Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Tionisla Orbital Graveyard

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Right then! I'll carry on myself then!

No worries. I think the majority of the work is done, all I'm doing right now is putting better models in and removing the test objects I was using to check the layout of the yard. Now I'll replace them all with proper monuments.

I might need some scripting help soon - that's the big thing that was stumping me. I still don't know how to make the Lancets launch from the station when someone's naughty.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

If you check the AI for the Random Hits bar, something similar should do it.

Something like:-

Code: Select all

"OFFENCE_COMMITTED" = ("markTargetForOffence: 15", increaseAlertLevel, "sendTargetCommsMessage: [spacebar-warning]", setTargetToSystemStation, "launchShipWithRole: random_hits_patrol");
and:-

"SCAN_FOR_CRIMINALS" = {
 "ATTACKED" = (setTargetToFoundTarget, setTargetToPrimaryAggressor, "sendTargetCommsMessage: [spacebar-warning]", "markTargetForOffence: 51", increaseAlertLevel, groupAttackTarget, "launchShipWithRole: random_hits_patrol", "setStateTo: ATTACK");
 "OFFENCE_COMMITTED" = ("markTargetForOffence: 15", increaseAlertLevel, "sendTargetCommsMessage: [spacebar-warning]", setTargetToSystemStation, "launchShipWithRole: random_hits_patrol");
 "ACCEPT_DISTRESS_CALL" = (increaseAlertLevel, "launchShipWithRole: random_hits_patrol");
 "ENTER" = (scanForOffenders);
 "EXIT" = ();
 "INCOMING_MISSILE" = (fireECM, setTargetToPrimaryAggressor, "sendTargetCommsMessage: [spacebar-warning]", "markTargetForOffence: 51", increaseAlertLevel, groupAttackTarget, "launchShipWithRole: random_hits_patrol", "setStateTo: ATTACK");
 "NOTHING_FOUND" = (setTargetToSystemStation, "setStateTo: LOOK_FOR_MINES1");
 "TARGET_FOUND" = (setTargetToFoundTarget, "sendTargetCommsMessage: [spacebar-warning]", "setStateTo: ATTACK");
 "UPDATE" = ("pauseAI: 1.0", scanForOffenders);  };
Should do it.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Hmm, that loooks good! I'll give it a try soon...

Scripting has come a long way since 2006...
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Could Also give the monuments a simple AI that increases the legal score of an attacker (basically just: -

"ATTACKED" = (setTargetToFoundTarget, setTargetToPrimaryAggressor, "markTargetForOffence: 25");
That'd then make attackers into offenders, causing the station to find them and launch Lancets to attack. The randomhitspatrolAI (for the ships launched by the bar) is pretty simple, it just scans for Bugs and Pirates and also scans the legal status of all nearby ships and then attacks any with Rap Sheets. If you gave the Lancets something similar, the Station would get them launched and then their own AIs would lock on to any naughty people in scanner range.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Yeah and launch them in droves, desecration must be severely punished.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Handover

Post by Selezen »

Hi guys.

After long consideration, I've realised that I'm going to have to stand down from developing the TOGY. Whilst I can put together a relatively nice looking ship or three, I'm nowhere near where I need to be in scripting to be able to effectively script the actions needed to emulate the occupants and visitors to the yard. I also don't have the time available to be able to sit and read through the wiki and the forum to be able to find out how to do even the basic things that I can't do properly.

So with that in mind, I'm making the entire contents of my TOGY folder available to the forum to take a copy of and continue the work. There are people in this forum doing things that I can only dream about being able to do with scripts, so I'm sure that someone can take on the job.

The file is here:
http://hughesd.co.uk/elite/content/file ... a2_dev.zip

If anyone who takes up the job wants any information about anything, please let me know.

Note that some of the work in this archive was designed by Rxke and Arexack_Heretic (Rik and Arnoud), and that there are 2 yahoo groups related to the development.
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

:cry:
Riding the Rocket!
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Aw, don't cry! I'm sorry! I just need to accept my limitations and concentrate on what I'm not crap at, which is drawing and modelling!

Oh, now you've got me started! :cry:

Seriously though, I think if I kept plugging away as things stand I'd be releasing a pretty poor product. There are loads of people out here who are far better than me at making things sing and dance in Oolite.
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Ah!

RECRUITING!!

All able hands are to contribute their skills at the TOGY or ....
feel forever ashamed to let it gather dust indefinately.

;)

I get what you are saying Slez.

When you have been 'away' for an extended time,
while development is in a .... rapids ...
(? white water, fast flowing currents...that sort of picture conjuring saying.)
... getting back into the OXP-game with confidence and ambition takes a big hit.

I'm in the same boat. :(

My advice is to swallow your pride and start afresh with some minor, but rewarding stuff... like modelling some simple, elegant shrines/tombs.

You'll get the buzz again (hopefully) and start to brush up on the various other aspects gradually.

---
I promise to turn out some new cargopod skins myself.
Who knows, maybe my advice is not total bogus and works on me too. :p
Riding the Rocket!
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

I did that already! I replaced the rusty Adders with simple tombstone and casket models. It was the fact that I was having trouble repositioning flashers that was getting on my nerves - I mean that's just a simple thing!
Arexack_Heretic

umm...yeah.
Riding the Rocket!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

If you're using the wings to get the positions for flashers by looking up vertex co-ordinates, i've noticed that you sometimes have to 'flip' the X co-ordinate value (the first of the 3 co-ordinate numbers), ie make it a negative value if it's originally a positive value, or make it a positive value if it's originally a negative value:
in the pic above, if i wanted a flasher at the highlighted vertex's position in oolite, the co-ordinates would be 1.0 1.0 1.0 and not -1.0 1.0 1.0
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Griff wrote:
If you're using the wings to get the positions for flashers by looking up vertex co-ordinates, i've noticed that you sometimes have to 'flip' the X co-ordinate value (the first of the 3 co-ordinate numbers), ie make it a negative value if it's originally a positive value, or make it a positive value if it's originally a negative value:
For “sometimes”, read “always”.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Ooh, that's useful to know. I'll file that away in my personal FAQ.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

So has anyone downloaded it yet?