Vector Map

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

What about these commiworlds in G2? Redline stars?
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Answering questions.

Post by ClymAngus »

1) things to fix.
OK so we have #215. Erreenen (115,42),{108,140,143,147,182,199,231,249} on Gal2. Thanks frame any other sets of eyes is good. I've come to accept there will be errors. Slowly over time they'll be spotted. There are no egos here. :)

Nemoricus wrote: Gal 2
World #98, Laribebi, is also missing its name.

I also spotted a screw up on galaxy 1. Tilinebi should be Tiinebi.

Redline stars; sweet. Makes perfect sense. I'll fix this tuesday.

2) Reasoning for the maps. The existing ones (apart from Presti70 work of course) had never been what I called "one glance useful". Also the future is flash, by doing the donkey work now and getting these vectored up and checked. It is going to be so much easier for some clever bod to pick up the ball and run with it.

3) Spacelanes. For map I I was just following pro rata the work of pagroove and Presti70. Although Presti isn't currently involved in map 2 that may change.

When picking the space lanes. I informed the board I was going to have a stab at it. I followed the general rules laid out earlier.

A) Try and stick to safer systems.
B) Have an idea of start point and end point.
C) Where possible make the routes generally profitable (altinating agri and industrial, rich and poor) There is a reason why that route was picked over the others after all.
D) Try and get a feel for the map as a whole and where conflict and monopolies might alter the route.
E) Nothing is cast in stone. If someone comes up with a more logical solution then cool.

For map 2 I noticed that communist systems gate keep a lot of the really important routes. The only alternatives usually run through anarchy systems. Given the communal culture of communism I would expect communist planets to be able to "negotiate" more efficiently between each other. This would allow them to put pressure on the wider galactic community to defer routes through their systems. This would of course also create rival routes, less safe more profitable.

This communist strangle hold also justifies the existence of the some what unique structures of "butchers row" and fiddler green. Communists have a back door into fiddlers green and butchers row is a useful way for ESRECE to remove dissidents by having them eaten on ERLAGE. As a result both have prospered and grown under communist protection.

This entire project is kind of like discovery. It enables us to look at these maps really for the first time, drink it all in and go "of course that's how it should be". The more people involved the better quite frankly. By coming up with a good name or a viable route, it involves people and brings the eight to life. It lays the ground work for future oxps and future stories.

I'll happily blow away any one of my names or routes if someone can justify a better one. :)
Last edited by ClymAngus on Mon May 25, 2009 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

When you think, all those years ago, B&B, ran hundreds of iterations, with different start seeds, until the placement, spread, and names (non-swear words) all fell into place. Only when you have produced such excellent work as your vector maps does the real genius and sense of the whole thing suddenly drop out of the chaos of pseudo-random.

I love what you're doing - please keep it up...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

pagroove wrote:
That is about correct. I started them in Famous Planets. The first one was Spaceway L1 in Galaxy 1 from Lave to Lerelace. The idea of a spaceway is a route that tries to connect the far reaches and important hubs via the safest way. Sometimes though as is the case with Aronar (feudal) the spaceway has to pas through a dangerous system. However it try's to avoid it. Near Tianve (G1) Spaceway L4 passes excactly in between 2 feudal worlds to reach Tianve. I call that area myself : The Gate. It isn't named on the map though.

Presti70 included the spaceways in his maps.
Ahh.. Thanks for the clarification, pagroove... I hadn't read the FP1 thread.. I might have to go back and do so...

You know, when all this mapping has been done, some really obsessive person could write one hell of a history of the Ooniverse!
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Diziet Sma wrote:
pagroove wrote:
That is about correct. I started them in Famous Planets. The first one was Spaceway L1 in Galaxy 1 from Lave to Lerelace. The idea of a spaceway is a route that tries to connect the far reaches and important hubs via the safest way. Sometimes though as is the case with Aronar (feudal) the spaceway has to pas through a dangerous system. However it try's to avoid it. Near Tianve (G1) Spaceway L4 passes excactly in between 2 feudal worlds to reach Tianve. I call that area myself : The Gate. It isn't named on the map though.

Ahh.. Thanks for the clarification, pagroove... I hadn't read the FP1 thread.. I might have to go back and do so...

You know, when all this mapping has been done, some really obsessive person could write one hell of a history of the Ooniverse!
This board is full of Obsessive people!!! :)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
pagroove wrote:

This board is full of Obsessive people!!! :)
That did indeed cross my mind! :lol:
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Nemoricus wrote:
erros fixed and new credits added. Will be uploaded in the next 10 hours.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

G1 and G2 updated. Moving G2 to the pretty much done pile. G3 is getting there. 2/3rds of the routes should be drawn by tomorrow evening.
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

This image shows what I consider to be the zones of influence of each SecCom station inG2. The areas are a bit arbitrary, but I had to draw lines somewhere.

I made great use of your map, ClymAgnus, in making this one. It's a very handy resource to have.

It's not pretty, but I'm mainly using it as a reference for myself.

If it helps anyone else, great.

I'm also working on a similar one for G1.

In the course of doing so, I found that World #79 in G1, Erlarge, is misspelled as Eriage and Maxeedso, World#249 in G1, is missing a link.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Nemoricus wrote:
This image shows what I consider to be the zones of influence of each SecCom station inG2. The areas are a bit arbitrary, but I had to draw lines somewhere.

I made great use of your map, ClymAgnus, in making this one. It's a very handy resource to have.

It's not pretty, but I'm mainly using it as a reference for myself.

If it helps anyone else, great.

I'm also working on a similar one for G1.

In the course of doing so, I found that World #79 in G1, Erlarge, is misspelled as Eriage and Maxeedso, World#249 in G1, is missing a link.
Well spotted! That's worth a map 1 credit! Sector response maps. Well yes, it's interesting and useful especially from a writing point of view. It would be relatively straight forward to take one of the existing numeric maps and section it up giving a clear indication of what would respond from where. It would go nicely under the seccom section of the wiki.

It's a good, relatively neat project for a burgeoning graphic designer to get their teeth stuck into. And one that won't drive you nuts like this one will. :D
Nemoricus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nemoricus »

Here's G1's zones.

The placement of SecCom stations wasn't as good here, I feel. There's a few places where it's five or more jumps to the nearest one. Actually, my purpose in making these was to help me figure out which worlds a given SecCom station should give missions in. I've finished the easy part, zoning. Now I need to list each world by name.

The only clarification that I think I need to make at the moment is that World #242 is part of World #33's response zone. If anyone wants to suggest changes, please so say now.

Should I start a new thread for this?

I didn't find any other problems with the maps. Good work. They are a great reference to have.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Sweet! Yes indeed I'd start a new thread. When your done we may get a bit of gimp going and see if we can't add a bit of glitz and glammar.

As a side note;

It has been brought to my attention that several oxp's fritz with the map information. In the interests of tracking this stuff down quickly and easily. (and so eventually it can be added to the existing maps in flash tick box form) I'm adding a small heading on the first page unimaginatvely called OXP's that fritz with the maps. So far I've got;

Assassins.
Aquatics
Shipyards
Ionics

If anyone can think of any more (or has written any more) then inform me and we'll see about how we're going to add them after we've done the basics. Not dealing with it particular bridge right now. :roll:
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The original Lave oxp does too. It changes the tech level to 8.

Lovecats changes Teance's (G4) government from democracy to feudal.

Cataclysm changes Tetier (G5)'s tech level from 5 to 1.

Plus perhaps others that I don't have to hand.
Last edited by Thargoid on Wed May 27, 2009 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

So, went through my whole oxp library and that should literally cover all oxps which are publicly available, and have created a complete list of oxps that change the sort of stats you are listing on your map. The list is not that long.

First, Realistic Shipyards does not alter any systems. OSE, which is as yet only a test version, does, but the systems in that one will stay as they are now, so this information is final.

All oxps that change the map are:

Assassins
Aquatics
Famous Planets 2.0
Ionics
Lave
Lovecats
Oolite Shipyards Extension WiP V0.4

Cheers

L