Galactic Navy Strikes Back

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Twigley
Harmless
Harmless

Re: Galactic Navy Strikes Back

Post by Twigley »

Hi there. New to the bulletin boards.

The other day I was flying a mission to eliminate a pirate base. I came under attack from pirates (other than our target group) on route to the pirate base. I waited while lasers hit my shields hoping the rest of the reserved squadron would do something. Obviously in the end I had to break formation and deal with the pirates myself.

It would be nice if once formed up with other reservists we had each other's back in situations like this? So maybe the OXP could include the idea that reservists behave like police and attack aggressive criminals in range - assuming a primary objective is not immediately pressing (like a thargoid swarm!).

Thanks.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Hi Twigley, and welcome to the board.

I can't help you with your question, though!
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Hi Twigley and welcome to the board.

In answer to your question, I think its fair to assume that the reservist ships are not Navy vessels, therefore they are not under orders to take on passing fugitives. Their objectives are to engage targeted Thargoids or Pirates depending on the current mission you are doing.

Another reason for not giving them extra AI commands to engage other law breakers would be to ensure that they stick to the mission at hand, so to speak. Otherwise they might go AWOL before getting to the target, and then you'd be on your own!
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Trax
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by Trax »

HI,

I was told to report a smaller bug in this thread:

I have the problem that below the GalNavy Leaderboard my sorties are counted, but instead of the number of kills
it just states "KILLS:[score_number]".

Also when I dock at SecCom my ship is not correctly noiticed - the text states: "Your [commanderShip_string] has been docked...."

I am running OOlite 1.77 and GalNavy 5.4.3 ( and lots of other Oxps )
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13527
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Both expansions are deprecated in oolite 1.77.

To fix it, open the file "missiontext.plist" inside the oxp and replace the string "[commanderShip_string]" by "[commander_shipname]". Replace it 4 times in total.

For [score_number] I am not sure if it was mend to be deprecated. To be on the safe side, replace it also in the oxp with an other replacement method.:
Still in the missiontext.plist file, find "[score_number]" and replace it by "score_number". So, just remove the brackets to stop the expansion. The expansion is now done in the script.

For that, open the file "galnavymain.js" and look for the line:

Code: Select all

mission.runScreen({title: "Galactic Navy", messageKey: "squad_leaderboard", choicesKey: "leaderboard_return_choice"}, this.SecComBusiness);
Replace that line now with the following 2 lines:

var message = expandMissionText("squad_leaderboard", {score_number: player.score});
mission.runScreen({title: "Galactic Navy", message: message, choicesKey: "leaderboard_return_choice"}, this.SecComBusiness);
That way the script replaces the score. I have not tested it, but am confident it works.

Probably the current version of the oxp has to be marked as slightly 1.77 incompatible. :lol: I hope Nemoricus finds time to update the original.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Eric Walch wrote:
I hope Nemoricus finds time to update the original.
Me too! This used to be one of my favourite OXPs and still has a lot of potential. If the models that ADCK made could be made to work with this OXP it would be a start, an maybe more involved missions. I quite like having to fight pirate frigates, they are (almost) impossible to defeat and pack a hell of a punch! :twisted:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

@Eric

Thanks.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Fatleaf wrote:
I had a CTD and this is what I found in the log. A Mine sweeper ship was repeating its message over and over and it was when I went to attempt scooping the (now white on the scanner) Qmine that the CTD occurred.
This bug was also mentioned here by Solonar. It is a combination of two errors:
1- The AI command 'becomeUncontrolledThargon' is increasing the stack on every call. Normally no problem as it is mend to be used only once.
2- The GalNavy mine sweeper is using that command repeatedly.

To fix this, go to the 'navyMinesweeper.js' file and replace:

{ return entity.isShip && entity.isWeapon && (entity.primaryRole == "EQ_QC_MINE" || entity.primaryRole == "EQ_CASCADE_MISSILE")};
by

{ return entity.isShip && entity.isWeapon && (entity.primaryRole == "EQ_QC_MINE" || entity.primaryRole == "EQ_CASCADE_MISSILE") && !entity.isCargo};
That should make that the quirium mines are only found once.

No idea why Fatleaf got a ctd though, as the fact that the overflow was logged, means the code knows about the problem and already has anticipated on it.
hayden
Above Average
Above Average

Post by hayden »

Getting bit bored with the Galactic Navy Thargoid/Bandit missions, so trying to get onto one of the more special missions. Tried changing my number of sorties to 18 or 19 to set off the specific (xaquetl_sortie) missions and nothing happens, more banditry or Thargoid mission. Tried fixing the issue with the kills (player_score) not being displayed but it didn't work, though I think no. of Galactic Navy kills is unimportant, just no. of sorties done. Any ideas? Is the player_score screwing me up? Thanks
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Sometimes when I'm flying about I forget where the navy bases are. What do others do to remember?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

There is a map on the wiki page for the Galactic Navy, or you can check the map in game as the OXP adds the locations to the system descriptions. :mrgreen:

JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Pleb wrote:
There is a map on the wiki page for the Galactic Navy, or you can check the map in game as the OXP adds the locations to the system descriptions. :mrgreen:
I think there should be an OXP to add an icon to the system on the short range map.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

You could create an oxp that evaluates the target system, when starting the countdown for a system jump. And than write a message that you are about to enter a system that is protected by the navy. When you are not clean at that moment, you have 10 seconds to abort the jump.

Or only write the warning message when not clean. :lol:
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Hello Eric,
Eric Walch wrote:
Both expansions are deprecated in oolite 1.77.

To fix it, open the file "missiontext.plist" inside the oxp and replace the string "[commanderShip_string]" by "[commander_shipname]". Replace it 4 times in total.

For [score_number] I am not sure if it was mend to be deprecated. To be on the safe side, replace it also in the oxp with an other replacement method.:
Still in the missiontext.plist file, find "[score_number]" and replace it by "score_number". So, just remove the brackets to stop the expansion. The expansion is now done in the script.

For that, open the file "galnavymain.js" and look for the line:

mission.runScreen({title: "Galactic Navy", messageKey: "squad_leaderboard", choicesKey: "leaderboard_return_choice"}, this.SecComBusiness);

Replace that line now with the following 2 lines:

var message = expandMissionText("squad_leaderboard", {score_number: player.score});
mission.runScreen({title: "Galactic Navy", message: message, choicesKey: "leaderboard_return_choice"}, this.SecComBusiness);
That way the script replaces the score. I have not tested it, but am confident it works.

Probably the current version of the oxp has to be marked as slightly 1.77 incompatible. :lol: I hope Nemoricus finds time to update the original.

Thank you for this tip, I did give it go , but alas to no avail, I was wondering when you say

"[commanderShip_string]" by "[commander_shipname]". Replace it 4 times in total. whether the second bracketed remarks were to be replaced exactly as you wrote it or whether I was to manually put in [Duggan_Python] or whatever ship I am piloting.

Please forgive my opacity, I am at a funny age . :)

Post script, I can't really seam to effect the change in Leader board yet but might have not done that right either.

It's not a biggy, I still enjoy this oxp very much , but if I can iron out these two small wrinkles it's all to the good IMO.

Many thanks Duggan.
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Duggan, did you start Oolite whilst pressing SHIFT until you see the spinning Cobra after applying the changes?

This is necessary in order to force Oolite to clear its cache and actually look at the plist and script. Otherwise Oolite uses the cached (unchanged) version of the plist and script.