Vector Map

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Kob's ladder added and Disembodied added to the contributor list (updates this evening)

So what about this last zone then? Any ideas? Any takers? :D

Chart 3 progress, purple routes currently being drawn (work permitting), one fifth complete. .
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

The region in the top left – the sort of fish-shaped cluster that's only accessible through the poor industrial Anarchy of Isusle – could do with a name. "The Bottleneck", maybe?

And there's a long string of agricultural worlds running from the bottom left, starting at Cerisoma, stretching off to the rich agricultural planets of Anesce, Riedin and Dierbeer ... you could call that "The Fertile Crescent" (except it's not very crescent-y). Or "The Food Chain".
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Fertile Crescent very clever and historically quite significant . I like that.

It's in.

Couple of other 80's throw backs too for good measure .

I'll have it online by 10.
goran
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by goran »

Disembodied wrote:
I'd vote for Kob's Ladder, myself. It's got the Slavic fate/fortune thing and is also reminiscent of "Jacob's Ladder". Plus at the moment anyway the only extra connotation I can find for "Kob" is a Sub-Saharan antelope ...
The word kob means destiny in Croatian.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

gorans wrote:
Disembodied wrote:
I'd vote for Kob's Ladder, myself. It's got the Slavic fate/fortune thing and is also reminiscent of "Jacob's Ladder". Plus at the moment anyway the only extra connotation I can find for "Kob" is a Sub-Saharan antelope ...
The word kob means destiny in Croatian.
Destiny's Ladder - sound pretty cool! (A fortuitous choice of Kob!)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

That's the right name :D
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

map 2 updated. I think If no one has any suggestions for another area, then we're done. :D

Added a title for those 4 anarchy's on the left hand side.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

ClymAngus wrote:
"Hell's Trapezioid"?

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

ClymAngus wrote:
map 2 updated. I think If no one has any suggestions for another area, then we're done. :D

Wiki page updated.
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

These maps are very useful. Thank you for taking the time and effort to make them, ClymAgnus. Also, the names help make each map more flavorful.

How do you determine where the spaceways are, though? I'm not talking about the usual links between systems, just those marked with a special color.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

sweet! I've only got access to illustrator at work so that's cutting down the time on the weekend I can spend on this thing. This is a project that really does lend it's self to those 5 minute lulls during the day.

One of the things I'm doing at the moment is marking up what every system is connected to in layers in photoshop, so I can quickly and easily connect everything together. I'm hoping to have the routes for galaxy 3 mapped for the end of may but that might be pushing it a bit.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Planet # 215 in galaxy 2

Code: Select all

#215. Erreenen (115,42), {108,140,143,147,182,199,231,249} within 7.0 LY. Radius 2931 km.

Corporate State, Poor Ind. Pop. 5.8 B, Prod. 40832 MCr. HC: 8, TL: 13, Blue Bug-Eyed Frogs. 
    This world is mildly well known for its hoopy night life and Erreenenian Enleno brandy. 
is missing its name

a cropped pic

I just happend to notice, i'm not screening your work, which is great.. :-D
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Nemoricus wrote:
How do you determine where the spaceways are, though? I'm not talking about the usual links between systems, just those marked with a special color.
I'm not sure of the entire history of the Spaceways, but I believe Presti70 began them with his Trading Map of Galaxy One. It's a long time since I read it, but I think that thread details the evolution of the Spaceway Lanes.

That then led to the development of the Famous Planets Liners.oxp by Thargoid and P.A. Groove.

ClymAngus began his Vector map project, and then collaborated with Presti70 to combine their work into what became the Vector Map of Galaxy One. I'm not sure if Presti is involved with the continuing work on the other galaxies...

The story of the development of the Spaceway Lanes for Galaxy Two is detailed in some of the posts by ClymAngus earlier in this thread....
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

I see. Thank you for the information.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Nemoricus wrote:
I'm not sure of the entire history of the Spaceways, but I believe Presti70 began them with his Trading Map of Galaxy One. It's a long time since I read it, but I think that thread details the evolution of the Spaceway Lanes.

That then led to the development of the Famous Planets Liners.oxp by Thargoid and P.A. Groove.

ClymAngus began his Vector map project, and then collaborated with Presti70 to combine their work into what became the Vector Map of Galaxy One. I'm not sure if Presti is involved with the continuing work on the other galaxies...

The story of the development of the Spaceway Lanes for Galaxy Two is detailed in some of the posts by ClymAngus earlier in this thread....

That is about correct. I started them in Famous Planets. The first one was Spaceway L1 in Galaxy 1 from Lave to Lerelace. The idea of a spaceway is a route that tries to connect the far reaches and important hubs via the safest way. Sometimes though as is the case with Aronar (feudal) the spaceway has to pas through a dangerous system. However it try's to avoid it. Near Tianve (G1) Spaceway L4 passes excactly in between 2 feudal worlds to reach Tianve. I call that area myself : The Gate. It isn't named on the map though.

Presti70 included the spaceways in his maps.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709