The Oolite Extended Project - Fork, no oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Oolite Shipyards Extension WiP V0.4 - Preview Test Versi

Post by ClymAngus »

Lestradae wrote:
Hi ClymAngus!
ClymAngus wrote:
Lestradae wrote:
TL 18:
How does that work then, when they only go up to 15?
I quote myself from above (I know, it's a rather longish text):
* Eight very special systems with unique names & background stories with tech levels between 16 and 18 where players can buy the special equipment
Don't know yet if those systems will be "simply there" in the final OSE version or if there might be a "Very long way around" mission of sorts to connect them all - that will depend on how tired of it I have become when it's nearing the end :wink:

In the WiP here, they are already here, fully functional, equipment also and can be bought there, but no epic missions series, yet.

Have fun, good Sir 8)

L
As long as they're "off chart" so I don't have to map em. I'm happy. Which galaxy are we talking here? (Fore warned is fore armed)
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Oolite Shipyards Extension WiP V0.4 - Preview Test Versi

Post by Lestradae »

ClymAngus wrote:
As long as they're "off chart" so I don't have to map em. I'm happy. Which galaxy are we talking here? (Fore warned is fore armed)
Hee hee :twisted:

I'm sorry, I'm so sorry :wink:

They are not off-chart, but they are in the most extreme reaches of the galactic sectors.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

Each Galactic Sector has one of these special worlds. They are usually at the edges; one of them (I think galactic sector 3 or 5) is at the end of a very long corridor of systems in the middle of the northern border of that sector.

Four have TL 16, three TL 17 and one has TL 18. The latter can only be reached via Galactic Hyperdrive Class 2 and is a certain system from Mutabilis which has certain people from an organisation with a certain four-letter-name who have a sort of HQ there ... (Oresrati)

I would find it nice if those worlds could be included into your mapping project - their background stories are "handcrafted" and based on things I liked to imagine when playing Elite 20 years ago ... the Nr.8 is as said loosely based on Mutabilis.

Cheers

L
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

well it can be done, of course it can be done. I might be able to wangle tl 18 by making 15 and whiting out from 1 again. 15 + 1 white = 16 etc.

As long as there are only a few of them. Bolting it on shouldn't be too nutty are they agri industry or could we put them in another color to denote their special status? Mid blue would look quite pretty. :)
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

ClymAngus wrote:
well it can be done, of course it can be done.
Cool :D
ClymAngus wrote:
I might be able to wangle tl 18 by making 15 and whiting out from 1 again. 15 + 1 white = 16 etc.
I haven't understood yet how the TL is represented in your maps? (Read the thread, still reading it, but didn't get that :oops: )
ClymAngus wrote:
As long as there are only a few of them. Bolting it on shouldn't be too nutty ...
One per Galactic Sector! No too many, methinks ...
ClymAngus wrote:
are they agri industry or could we put them in another color to denote their special status? Mid blue would look quite pretty.
They are of different political systems - I think a special colour to denote their extraordinary nature would be fine, as they don't belong to GalCop also, therefore the positions in the extreme reaches of GalCop space. Mid blue it is, then 8)

Massive SPOILERS AHEAD, again:

Their positions & data are:

Galactic Sector 1: 0 164 - formerly Sori, now Ascension
TL: 16, Inhabitants: Transhuman Colonials, Population: 10.5 billion, Rich Industrial Anarchy, Productivity: 135000

Galactic Sector 2: 1 225 - formerly Riardi, now Node Zero
TL: 17, Inhabitants: Artificial Intelligence, Population: 0 (1 AI), Rich Industrial Dictatorship, Productivity: 166000

Galactic Sector 3: 2 53 - formerly Esleusbe, now Achenar Secundus
TL: 16, Inhabitants: Human Colonials from Achenar, Population: 1.3 billion, Mainly Industrial & Feudal, Productivity: 78000

Galactic Sector 4: 3 61 - formerly Inedala, now ???
TL: 17, Inhabitants: The Mazebuilders, Population: 100 million, Rich Agricultural & Multi-Governmental, Productivity: 89000

Galactic Sector 5: 4 4 - formerly Ceuses, now Nyarla
TL: 17, Inhabitants: Violet Bony Slugs, Population: 300 million, Rich Industrial Communists, Productivity: 77000

Galactic Sector 6: 5 214 - formerly Ririso, now Beyonder Alliance Trading Outpost
TL: 16, Inhabitants: Beyonder Colony, Population: 100 million, Rich Industrial Democracy, Productivity: 12000

Galactic Sector 7: 6 224 - formerly Zaed, now Discordia
TL: 16, Inhabitants: Techno-Wizards, Population: 200 million, Rich Industrial Anarchy, Productivity: 120000

Galactic Sector 8: 7 162 - Oresrati
TL: 18, Inhabitants: ???, Population: 100 million, Rich Industrial Confederacy, Productivity: 85000

Looking forwards to seeing them in your maps :D

L
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

ClymAgnus's tech level indicators work like this: for each tech level, one spoke is added to the planet. Every fifth spoke is a triangle instead, so a TL 12 world would have, going clockwise, four spokes, a triangle, another four spokes and a triangle, and two final spokes.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Thanks Nemoricus!

Well, then TL 16-18 worlds would have, also going clockwise, three times four spokes followed by a triangle, and then 1-3 further spokes.

:!:

L
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

Trouble is, at TL 15 you've come full circle and there's no more room to add more spokes. Turning each triangle white at TL 16, 17, and 18 would work though, although I believe that this is what ClymAgnus has suggested.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Ah, I understand. Then this, I assume, will be the way to go!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Sorry I wasn't quite clear, I meant the system was the sec-com one, not the actual station. I was doing the selling at the main station.

I'll give it another try with a different save game and see if it's repeatable in another system and galaxy. It may just be some weirdness with the save game or something.

As to the Planetary Landing Capability, remember that those are modifications rather than a specific piece of bolt-on kit. Hence it doesn't make logistical sense to have them resold. It would be like taking your car in for an engine race-tune, and then afterwards selling the tune-up again and going back to your old set-up. There's no functional reason why you can't sell it in terms of scripting etc (it will sell without problem, indeed over time it's designed to wear out and need re-purchasing anyway). It's just a case of how it's envisaged.

Oh and as I said before, I'm on 1.72.2, not 1.73.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Thargoid wrote:
Sorry I wasn't quite clear, I meant the system was the sec-com one, not the actual station. I was doing the selling at the main station.

I'll give it another try with a different save game and see if it's repeatable in another system and galaxy. It may just be some weirdness with the save game or something.
Aha! And, yes please do, as I seemingly can't replicate the problem on my system, and have no further report of this happening (yet, at least).

I could imagine that it could have to do with systems which's TL was altered by an oxp, but then the OSE special equipment worlds with super-high TLs do flawlessly work on my system concerning the selling also, so that weighs in against that hypothesis.
Thargoid wrote:
As to the Planetary Landing Capability, remember that those are modifications rather than a specific piece of bolt-on kit. Hence it doesn't make logistical sense to have them resold. It would be like taking your car in for an engine race-tune, and then afterwards selling the tune-up again and going back to your old set-up. There's no functional reason ... It's just a case of how it's envisaged.
I understand, will take this specific option out then for the next test release.
Thargoid wrote:
Oh and as I said before, I'm on 1.72.2, not 1.73.
You did, indeed - another case of me spontanously going blind :oops:

Let me know if you observe anything else that's interesting or problematic 8)

L
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: .

Post by ClymAngus »

Lestradae wrote:
Galactic Sector 1: 0 164 - formerly Sori,
L

Formerly? So your replacing an existing planet with one of your own? That may cause a few problems as technically someone who does not have your oxp installed might not be able to find the original worlds if they needed to.

I'm going to have to have a think about this and see if there's another way of representing them. I'm loathed to do 2 versions of any map as any errors (we're still very much in the beta stage of both maps 1 and 2) take double the amount of fixing. I might be able to come up with some sort of sub-block system, combining 2 systems in to one visual, which would be a little messy but probably the best of both worlds.

I'll note down this post and when your happy with the oxp we'll come back to this with avengance.

You creative types with your constant meddling!!! Oh, hang on, that's me too. :D

as for the tech level I was thinking for 16 you have a full circle of black and the first spoke is white. If you just do the triangles then you have no where to go after 18. And I know you guys, your never going to be happy with just tl 18. If I can future proof it to 30 (which the way things are going, would be press a button and instantly own the universe) then there's some room to manuvre. Not that that's an invitation to create 30 tech levels mind you.
Last edited by ClymAngus on Wed May 27, 2009 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: .

Post by Lestradae »

ClymAngus wrote:
So your replacing an existing planet with one of your own? That may cause a few problems as technically someone who does not have your oxp installed might not be able to find the original worlds if they needed to.
Yep! How do you deal with this concerning other oxps? For example, T's Aquatics oxp has a system that wasn't "Aqualina" formerly, and diverse oxp's change the info on your maps, Lave.oxp alters that one's TL i.e., Assassins and Ionics rewrite info for many systems in their respective sectors etc.

The special worlds are going to stay as is until the final release of the oxp is done, so if you include those worlds I suggest you just deal with them like with any other change oxps might make.

Hm, perhaps do a map version without changes made by oxps and one with the changes made by any oxp? I am not aware of any conflicting oxps concerning this specific topic ...

:idea:

L
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Good question, one to which there is no answer. I've been quoting the wiki pro-rata. It's probably not a show stopper but it is a concern.

Suddenly the mapping project spins violently out of control.....
Hmmmmm.

Honestly the only way to fix this is with flash that overlays specific oxp changes to a map using a tick box system. A capability that is well beyond me currently. But if your doing that then you might as well do the whole 8 gal mass flash map and be done with it.

Of course this does mean that any map and the political, technical and cultural dynamic of that map can be drastically altered at any time by any oxp. Great if you want a real world experience. Lowsy for a map maker or a writer.

I'm not getting up anyone, people are of course free to remap gal 7 into a giant set of boobies if it gets them off. but it's a headache. I think I'll do the basics then come back to this. In the mean time I think I'll road test your fine new oxp sir!
Last edited by ClymAngus on Wed May 27, 2009 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

ClymAngus wrote:
Now he tells me. Suddenly the mapping project spins violently out of control.....
Wait a moment, you didn't know that thing with the oxps?

I'm sorry then you had to find out the hard way, and so sudden :wink:

... but, hereby volunteer to assemble for you the oxp changes systems information, if you want to do an oxp-less and all-oxps-in map version.

What am I saying there? Well, OK, I mean it 8)
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

It's fine, we'll come back to it. In say 6 months after I've finished the basic maps then (be warned) I very well may take you up on that offer sir!

The maps should be like the game flexable enough to allow all ways of play.
Food for thought indeed. Sorry for the tread jack.
Last edited by ClymAngus on Wed May 27, 2009 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.