Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

OXP's missing from Wiki OXP list.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

Famous Planets does not seem to be on the list.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Nemoricus wrote:
Famous Planets does not seem to be on the list.
Thanks.. it's listed in the categories section, under "Other objects and miscellaneous eyecandy" but not in the main list.. I'll add it to the 'to-do' list...
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

Ah, no wonder I didn't find it. It's listed as Famous_planet_oxp. That should also be changed.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cloud City and Busy Ports added to list.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Diziet Sma wrote:
I think those two were WIP rather than finalised?

I would suggest that WIP OXPs are not added to the list, unless they are stable and give something to the game. Or at least they are clearly marked as WIP and/or have their own section/grouping.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Thargoid wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
I think those two were WIP rather than finalised?

I would suggest that WIP OXPs are not added to the list, unless they are stable and give something to the game. Or at least they are clearly marked as WIP and/or have their own section/grouping.
Oops.. my bad.. that'll teach me to check more carefully...

The idea of a W.I.P. section or page is a good one though..
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Diziet Sma wrote:
I second that ... but, why not simply use the "Testing & Bugs" forum for that?
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

The reason for giving Wiki space to those projects is so that people can see what is being worked on, if not necessarily completed. This lets them know about it and keep an eye on projects that they have an interest on.
Dream as if you'll live forever
Live as if you'll die tomorrow
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ...

Post by Diziet Sma »

Lestradae wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
I second that ... but, why not simply use the "Testing & Bugs" forum for that?
It's not always that easy to spot the W.I.P.'s on that forum, in amongst the other stuff going on.. particularly the ones where there haven't been any posts for a while, as they sink down the page. Topic titles don't always indicate that it's related to a W.I.P. either... so some kind of section on the Wiki seems like a good idea, to keep it all under one roof, so to speak.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Well, then ... if you create such a wiki WiP page, I for one will use it 8)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Might I suggest a few rules (or guidelines, or whatever):

• Only the authors of the OXP should add a WIP to the list - to prevent problems if someone is given something to beta-test that the author doesn't want on general release for whatever reason.
  • Things are clearly marked as WIP - they are not for "routine" gameplay and they may destabilise the install or have other unforseen effects.
  • Clear statement of what they currently do and what they are proposed to do (what's still to come).
  • Known issues and alterations to "get things working" - temporarily set flags or variables, things that are "bodged" to get things working etc.
A point to consider that if WIP versions are installed, they will still of course set mission variables and other flags within the testers save game. These can quite easily screw up a final version of the OXP for that save game, or give other general weirdness.

An alternative could be a simple "teaser" list of what people are working on (just a brief description, no links or code). I have one of those on my wiki page (at the bottom), although it's a little empty at the moment as I'm trying to wind down a bit.[/color]
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Very good idea Thargoid! Something like that should be made prominent at the top of the page, I think. A further thought, regarding mission variables and other flags added to gamesaves, maybe developers could list these, so that testers could easily remove them later, if needed.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

OXP Page partially updated.

Post by Diziet Sma »

The Wiki OXP Page has now been partially updated.

It's a bigger job than I'd originally planned, as it now entails creating individual pages for many of the OXPs.

So far I've added:

Cataclysm (separate page existed, but no link from main OXP page)
Bounty Scanner
Save Anywhere
Fuel Collector

When the rest are done, I'll go through and fix up the table-colours. The newly created individual OXP pages will also need fleshing out and standardising, but at least they're up. :D
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

Thank you, Diziet Sma. It's nice of you to add those OXPs to the wiki where they belong.
Dream as if you'll live forever
Live as if you'll die tomorrow
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

8) It's my pleasure, mate. I'm not yet able to make an OXP or design a ship, but at least this is one way I can contribute.. along with trawling Wiki pages for typos and painful grammar... :lol: