Oolite Multiplayer? Please read

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

commanderxairon
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Oolite Multiplayer? Please read

Post by commanderxairon »

anyone is really willing to do this or this is just chit chat?
Pirate Commander: I would taken over Anleis and maked the first pirate system on this Ooniverse and become the monarch of all that empire if This stupid boy and his ship would'nt interfeer

Kuroshido(RXS-mariana) : scooby doobi doo?....

MY CREW
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

commanderxairon wrote:
It's just chit-chat :wink:
Seriously there are *so* many reasons this wouldn't work, I wonder why this subject persists.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Smivs wrote:
commanderxairon wrote:
Seriously there are *so* many reasons this wouldn't work, I wonder why this subject persists.
Because we have a steady stream of hopeful new members who join thinking "Wouldn't it be great if..." :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Smivs wrote:
commanderxairon wrote:
Because we have a steady stream of hopeful new members who join thinking "Wouldn't it be great if..." :wink:
Heh, yes I know that. :) They'd change their mind the first time they met me :twisted:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

I don't know Smivs, for a pumpkin you seem a very likeable sort. :P

We need more positive people on this board. Optimism combined with creativity and practical knowledge can accomplish nearly anything in the face of "No, it can't be done!". What I see is 99% ideas by people with no intention to actually try to see if it can be done. Is this a board for development of oolite or the suggestion of oolite. Looking back through a couple of years of posts, nearly everything has been suggested. Most of them remain to be tried.

In terms of multiplayer, I would like some oolite inter-computer connectivity to allow myself and a few friends to get together at my place and have an oolite session. Locally. Same house. Not interested to play with or against people I don't even know. That's what NPC's are for. Also I would like to be able to connect 2 computers running oolite for display purposes and cockpit simulation. My wants would probably require a ground up re-write of oolite or some major core code added that interacts with another program written specifically for this purpose. I do not expect this. I would like it tried if another version of oolite was to be embarked upon.

All this said, I don't have the skill and knowledge to make this a reality. I would actually like to see someone qualified give it a try, eventually, if just to prove it can't be done.

And then when they succeed somehow we will all give our heads a shake. :?
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

CommonSenseOTB wrote:

We need more positive people on this board. Optimism combined with creativity and practical knowledge can accomplish nearly anything in the face of "No, it can't be done!". What I see is 99% ideas by people with no intention to actually try to see if it can be done. Is this a board for development of oolite or the suggestion of oolite. Looking back through a couple of years of posts, nearly everything has been suggested. Most of them remain to be tried.

In terms of multiplayer, I would like some oolite inter-computer connectivity to allow myself and a few friends to get together at my place and have an oolite session. Locally. Same house. Not interested to play with or against people I don't even know. That's what NPC's are for. Also I would like to be able to connect 2 computers running oolite for display purposes and cockpit simulation. My wants would probably require a ground up re-write of oolite or some major core code added that interacts with another program written specifically for this purpose. I do not expect this. I would like it tried if another version of oolite was to be embarked upon.

All this said, I don't have the skill and knowledge to make this a reality. I would actually like to see someone qualified give it a try, eventually, if just to prove it can't be done.

I would certainly like to see a multi-channel Oolite - four or five screens - one for each view one for menus/HUD - one primary copy of Oolite (Front view with input controls) streaming data to other copies of Oolite in "dumb mode" - i.e. not generating system data locally but accepting it from the primary, but it's easy to say, but its a core code change of epic proportions...

But yeah, I had many a fantastic day playing Twin Tornado on my 2 C64s with a friend in my teens, and after that, one-on-one with Powermonger on my Amigas and after that the original DOS Commander and Conquer on late 486s and early Pentiums (P60s!!!) - there was something very special about doing battle with the person you could see the reaction of across the room... (While I enjoyed playing Quake III, Urban Terror, Counterstrike online - it wasn't the same - however, I've recently been hosting some Urban Terror sessions in my lab with my Post-Grad students as a post lecture cheer up - and my enthusiasm has returned because of that "same room" interaction)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
CommonSenseOTB wrote:

I would certainly like to see a multi-channel Oolite - four or five screens - one for each view one for menus/HUD - one primary copy of Oolite (Front view with input controls) streaming data to other copies of Oolite in "dumb mode" - i.e. not generating system data locally but accepting it from the primary, but it's easy to say, but its a core code change of epic proportions...

But yeah, I had many a fantastic day playing Twin Tornado on my 2 C64s with a friend in my teens, and after that, one-on-one with Powermonger on my Amigas and after that the original DOS Commander and Conquer on late 486s and early Pentiums (P60s!!!) - there was something very special about doing battle with the person you could see the reaction of across the room... (While I enjoyed playing Quake III, Urban Terror, Counterstrike online - it wasn't the same - however, I've recently been hosting some Urban Terror sessions in my lab with my Post-Grad students as a post lecture cheer up - and my enthusiasm has returned because of that "same room" interaction)
You've spelled out my thoughts almost exactly DH. :)
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

I have an idea as to how Oolite Multiplayer could work, but I don't have the programming expertise to try it. Basically, it'd be a version of Oolite that's very minimal. No AddOns, no ./Oolite.app/Resources, so it would connect to an Ooniverse on another computer running Oolite, if it will work, otherwise a "server edition" of Oolite made to emulate Oolite as closely as possible, and broadcast its Ooniverse to the local network. Your savefile would be on the server, along with any OXPs. Also, I think the savefiles should be password protected (since anybody connected to the server could log in to Oolite and buy you an Adder). You'd need to bribe the sysadmin of the Oolite server to edit your savefile, of course. :wink:
The F4 screen (while docked) could provide "High Score" like information on the other non-NPC characters, such as kills, credits, and ship. There could be a section in the game options for choosing which server to connect to.

Could this work? I know it would require a LOT of programming know-how...
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The only way I can see to do this kind of thing is to have the central server (where the OXPs would be installed), and then the players have "clients" which just display the HUD and basically interpret the server's "ooniverse" to the individual players viewpoint.

Thence a common universe for all, but still a hell of a lot of data to transfer, plus a complete re-write of code.
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

Thargoid wrote:
...complete re-write of code.
Maybe Oolite II...
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

There is no plan for this to happen, and it is extremely unlikely that there will be an oolite 2 which supports multiplayer.

Honestly, this is a dead subject, it is not going to happen.
commanderxairon
Deadly
Deadly

Post by commanderxairon »

RyanHoots wrote:
I have an idea as to how Oolite Multiplayer could work, but I don't have the programming expertise to try it. Basically, it'd be a version of Oolite that's very minimal. No AddOns, no ./Oolite.app/Resources, so it would connect to an Ooniverse on another computer running Oolite, if it will work, otherwise a "server edition" of Oolite made to emulate Oolite as closely as possible, and broadcast its Ooniverse to the local network. Your savefile would be on the server, along with any OXPs. Also, I think the savefiles should be password protected (since anybody connected to the server could log in to Oolite and buy you an Adder). You'd need to bribe the sysadmin of the Oolite server to edit your savefile, of course. :wink:
The F4 screen (while docked) could provide "High Score" like information on the other non-NPC characters, such as kills, credits, and ship. There could be a section in the game options for choosing which server to connect to.

Could this work? I know it would require a LOT of programming know-how...
thats my idea !!!!!!!!!!!
Cmdr James wrote:
There is no plan for this to happen, and it is extremely unlikely that there will be an oolite 2 which supports multiplayer.

Honestly, this is a dead subject, it is not going to happen.
this way of tought is why some countryes are tilt of being in the 3rd world when there is just one .... some day when i have the money to hire programmers ill make this happen... and people that are just tooo lazy to make things happen will eat the dirt of my shoes
Pirate Commander: I would taken over Anleis and maked the first pirate system on this Ooniverse and become the monarch of all that empire if This stupid boy and his ship would'nt interfeer

Kuroshido(RXS-mariana) : scooby doobi doo?....

MY CREW
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

commanderxairon wrote:
this way of tought is why some countryes are tilt of being in the 3rd world when there is just one .... some day when i have the money to hire programmers ill make this happen... and people that are just tooo lazy to make things happen will eat the dirt of my shoes
You do realize that you are addressing one of the developers of Oolite, right? Just to be sure.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

commanderxairon wrote:
.... some day when i have the money to hire programmers ill make this happen... and people that are just tooo lazy to make things happen will eat the dirt of my shoes
You have mistaken our reasons and intent for laziness! :evil:

No, I have personally seen the outcome of massively multiplayer games...and it is not a good thing:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/3/19/

Multiplayer over a LAN with friends is far better and something completely different from playing with 1000's of unknown (to you) people.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Switeck wrote:
I have personally seen the outcome of massively multiplayer games...and it is not a good thing:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/3/19/

Multiplayer over a LAN with friends is far better and something completely different from playing with 1000's of unknown (to you) people.
Might I also contribute

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/online_gaming

to the debate? :D