to firing :twisted:
Because of my woefully low-spec, ancient computer, OSE bogs down framerates to the point that the sim is technically unplayable. As you put it on another thread,
Also OSE really needs at least a 2+GHz dualcore and 3+GB RAM system to run properly!
Not doable, unless a rich uncle dies or I somehow win a lottery. There's this curse called a recession going on, and I have higher priorities than a new box right now. So no OSE for this space ace.
There's a lot of oxps that I ultimately had to ditch, Assassins being one of them. :(

That said, the combo of target autolock, missile analyzer, bounty scanner and AMS + missile sniping turrets in trunk offers the same function as your combat computer. The only thing missing is an autofire of the ECM, which would be cool to have.
Last edited by Cmdr Wyvern on Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

While I'm here, I think it would be nice if the Kirin and the characters involved in the Tibecia Incident got a mention in the wiki. (hint hint)
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

:(

Cmdr Wyvern, when OSE is done and I find the time, I might just do a separate CombatComputers.oxp ... and perhaps also a PlayerStations.oxp for those who don't want to or can't play full OSE.

I have been asked for this already, so why not. Or perhaps, if someone else took out these functions and made a separate oxp of them - that would be even better :wink:

*hopes for Cmdr Wyvern to win in the lottery*

L
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
While I'm here, I think it would be nice if the Kirin and the characters involved in the Tibecia Incident got a mention in the wiki. (hint hint)
Ask our erstwhile wiki guru. I've tried asking, begging and pleading (and I really debased myself by grovelling the last time).

It looks like I am unworthy to stain the wiki with my id.

(Maybe I shouldn't have left his sister tied to that tree, oh well.)
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

ClymAngus wrote:
(Maybe I shouldn't have left his sister tied to that tree, oh well.)
Uh-oh. I smell a Random Hits price on your head in the future.
Clym "Cascade Bomber" Angus, wanted for tying the erstwhile wiki guru's sister to a vicious treeoid in a handblaster wedding.
"Your fellow lasers-for-hire opine that this retirement might be a bit tricky."

:twisted: :lol:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
IT IS DONE!
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

ClymAngus wrote:
Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
IT IS DONE!
Awesome. :D
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Rise Of The Kirin 39

Post by sdrubble »

Hi all,

just noticed at the bottom of the Wiki entry for the Kirin: :cry: :cry:

Code: Select all

This OXP is currently broken
Meanwhile, in the wiki's OXP_List page, the 'Kirin' entry shows as 'Y' in the compatibility column.

Would one of the Wiki Gods wish to step up and fix that ?

And while I'm here... just read this forum thread and its sibling for 'Kirin Sport' (the 'Sport' is correctly labeled as 'Problematic' within 'OXP_List'). From the little I could understand there, the issues of both OXPs have to do with shaders mgm't. While I might have figured this out completely wrong, I'd like to ask anyway...:

Since I'm playing Oolite only in a lowly netbook which does NOT allow 'Shader Effects', would that mean that the bugs in either OXP would not bother to bite me ? Or would it be that the issues go deeper than that ?

Of course, I could just try either one and see for myself... but really hope some kind soul would step in and save me from a possible dead-end setup and experimentation. :mrgreen:

Thx and cheers
fronclynne
Deadly
Deadly

Post by fronclynne »

sdrubble wrote:
From the little I could understand there, the issues of both OXPs have to do with shaders mgm't. While I might have figured this out completely wrong, I'd like to ask anyway...:

Since I'm playing Oolite only in a lowly netbook which does NOT allow 'Shader Effects', would that mean that the bugs in either OXP would not bother to bite me ? Or would it be that the issues go deeper than that ?

Of course, I could just try either one and see for myself... but really hope some kind soul would step in and save me from a possible dead-end setup and experimentation.
Well, they don't give me any trouble on this cruddy old IBM x40 (i855GM has all the 3d capabilities of a one-eye goose with glaucoma), which is as shader-free as your setup.

Consider that an endorsement, I suppose.
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

fronclynne wrote:
Well, they don't give me any trouble on this cruddy old IBM x40 (i855GM has all the 3d capabilities of a one-eye goose with glaucoma), which is as shader-free as your setup.

Consider that an endorsement, I suppose.
Thx fronclynne, that's good news. On this side there's an Asus EEE 901 w/ GMA950.

I'll be adding one of the Kirin OXPs soon then, and try a branching story from my current Caduceus saga. I like these overpowered beasts... some sort of subconscious compensation I guess. :mrgreen:

[offtopic]

Oh, and since we're at it - just tried the DeepspaceShips OXPs. I was a bit cautious, since someone said they'd eat up a bit more CPU cycles... I didn't notice any significant increase in CPU percentage or heat, and it does add very nice textures to most ships. I can swear it also generally 'beautified' the game screens overall, although I can't really pinpoint any objective differences.

If you haven't tried it yet, might be a good addition to your in-game experience.

[/offtopic]

Thx a lot and cheers !!! :D