Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Galactic Navy Strikes Back

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

Cool, definitive answers, thanks. I'll come up some wiki text and post it back here for approval.
goran
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by goran »

I think this is the tread to post.

There is a (last) line in my savegame/mission variables:
KEY = seccom_station
value = Reserve Duty - Intercept the Thargoid Battle Fleet at Quenle

There is no contract listed on F5, and there is no Thargoids at Quenle (just checked).

There is also the following line:
KEY = mission_seccom_station
value = SECCOM_REVISIT</string>

Can I just delete the "Quenle" line or...?
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

That's a bit strange. I'm not sure what's going on, but it's something that shouldn't have happened. You can delete the seccom_station lines, but the mission_seccom_station is fine.

What happens when you dock to a SecCom station?

I don't know what could have caused that to happen. Does anyone have any ideas?
Dream as if you'll live forever
Live as if you'll die tomorrow
goran
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by goran »

I'm serving my duty as a reserve pilot for quite some time now, 69 sorties so far. When I dock to a SecCom station, I get new orders. Nothing is wrong there.
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

Hmm...given that my examination of the code reveals nothing out of the ordinary, I'm going to chalk this one up to strange circumstances and leave it at that.

Happy hunting!
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Nemoricus wrote:
I don't know what could have caused that to happen. Does anyone have any ideas?
The descriptions for the F5 screen are saved with the script name as key. In your JS translation some script names changed. And this was a description generated with an older version of GN.
I should have noticed this with your test versions. But this is mainly a cosmetic problem for people looking in the save file.
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

It occurred to me that that might have been the cause, but I didn't seriously consider it. However, it makes sense and is logical.
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

Since 1.73 has now rolled around, I believe that I have a promise to keep.

It's time to update Galactic Navy!

Things on my to-do list:

1. Change current missions to emergency response only, and introduce a new set of standard reserve missions.

2. Introduce new SpecOps missions. Seriously, though, I need ideas for these and if anyone has any, PM me.

Anything else that people want to suggest?
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Nemoricus wrote:
Yes, I did already suggest it during the tests, but somehow it did not get in. In order to have more chances for different target systems, I recommend this:

Code: Select all

this.ReserveDutySystemDetermination = function()
{
	var sec = clock.secondsComponent;
	for(var i = 0 ; i <= sec ; i++) {
		this.ReserveDutySystemDeterminationPt2();
	}
}

this.ReserveDutySystemDeterminationPt2 = function()
{
It's pretty simply running the random determination of the system more often, based upon the current clock. Thus it's much more seldom that a player always does get the same target system.

Screet
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

Nemoricus wrote:
Since 1.73 has now rolled around, I believe that I have a promise to keep.

It's time to update Galactic Navy!

Things on my to-do list:

1. Change current missions to emergency response only, and introduce a new set of standard reserve missions.

2. Introduce new SpecOps missions. Seriously, though, I need ideas for these and if anyone has any, PM me.

1. Naval ships of all sizes need to launch hardhead missiles at targets to soften-up and/or destroy them. Sooner would be better than later. Coordinated attacks against priority targets (bigger Thargoid ships first, then next biggest within range and etc.) would make some sense, in my opinion.

2. Naval ships need to run, not walk, away from Q-Bombs.

3. Spec-Ops missions could involve rescue of V.I.P.'s from Stations or Rock-Hermit outposts or even from pirate vessels large enough to have a docking bay.

4. Spec-Ops missions could involve a scouting mission to ascertain the size, location, probable course and ship details of a Thargoid or Pirate task force.

5. Spec-Ops missions could involve planting a tracking device upon a particular vessel (either by hitting the target with a special missile or by tricking the target into scooping a trojan-horse cargo cannister).

6. Spec-Ops mission could involve deliberately infesting a vessel with Trumbles (either to distract them long enough for a Navy task force to reach an intercept position or as a prank to avenge an insult done to a high-ranking naval officer during a public and formal social situation).

7. Spec-Ops mission could involve the transport of a notorious/famous/valuable prisoner. The mission would be dangerous because the prisoner has allies who will attempt to free them.

8. More newscasts and updates about the activities of the Galactic Navy available during reservist briefings. The same stories should not repeat over and over again.

Thanks for the efforts made in the past, and thanks in advance for your future progress. 8)

~CptnEcho
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Post by OneoftheLost »

Hi, rather new here. Brand new to Oolite in general. Installed this OXP as well as RH, System Redux, Cargo Wrecks, and Lave Academy.

I recently warped into Isinor. and found a Navy frigate and some vipers... sitting around. No engines, nothing. Did I miss something? Its a bit strange, because the rest of the navy groups I have seen work fine, including the behom's. I couldn't find any logs. Using latest test version, as well as Navy 5 and running on a PC.

Anybody have any ideas or need more info?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

I think its deliberate. Sometimes the Navy are on 'guard duty' by the witch point and just park up and wait to blow up any pirates or thargoids jumping in rather than patrolling the system's space lanes. Looks a bit odd, so maybe it would be better to tweak the AI to give the guards a little patrol route that they fly, staying within 10 kms (say) of the witch point.

Welcome to the boards, BTW.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Makara
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Makara »

Not sure a tweak to it would be necessary. Their current tactic works well & is cheap. I've lost a few Random Hits targets as they jumped into that firestorm :)

It also makes for a clear indication that you have dropped into one of the Navy's command systems (if you neglected to F7 on your way over).
OneoftheLost
Deadly
Deadly

Post by OneoftheLost »

:oops:

Erm.... its a "Feature" Gotcha.

Shows just how new I am...

>.<

Thanks for the clarification and welcome!
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

Stationary could be more intimidating if they were to be arranged as a wall infront of it, so they become the first thing you see..? 'You have to pass through us first' sort of thing, rather than like a police car in the lay-by.