Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

carrier market suggestions (or maybe ships?)

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

punkbohemian
Competent
Competent

Post by punkbohemian »

Thanks. I'll do that. :)
KZ9999
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Lost in Witchspace being hunted by a Thargoid Swam.

Re: carrier market suggestions (or maybe ships?)

Post by KZ9999 »

Like punkbohemian I think that would be a place for a small item carrier market.

Let us take inspiration from from E2 and E:FFE for they had the courier market. It featured items that had zero mass, like government paperwork, which needed to be transported to a neighbouring system. When you started off with the Saker Mk III, you had stuff all cargo space, so it was a great way to earn extra money while hauling a couple of tons of water.

In Oolite, we could implement like this....

Tie the Courier Market Place to a function key, say F4. There would be two groups of 5 contracts each: 'Massless' items like paperwork, there would also be small loads of a commodities of 2-10 tons worth but must be delivered asap. Both would be targeting systems within 7 light years. The massless items would have a base payment value of 3-10 credits, adjusted based on how dangerous the target system is. The small commodities would work the same as the standard carrier run only that they would be both on a very tight schedule and would be of goods that pirates would actively hunt for in that system.

Of course, it's very easy to suggest all this when you are not coding it, but I thought I would like to toss in my 0.05 credits
KZ999's Oolite documents, including the new draft Oolite Game Manual, can be found at www.box.net
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

There is already an OXP which provides this (UPS)
KZ9999
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Lost in Witchspace being hunted by a Thargoid Swam.

Post by KZ9999 »

Cmdr James wrote:
There is already an OXP which provides this (UPS)
I am aware of the OXP and have it installed in my full game version of Oolite. It is just that I found it a bit too random for my liking, only throwing up a single mission at certain locations. I would like it to be more like the Carrier Market, several choices in every system. This way I could pick and chose when I took one, instead of having to wait for one to fall in my lap. My suggestion was looking towards a way of providing another source of income for Jameson's when they first start their career.

That all being said, if I want a system like that I should just pull finger and code it myself. However just right now I thinks it's more important that I get a cohesive beginners manual finished first.... :wink:
KZ999's Oolite documents, including the new draft Oolite Game Manual, can be found at www.box.net