Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

What's the status of the translations ?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

SwissMäc wrote:
You're right, I have it in uppercase in the text and it gets overridden but I can't find the lowercase settings ?
The key does not exist in the original descriptions.plist because it is not necessary for English. You will have to add it yourself. Open the descriptions.plist of your OXP and put this line at the end, before the final closing brace:

Code: Select all

"lowercase_ignore"		= yes;
The reason it is printed lower case even if you have it capitalized is that when it appears inside an english text in the middle of the sentence, it has to be lowercase. Even if you make it StrAhlLaSER, it will still be written lowercase, unless you define the above key.
No, I haven't forgot that, but I discovered a strange behavior, if you hold shift at the start of Oolite, all the OXP will be reloaded, but not complete if you hold shift when you open a saved game.
Cache refresh with Shift is meant to work only on game startup, not when you load a saved game.
"contracts-@-a-@-wishes-to-go-to-@" = "%@, ein %@, möchte nach %@.";

The first %@ is the name and is OK.
The second %@ is the species, but where will it be defined, it have to adapt it for german ?
The third %@ is the destination an correct, too.
This is correct. In the 0.1 version of your OXP that I have downloaded, the above text is in English, though. As for the species name, it is handled internally in the code and is built out of its components specified in descriptions.plist under the inhabitants section.

Hope this clears things up.
_ds_
Deadly
Deadly

Post by _ds_ »

another_commander wrote:
Polish: OSH was working on it. Current status is unknown and I think there were some problems related to planet descriptions.
FWIW, I'm currently part of the way through a rework of the plural-handling support. I'm doing this because not all languages have simple plurals; and I happen to know from some .po files which I have lying around that Polish is one which doesn't: AIUI, you get one plural for numbers ending in 2, 3 and 4 (but not 12, 13 and 14), and one for everything else.

Whoever wants to play with the patch before it gets committed will need Oolite trunk source code and patches/plural_handling from the URL below.

(Alternatively, we could use gettext.)
http://tartarus.org/~ds/oolite/patches, Buzzer OXP etc.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Might be worth talking to radcapricorn about the plurals issue, as russian has the same thing (but different rules by the sound of it).
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

_ds_ wrote:
(Alternatively, we could use gettext.)
If possible, I would prefer keeping external dependencies to the minimum necessary. I think your patch should be OK for what we need to do.
radcapricorn
Competent
Competent

Post by radcapricorn »

_ds_ wrote:
FWIW, I'm currently part of the way through a rework of the plural-handling support. I'm doing this because not all languages have simple plurals; and I happen to know from some .po files which I have lying around that Polish is one which doesn't: AIUI, you get one plural for numbers ending in 2, 3 and 4 (but not 12, 13 and 14), and one for everything else.
Supporting Cmdr James' suggestion, I must say it's not that easy. Don't know exactly how are things going for Polish, but for Russian or, say, Ukranian, plurals are a real mess. Because we have such a property for nouns as 'kind' (masculine/feminine). I mean, in English there are nouns too that sound/are spelled differently for 'he', 'she', 'it' (like actor - actress), but still to get a plural in most cases it'd be enough to add 's' or 'es' suffix.

In Russian it's a mess. Because plural suffixes depend on this 'kind'. I'll try to make a simple example.

English:
One glass of wine on the table, one bottle of beer on the wall.
Two glasses of wine on the table, two bottles of beer on the wall.
Eight glasses of wine on the table, eight bottles of beer on the wall.

In Russian (I'll transliterate in case you don't have cyrillic fonts) 'a glass' is 'bokal', and't it's 'he' (yes, it's male :-) ), and 'a bottle' is 'bootylka', and it's 'she' (yes, a girl :-) ):
(the translation is pretty straightforward, 1:1):

Odin bokal vina na stole, odna bootylka piva na stene.
Dva bokala vina na stole, dve bootylki piva na stene.
Vosem' bokalov vina na stole, Vosem' bootylok piva na stene.

I've highlighted the interesting parts with bold font. You see how in English 'one' and 'two' remain consistent for both nouns, and the nouns themselves gain the same plural suffix. Now in russian, not only 'one' for glass is different from 'one' for bottle, the suffixes are just way dependant on what kind of word they are appended to.

The mess even continues with, say, 'wine -> of wine'. In my language that would be 'vino -> vina'.

But enough of these language lessons :D It seems to me that there isn't simple way of unifying this processing without turning Oolite into full-scale language-genius machine. :-(
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

This is the reason why I recommend to translators that they create their own description arrays from scratch if they have to. The original Oolite descriptions are made with English in mind, but this does not mean that a different array set cannot be created for a different language if necessary. Yes I know, it's still hard work, but it should be possible. The structure of the arrays does not necessarily have to be one array for noun, one for adjective etc., they could contain entire pieces of phrases if necessary, in order to accomodate specific language idioms, even at the expense of variety of expressions and phrases available for display.
_ds_
Deadly
Deadly

Post by _ds_ »

radcapricorn wrote:
Supporting Cmdr James' suggestion, I must say it's not that easy. Don't know exactly how are things going for Polish, but for Russian or, say, Ukranian, plurals are a real mess. Because we have such a property for nouns as 'kind' (masculine/feminine).
I've seen that in other languages. I'm aware that in French, this is true for all nouns, which affects which form of "the", "a" etc.
In Russian it's a mess. Because plural suffixes depend on this 'kind'. I'll try to make a simple example.

English:
One glass of wine on the table, one bottle of beer on the wall.
Two glasses of wine on the table, two bottles of beer on the wall.
Eight glasses of wine on the table, eight bottles of beer on the wall.
Well… we don't need to represent numbers as words, except where they're literals in the text in which case they'll be translated anyway. For dynamic numeric content, representation as strings of digits is sufficient.

With that in mind and assuming that you're always using the same number twice there, in English you get two strings for translation:

Code: Select all

"glass_bottle%0" = "%d glass of wine on the table, %d bottle of beer on the wall."
"glass_bottle%1" = "%d glasses of wine on the table, %d bottles of beer on the wall."
(The same printf() or [NSString stringWithFormat:] or whatever would be used for both, so we need to match up the conversion specifiers.)
In Russian (I'll transliterate in case you don't have cyrillic fonts)
Well… the default font appears to cover the Cyrillic alphabet…
[…]
But enough of these language lessons :D It seems to me that there isn't simple way of unifying this processing without turning Oolite into full-scale language-genius machine. :(
I don't see any need to do that.

Well, not at present, anyway :twisted:
http://tartarus.org/~ds/oolite/patches, Buzzer OXP etc.
SwissMäc
Competent
Competent

Post by SwissMäc »

Here german version 0.3.

As good as it gets without redesign the engine to multi-language support.
Hope to find it on the OXP-List and good luck to the other translators !
SwissMäc
Competent
Competent

Post by SwissMäc »

I found a place to host it permanently, and I put it on the wiki but only in the list of "Other objects and miscellaneous eyecandy" (on http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/OXP).

But how can I bring it in the "Table of all OXPs" without change the colors of all the following row's ?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

SwissMäc wrote:
I found a place to host it permanently, and I put it on the wiki but only in the list of "Other objects and miscellaneous eyecandy" (on http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/OXP).

But how can I bring it in the "Table of all OXPs" without change the colors of all the following row's ?
I'm about to update that table with several OXPs that are missing.. leave it with me and I'll include yours as well... (that table color is a pain when adding new OXPs isn't it?)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

config/descriptions.plist

contains Alot of names, like birds and so on..

sleepy.. Didn't see page 2
Bounty Scanner
Number 935