The Oolite Extended Project - Fork, no oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ..

Post by Lestradae »

@ A_C:
another_commander wrote:
It would be even better if we could zoom in and out of such a screen and as one zoomed into a planet, at a certain distance the entire view would switch/morph/whatever to the F7 screen and the planetinfo would appear, essentially merging the functionality of the two screens into one. The opposite would happen while zooming out, morphing back to the F6-F6 view. ... See, I can dream too ;-)
Wow, you can dream even better than me! :D

What you describe would be awesome - but I assume, not thinkable to be seriously worked at until the next version of Oolite considered stable ...

@Bernd:
teacox wrote:
If I want to have some fun with the big fishes, I use the test-pilot files of OSE. The Constitution is - wow!
Yeah, it's quite impressive actually flying one, isn't it? Not solved yet is the problem of how to dock without screeeeeching in at stations other than the main one.

My probable solution will be another new equipment item, the Docking Shuttle, de facto a permanently reloading version of the escape pod. Launching will have to work similar to the "orbital boost" of planetfall - you "reappear" on your big ship that was "parked" outside the station, 3-4 kms away. And then there's the problem of re-awarding cargo after that stunt, don't know if that's actually scriptable, would be nescessary obviously. Don't know if cargo is read/write-able - hope so :?

@DaddyHoggy:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
Oh Harmless is easy to get rid of - install Tionsla Graveyard OXP, buy q-mine and injectors, jump to Tionsla, fly to graveyard - drop q-mine, hit injectors, switch to rear view and watch the fireworks. You should emerge from that somewhat further up the ranking scale
I seriously seem to be the only one who has never blown it up, and never will - this thing really should have a very effective minesweeper or guardian system in it, methinks ... gaining rank like this, it would feel too much like cheating to me :wink:

Good n8 everyone,

L
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I have never blown the TGY up! I'm still mostly harmless - my in-game personna is a pacifist - will run away if given he chance - but I know lots of people who have!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I have never blown the TGY up!
Then we are (at least) two 8)
DaddyHoggy wrote:
I have never blown the TGY up! I'm still mostly harmless - my in-game personna is a pacifist - will run away if given he chance - but I know lots of people who have!
I have often thought that this sort of play should have some scale in-game, too - but perhaps that would be too far removed from the original *lite for most people.

The X-series of space games for example had a sort of "tycoon" rating parallel to the combat rating, which would show your economic progress in the Ooniverse, similar to the combat progress rank that leads up to *** ELITE ***. Or perhaps also an explorer rank (how many systems have you explored and how deeply etc.).

I am going to try to incorporate one of these ideas into OSE - it's under the "still to do" header on the first posting - namely the ability to buy stations. Don't know yet if I'm going to add-in a tycoon ranking - that one could run similar to how it's done in Random Hits, i.e.

The original idea came from the observation that if you own a ship in the multi-million Cr range upwards, there comes a point where paying the maintenance fees gets near impossible. If you own a 20 million Cr ship like a kitted-out Juggernaut for example, your maintenance fee goes up to about 240.000 Cr!

So my idea was, that you could buy a range of stations as a credit millionaire (from Rock Hermit Mining Outpost - 1 million Cr - up to SIRFYard - 20 million Cr) and then get an income from that that is awarded every hyperjump or perhaps even every week if that can be scripted that is about 0,5% of your station's worth (5000 Cr weekly in case of the Rock Hermit Mining Outpost, 100.000 Cr weekly in case of the personal SIRFYard etc.)

Then there would be another ladder to climb for the in-game pacifists among us ...

Who do you imagine to be in the game, actually? So your Commander is a pacifist and runs away if he can - what makes him tick? Money? Exploration? Seeing things?

Interesting spin the topic imo,

L
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Lestradae wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
I have never blown the TGY up!
Then we are (at least) two 8)
Three...
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Lestradae wrote:
@ A_C:I seriously seem to be the only one who has never blown it up, and never will - this thing really should have a very effective minesweeper or guardian system in it, methinks ... gaining rank like this, it would feel too much like cheating to me :wink:

Good n8 everyone,

L
DaddyHoggy wrote:
Well then.. so it won't be 'cheating'... why not start a new Jameson, trade the Cobby for a MkI, buy the injectors and Q-Bomb, and blow up the TGY, just so you can see the spectacular fireworks.. then delete the Jameson file..

That way you're not cheating.. just being deliciously 'evil' for a few minutes to see what truly is an awesome sight.. :twisted:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

It's a subjective thing what is cheating and what not anyways.

I wouldn't even bomb it the way you suggest it, Diziet Sma, because it wouldn't fit to any roleplaying persona I'd ever want to play - but I make a note that if I should do a "Very long way around" mission for OSE final, I'll put something in that will let players blow up an unimaginably huge stretch from witchbeacon to planet :twisted:

Now to some screenshots I made ...
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Lestradae wrote:
It's a subjective thing what is cheating and what not anyways.

I wouldn't even bomb it the way you suggest it, Diziet Sma, because it wouldn't fit to any roleplaying persona I'd ever want to play - but I make a note that if I should do a "Very long way around" mission for OSE final, I'll put something in that will let players blow up an unimaginably huge stretch from witchbeacon to planet :twisted:

Now to some screenshots I made ...
I've been in a few systems where that would probably work anyway.. some of those lanes seem packed from end-to-end!
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

screenshots

Post by Lestradae »

Some ingame pics with OSE WiP V0.4 in, then:

A Cobra Mk I in front of a Deep Space Dredger ... both can be bought and flown as a player, notice the size difference ...

Two huge ships - a Constitution from OSE and a Hammerhead from Aquatics - the OSE standard hud seen in the pics is DeepSpace's hud, btw, the station from one of the station oxps I think (sadly don't know which one, have all of them in) ...

The view from a Juggernaut onto a Famous Planets 2.0 world, notivce the eight front turrets being visible on the front screen - so in battle you effectively have nine (!) front weapons. The low range (5 kms), slow plasma speed and slow turning of that battle giant make it a strategically not trivial maneuvre to bring them all to full effect - but if they manage, they pack quite a punch :twisted:

Last but not least: A Ramon Anaconda in the docking queue to another station of the diverse station oxps:

8)

L
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

8) indeed.

My ingame character - is pretty much Janus from my Lazarus short story (wip) - he wants to see the Ooniverse, he wants to trade, he wants to be rich, but he doesn't want to kill people and injectors were the first things he bought. In fact he had injectors, CBE, ECM, EEU and a fuel scoop before he up-graded his pulse to a beam.

There have been only three times where he has not been able to run away - 1st time - low fuel, 2nd time faster ship(s), 3rd time low fuel again.

He does do some moral hand-ringing each time he receives (and ignores) a distress call - this aspect may change as he's having "what if it was me?" internal dialogue.

I'm basing my pacifist success on (value of ship + equip + credits in bank) / no. of kills. This gives me my own "pacifist rating"!
Selezen wrote:
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I'm basing my pacifist success on (value of ship + equip + credits in bank) / no. of kills. This gives me my own "pacifist rating"!
He he ... just noticed that the "pacifist rank" could actually be scripted in by an oxp - those are all read/write variables I think, and Random Hits does something similar, too ... :idea:
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Lestradae wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
He he ... just noticed that the "pacifist rank" could actually be scripted in by an oxp - those are all read/write variables I think, and Random Hits does something similar, too ... :idea:
So something like this?

spiv
carpetbagger
rogue-trader
freelance
speculator
investor
trader
free-trader
manager
trade-manager
resource-manager
autrepenur
Executive 4th Class
Executive 3rD Class
Executive 2nd Class
Executive 1st Class
Cheif Executive
Trade chancellor
Mongal

Go S.P.I.V. GO!
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2336
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

@DaddyHoggy & ClymAngus:

If ranking scales for pacifism, economy & exploration can be formulated by us & the scripting ironed out (perhaps done by someone who knows what they are doing) I am perfectly willing to put the additional ranks into OSE :idea: :twisted: :idea:
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

8)

I shall add it my list of things to mull over...
Selezen wrote:
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

OK, tried the selling with another commander, and it worked fine. I guess the other one has some glitch in it or something, or I missed something.

But it's a non-bug I think.

Also one other comment. You mentioned before about taking out the new font by disabling the file in the textures folder. It's not quite that simple, as when I tried that I ended up with just blocks of yellow (or whatever colour the text should be) rather than the default font. So I guess the entry elsewhere that points to that file will also need to be disabled.

Putting the file back got everything working again, as did disabling the OXP. But just for reference in case you're going to add it to the readme of being able to do it.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Thargoid wrote:
So I guess the entry elsewhere that points to that file will also need to be disabled.
I recently did write here how to disable it...it's two files:
D:\games\Oolite\AddOns\A - Oolite Shipyards Extension WiP V0.4.oxp\Config\oolite-font.plist

and the textures
D:\games\Oolite\AddOns\A - Oolite Shipyards Extension WiP V0.4.oxp\Textures\oolite-font.png

both need to be renamed (add .off or something like that).

Screet