Joystick/Controller Survey

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

What make/model of joystick/controller do you use, and how well does it work?

Saitek and everything works great
8%
Saitek with some issues
8%
Logitech and everything works great
28%
Logitech with some issues
12%
CH Products and everything works great
No votes
CH Products with some issues
8%
Trust and everything works great
4%
Trust with some issues
12%
Xbox 360 controller and everything works great
8%
Xbox 360 controller with some issues
12%

Total votes: 25

mkIII
Poor
Poor

Post by mkIII »

Saitek Cyborg gold

centering is not perfect in oolite under Linux using Jscal.

Keyboard: not precise enough.

OOlite is very nice btw!
Last edited by mkIII on Tue May 26, 2009 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
_ds_
Deadly
Deadly

Post by _ds_ »

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. Works fine, except for a slight issue with the ‘twist’ axis (but I think that that's the stick itself at fault). There was a problem with the hat not being recognised, but that quickly got fixed with a little Oolite hacking :)
http://tartarus.org/~ds/oolite/patches, Buzzer OXP etc.
Tivva
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Right behind you in a cloaked Thargoid Warship prototype

Post by Tivva »

Thargoid wrote:
How about the option of "no joystick and works perfectly"? Some of us have enough fingers to play Oolite with just the keyboard ;)
I'm with Thargy.
I prefer to use the keyboard over a joystick, although i suspect Thargy has an advantage over us humans... :lol:
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Tivva wrote:
Thargoid wrote:
How about the option of "no joystick and works perfectly"? Some of us have enough fingers to play Oolite with just the keyboard ;)
I'm with Thargy.
I prefer to use the keyboard over a joystick, although i suspect Thargy has an advantage over us humans... :lol:
I don't mind keyboard at all, though I find on some of the 'livelier' ships, (those with high pitch/roll settings) even very brief taps on the keyboard move things around too much, making targeting ships difficult, particularly at longer ranges, to say nothing of trying to line up for manual docking. The joystick, on the other hand, makes fine adjustments an absolute delight.. :D
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

CH Products Combatstick 568
I have/had the Precision Toggle problem, and the "Minor Reverse Thrust" issues.

Other than those, I love my CH!
Zanasj
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Zanasj »

I'm using a keyboard, having given my old joystick away a long time ago. As said previously on this thread, sniping becomes difficult, especially with a maneuverable ship. In my experience, it is possible to adapt to most other situations. And fry pirates.

Docking may not be exactly smooth with keyboard, but the yaw makes it easy enough. Unless you're flying a PCC and dock flying on the side, so to speak...
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick.
Operating system is Windows XP Home Edition.
Oolite version 1.71.2

Issue(s): Rudder/yaw problems. Movement of the joystick in axes other than the yaw axis causes wild yawing results.

Current Solution: Yaw axis disabled in Oolite joystick menu.
Yaw axis routed to keyboard keys is working.
Although the keyboard control is less precise because it is an "on/off" function rather than a variable input/result function.

My joystick functions properly in other games (Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3, for example).
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
MoonShadow
Poor
Poor

(Am I thread-necro-ing?)

Post by MoonShadow »

Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2, no problems at all :D
Eeebuntu (8.10), Oolite 1.73.3

I have to use the keyboard for a few things, but the stick has 8 buttons, which is enough.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

My product isn't on the list.

Thrustmaster Dual Firestorm 2 Controller - works fab under Ubuntu and XP.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Quite a few aren't on the list unfortunately.. and I can't edit the poll, or I'd have added them.. :evil:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
mitchelln
Average
Average

Yaw problem

Post by mitchelln »

I've got a problem with yaw. Running 1.74 under Ubuntu 9.04 with an USB Xbox 360 controller. Also does it with version 1.73.4 under Windows.

The problem is this. When you specify the axis to use for yaw, it asks you to fully deflect the axis you want to use. So I do this by deflecting the right-hand analog controller either left or right. Then in the game it always yaws in that direction until you correct it. It then does it again the next time you yaw in that direction. Makes it unusable.

I've noticed that it yaws in the direction you deflected the controller during the selection.

I've run jcal when running the Ubuntu version and I don't see this problem in other games.

Any ideas?

Centering is also a little iffy under the Ubuntu version. I often have to "tap" the analog controller to stop pitch/roll etc.
phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

Post by phonebook »

joystick versus keyboard was always the big argument years ago

from my recolection, the bbc and spectrum users prefered keys and the c64 people prefered a joystick

the key people always said that the keys were more responsive/superior/etc etc etc, the truth of the matter was, the c64 had a handy joystick port - all 64 games were played with a joystick (just like atari 400 or 800) whereas the speccy you had to put a kempston or whatever slot thing in, and on the bbc- well i seem to remember that being as unjoystick friendly a machine as you could have dreamt of

i wonder if for good measure the literature that came with the beeb and speccy versions reassured folk that keys were best? i do remember so many of their users protesting the point to me

however if there are many c64 users who didnt use a joystick, i will eat humble pie
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

I found a guy willing to sell me a Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS setup in almost-new condition (I've handled it already) for $70...

Now, just gotta talk the wife into it...
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
I found a guy willing to sell me a Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS setup in almost-new condition (I've handled it already) for $70...

Now, just gotta talk the wife into it...
Cougars are sorta infamous for crap axis pots, weak centering springs and slightly lacking yokes. Otherwise it's good solid hardware, and the programming wares are above-board.

There's aftermarket upgrade kits that fix the abovementioned issues, if you're willing to get jiggy with some hardware surgery. And the word is Thrustmaster tackled those problems in more recent versions.

Just something to be aware of before you lay your $$$ down.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Hey, there's no option for keyboard, no issues! :P
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)